Author Topic: Warhammer Online!  (Read 13330 times)

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
Re: Warhammer Online!
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 11:24:02 am »
Server: Ironskin
Char: Benjy, Greenskin Squig Herder (Destruction)
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
  • Just let him in the fridge already!
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 05:52:11 pm »
Server: Ironskin
Char: Benjy, Greenskin Squig Herder (Destruction)

I  might come poke ya. :D We decided to play on Chaos Wastes I think, since it's Open RvR/RP. RP tends to keep the dumb noobs away, but it's hard to tell quite yet. Won't be entirely sure until Shawn comes home and we decide.

I'm rolling a Witch Elf named Dexith, and a Zealot named Tarish. For now.  ::)

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 01:01:51 am »
nice. yea, once the game is rid of all the whacky animation issues it's currently containing, it'll be a pretty solid release. i can only imagine what future patches will contain if the initial game is this good.there's so much content, and so many cool things to do. i didn't realize how fun the public quests would be until i did a few. they're pretty addicting, really. lol

i'd have to say, though, that wow will still reign supreme on the pve raiding content. warhammer doesn't sound like it's going to really even offer anything similar to 25 man raids, etc.

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 02:05:50 pm »

i'd have to say, though, that wow will still reign supreme on the pve raiding content. warhammer doesn't sound like it's going to really even offer anything similar to 25 man raids, etc.

There's a few, but you are right. The game centers around PvP, not PvE; even the PvE is really partly PvP. The closest you'll see to raiding is the larger PQ's (especially the difficult rated ones, they're a freaking  BITCH and a half. Lord (as opposed to Champion/Hero) ranked mobs are insanely ridiculous), the Dungeons we'll be hitting at later in the game (which are Open, but have an instanced boss encounter(s) or "wings" that are 6-mans), Lairs (high level mob chambers in low level areas), and the King Capture instance at the end of a city-siege, which is a 24 man, and gives the best loot in the game.

Looking at that, it actually sounds like a lot... But there won't  be the sheer number there is in WoW. The PvP is key, though... And I absolutely love it. I hope you're having the luck I am right now, but, Squig Herders unfortunately need a lot of work right now.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 08:52:51 pm »
haha yea, when i picked up my pre-order today from gamestop, the guy said sorry when i mentioned being a squig herder. i dunno, i haven't done any rvr or anything, so i haven't really noticed many issues. the main issue for me right now is that my squig has some whacky behavior. he doesn't attack as well as pets do on wow. it takes him a second or so to realize i told him to do anything, and then he runs in a wrong direction, and then magically appears at the mob i told it to attack. i don't know, there's still a lot of small bugs that need to be worked out, but all in all, this is a very smooth and nice early release.

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 01:57:52 am »
haha yea, when i picked up my pre-order today from gamestop, the guy said sorry when i mentioned being a squig herder. i dunno, i haven't done any rvr or anything, so i haven't really noticed many issues. the main issue for me right now is that my squig has some whacky behavior. he doesn't attack as well as pets do on wow. it takes him a second or so to realize i told him to do anything, and then he runs in a wrong direction, and then magically appears at the mob i told it to attack. i don't know, there's still a lot of small bugs that need to be worked out, but all in all, this is a very smooth and nice early release.

Pet pathing's been a huge issue. Apparently it was fine in Closed Beta, and then right before Open Beta Mythic did something really weird to try and make it perfect and it ended up breaking the whole AI responsiveness, including pets. That's one reason that pet classes are so gimped right now. :-/ Another is that.. Well.. They're gimped.

DO RVR. The scenarios will be reminiscent of WoW, but I'm endlessly entertained by them. Open world RvR is also pretty sweet.

So, we ended up not being happy with Chaos Wastes, so we rerolled on Praag. Now have a zealot there, Tarish, up to level 16. Woooo. Will start leveling another Witch Elf there later this week.

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 05:37:39 am »
You know, FreaK-a-leek-O, that most of these games are exercises in futility right? You probably won't end up #1, and will just play till you've wasted a lot of time and a lot of money. I don't want to start an argument, I'm just bringing up something I hope you think about, preferably over coffee.
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 08:03:22 am »
You know, FreaK-a-leek-O, that most of these games are exercises in futility right? You probably won't end up #1, and will just play till you've wasted a lot of time and a lot of money. I don't want to start an argument, I'm just bringing up something I hope you think about, preferably over coffee.
It's not about being the best, it's about having fun. It's a game. If you are having more fun than you would have had otherwise, is the time and money really wasted? Do you go to golf courses and tell people to pack up their clubs and go home because they are wasting their time and money, since they will never win a PGA tour?
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline topaz~

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2008, 09:23:52 am »
It's not about being the best, it's about having fun. It's a game. If you are having more fun than you would have had otherwise, is the time and money really wasted? Do you go to golf courses and tell people to pack up their clubs and go home because they are wasting their time and money, since they will never win a PGA tour?
Well, they can never be like Tiger Woods, he is just too awesome.

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 11:04:37 am »
I think Hitmen makes a good point there, because the last year that I paid for WoW, not enjoying it but playing it so I had something to do with my boyfriend while we were living apart, was a complete waste of money. WoW was fun for me for a long time, but I could only handle the constant grinding for experience, reputation, gear, and status for so long. And just looking at the WotLK expansion makes me howl with laughter. Blizzard is just giving everyone fun toys to blow each other up at this point, completely putting any sense of skill out of the game. It'll go to gear, spec, and timing -- which luck, the internetz, and luck all contribute to.

I wanted something different, and I'll put my money into what I feel gives me the most enjoyment. It'd cost me the same amount per month to go bowling for one day, or go to the movies once, or buy a few movies that would last one night. I'm having fun with this, and if it only lasts me a few months, then whatever. If it lasts me a few years, than kudos to Mythic.

And, you should've considered not calling me 'FreaK-a-leeko-O' if you didn't want to start an argument. I'll inevitably ignore you for sounding like a douchebag anyways, though.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 11:17:17 am »
You're level 16 already? I must be doing something wrong, because I'm still level 6! I haven't been playing very hardcore, though. I probably only have 3 hours of /played time.

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 11:32:46 am »
You're level 16 already? I must be doing something wrong, because I'm still level 6! I haven't been playing very hardcore, though. I probably only have 3 hours of /played time.

As long as you're enjoying it, the time doesn't really matter -- I leveled in PW, then in Beta, then in Live and then restarted... So I knew the starting zone like the back of my hand. It's really easy to do things quickly when you know how to do it all and when to do what. Also, I spend a lot of time in large groups for PQs, and at early levels, scenarios give a TON of experience. At the end of a scenario, you get the equivalent of 3 quests-worth of experience (at least, at level 16) as well as a bunch of renown. Plus, there's quests for the scenarios, and later on quests to kill players. The way to level the fastest is to mix PvP/PvE as best as you can.

Also, as a Sorceress/Zealot duo, the Sorc can AoE grind pretty effectively and Zealot heals are decent at this level, so that helps a bunch. Just try to circulate around Public Quests where there's more than a couple of people working on them -- get into the Open Group if there is one -- and you'll be farming decent experience and influence. Queue yourself for scenarios when you can, and make sure you  have the quests.

And yeah. We got to level 6/7 in one evening, and then spent a whole day with the boyfriend grinding to level 16. It actually probably isn't even a good idea to be leveling quick at this point, if you get too far ahead of the major leveling crowd, then there's no PvP to be had. :(

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 11:36:26 am »
Also, you get a bit of experience for getting killed by different classes (since it's a Tome Unlock), if you get killed once by all the Order classes, it adds up to about 2k experience right there. I <3 Tome. :D

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 10:19:52 pm »
And, you should've considered not calling me 'FreaK-a-leeko-O' if you didn't want to start an argument. I'll inevitably ignore you for sounding like a douchebag anyways, though.

Holy shit chill, what the fuck? Your tone seriously just scared the fuck out of me. I was merely asking your thoughts, don't bite my dick off or anything. Different perceptions of game genres don't require a major war among brethren.
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2008, 03:43:17 am »

Holy shit chill, what the fuck? Your tone seriously just scared the fuck out of me. I was merely asking your thoughts, don't bite my dick off or anything. Different perceptions of game genres don't require a major war among brethren.

Sorry, it just didn't come across like you were trying to be constructive. My fault for reading it wrong... Though really, FreaK-a-leek-O? Where'd that come from? XD