Author Topic: EPIC title: (Bill) Clinton urges monogamy...  (Read 5832 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: EPIC title: (Bill) Clinton urges monogamy...
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 12:23:20 pm »
Huh, so?  You're pretty much describing almost everything about human society today.  All of our laws, morals, etc.  Your argument is based off relativity, and mostly everything is relative besides our primal instinct to survive.
No, I think that morals can come about from logic reasoning, and (good) laws are based off morals. Morals can be derived from first principals, and a lot of philosophers have done just that.

But yes, I do think that a lot of stuff about human society is deeply flawed. I'm surprised you haven't noticed that from my various posts. :)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 01:45:32 pm »
Huh, so?  You're pretty much describing almost everything about human society today.  All of our laws, morals, etc.  Your argument is based off relativity, and mostly everything is relative besides our primal instinct to survive.

iago's just trying to justify his loneliness, let him be.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 03:32:06 pm »
All of this anecdotal support for marriage is really stupid.  The fact is that about 55% of Americans end up divorced.  It makes no difference in this discussion whether someone's aunt has been (happily) married for 20 years.

Joe: as far as I understand, annulment (usually) means that the church, (after being sufficiently bribed), retroactively declares the marriage to never have existed (to get around the 'no-divorce rule').  There are grounds for annulment, but basically the church will search for some rationalisation if you pay them enough cash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annulled
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 03:34:16 pm by Rule »

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 03:36:54 pm »
All of this anecdotal support for marriage is really stupid.  The fact is that about 55% of Americans end up divorced.  It makes no difference in this discussion whether someone's aunt has been (happily) married for 20 years.
"The plural of anecdote is not data."  :D
errr... something like that...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 04:52:03 pm »

Way to use mythical numbers to try to rationalize your point Rule!  Also, great job at being a hypocrite.

http://www.divorcerate.org/
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-07-18-cohabit-divorce_x.htm

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 10:03:13 pm »
CrAz3d, do you realize that you just posted contradictory sources?

Quote from: USA Today
The U.S. divorce rate is 17.7 per 1,000 married women

Quote from: divorcerate.org
The Americans for Divorce Reform estimates that "Probably, 40 or possibly even 50 percent of marriages will end in divorce if current trends continue."

So we see that USA Today states that the divorce rate is 1.77% (wtf?! typo?) and divorcerate.org says that it is between 40% and 50%.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 10:07:25 pm »
CrAz3d, do you realize that you just posted contradictory sources?

That would require reading what he actually posts. ::)

I think it's funny one of his sources actually supported Rule...
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 12:46:56 pm »
Where did I say that mine were correct?  I just said his were mythical and posted two sources contradicting HIS numbers.  I wasn't trying to prove any divorce rate, I was just trying to prove him wrong.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 01:22:13 pm »
Where did I say that mine were correct?  I just said his were mythical and posted two sources contradicting HIS numbers.  I wasn't trying to prove any divorce rate, I was just trying to prove him wrong.

Except you didn't contradict his sources, and you did two things bad for yourself:

• One of your sources basically supported his source (50 and 55 are close in percentage), and
• You proved sources can vary, so that his 55% could actually be a legitimate estimation from some other source, so you failed to prove him wrong.

Here's a source that says first-rate marriage divorce rate is 55%: http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=667688

The divorce rate for first time marriages is 55%, the divorce rate for 2nd marriages is 75%.
Those rates clearly show people cannot stand one another and will not tolerate nonsense from anyone, be it husband or wife.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 01:23:46 pm by Newby »
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 03:36:06 pm »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26095810?GT1=43001

More proof that I honestly do believe marriage is a failure.

Former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards on Friday admitted to an extramarital affair while his wife was battling cancer.

While his wife is battling cancer? Marriage vows usually say "until death do us part" and not "until the threat of death do us part" and this man was going to represent the country? My adulterous mother split my family apart, so maybe I just generally dislike adultery, but this man is pretty much walking scum. And not because he's a Democrat.
- Newby

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 04:10:55 pm »
Maybe just among liberal/progressive people?

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 04:12:32 pm »
My mom is a conservative Republican. I was cracking a joke about the Democrat part. :P
- Newby

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 06:06:52 pm »
Maybe just among liberal/progressive people?

Yeah, Ted Haggard, Nixon, and others, are shining examples of ethical people.

Newby:  As weird as it seems, I think betraying your spouse when he/she is in a time of crisis is pretty common :\.  I have an acquaintance who got cancer -- shortly after his wife left him.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 07:03:42 pm by Rule »

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 08:46:55 pm »
betraying your spouse when he/she is in a time of crisis is pretty common :\. 

It's still scummy.
- Newby