Author Topic: Spore blasted for draconian DRM  (Read 8981 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Spore blasted for draconian DRM
« on: September 09, 2008, 10:13:14 am »
http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000FKBCX4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1_cm_cr_acr_img?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I think the Amazon reviews speak for themselves:
1,408 Reviews
5 star:    2%     (31)
4 star:    1%     (22)
3 star:    0%     (10)
2 star:    2%     (31)
1 star:    93%     (1,314)

People are upset (with good reason) at Spore's DRM. After 3 activations, that's it, unless you want to call EA support, prove that you own it, explain why you need a new activation, and get one free activation at a time. And, if you aren't in the US, prepare for some big long distance charges.

Also, if people want to go back and play this game in 10 or 20 years (and I play a lot of games from 10 - 20 years ago!), unless EA is still actively supporting it you're completely out of luck (without, of course, a crack)!

I also love how people were playing the game a week before it came out, despite their attempts at DRM. Justice! :D

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
Re: Spore blasted for draconian DRM
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 04:41:19 pm »
http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000FKBCX4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1_cm_cr_acr_img?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I think the Amazon reviews speak for themselves:
1,408 Reviews
5 star:    2%     (31)
4 star:    1%     (22)
3 star:    0%     (10)
2 star:    2%     (31)
1 star:    93%     (1,314)

People are upset (with good reason) at Spore's DRM. After 3 activations, that's it, unless you want to call EA support, prove that you own it, explain why you need a new activation, and get one free activation at a time. And, if you aren't in the US, prepare for some big long distance charges.

Also, if people want to go back and play this game in 10 or 20 years (and I play a lot of games from 10 - 20 years ago!), unless EA is still actively supporting it you're completely out of luck (without, of course, a crack)!

I also love how people were playing the game a week before it came out, despite their attempts at DRM. Justice! :D

Haha!  My roomy was telling me about this.  That's pretty stupid of EA IMO, especially since it was leaked a week before it even came out!
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 04:56:25 pm »
Yeah, from what I've heard, they really went overboard with DRM.  I was going to order it off of Amazon yesterday and I was shocked when I saw the 1-star rating.  Every single comment I read (all of the first five pages or so) mentioned DRM.

The fact that it was cracked so easily just means that DRM is only punishing the people that actually want to pay for the game.  What a bunch of bullshit.  They screwed the pooch on this one.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 04:58:12 pm »
The best part is that it was available before it was released, in spite of all the DRM. Ha! :)

I wonder how EA is going to response (or how they responded) to it.

<edit> up to 1611 / 1738 reviews at 1 star. :)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 05:16:19 pm »
The best part is that it was available before it was released, in spite of all the DRM. Ha! :)

Like any other company that doesn't care would: ignore it completely.

I'm glad I tried out the game before it came out. Saved me $60. And apparently a headache with that DRM. :P

And I hate to say it, but DRM always punishes the legitimate customer. It's simply an obstacle in the way of releasing the game for pirates, but it's an obstacle in enjoying your $60 game for consumers. One's interested in disabling it completely, the other shouldn't even have to deal with it. It's like paying to rent a game. :/
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 05:18:42 pm »
It's hard to ignore getting abysmal ratings on important sites.

And I hate to say it, but DRM always punishes the legitimate customer. It's simply an obstacle in the way of releasing the game for pirates, but it's an obstacle in enjoying your $60 game for consumers. One's interested in disabling it completely, the other shouldn't even have to deal with it. It's like paying to rent a game. :/
Do you really hate to say it? More like it's bloody obvious! :P

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 08:17:36 pm »

They'll just have Amazon remove the ratings. And it'll go back up, and they'll do it again. :P

People bitched about Mass Effect, and they didn't fix anything.
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 08:23:26 pm »

They'll just have Amazon remove the ratings. And it'll go back up, and they'll do it again. :P

People bitched about Mass Effect, and they didn't fix anything.

I'm not so sure that's the case.  I'm also not sure Amazon would comply.

Mass Effect didn't have nearly as much hype on the PC as Spore did.  With the real Spore's only platform being the PC, they have a lot more at stake.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 09:05:31 pm »
1718 negative reviews. :D

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 12:24:02 am »
2000 negative reviews. And it's #4 in games sales.

Are people really stupid? Or just don't care?
- Newby

Offline c0Ld

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 03:56:36 am »
Both, I'd say. I never really cared about Spore and still don't, although I may download it some time in the distant future if I get bored enough. It's definitely not the kind of title I'd spend my money on.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 10:19:57 am »
Both, I'd say. I never really cared about Spore and still don't, although I may download it some time in the distant future if I get bored enough. It's definitely not the kind of title I'd spend my money on.
I downloaded it just because it has really nasty DRM. I'm didn't even really want to play it, I think I made it like 25 minutes into the game before I got bored.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 03:52:53 pm »
"There are no customer reviews yet."
lol

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 04:03:00 pm »
Called it.
- Newby

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 04:11:02 pm »
Called it.
Now for MY prediction: that makes things worse.

Remember when Digg deleted a story about that hddvd key? People seriously dislike censorship. :)