Author Topic: "Applicant Data"  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
"Applicant Data"
« on: November 25, 2008, 12:02:35 pm »
I'm filling out an online job application, and there's an "optional" section entitled "Applicant Data".  Not surprisingly, it asks questions pertaining to ethnic background, sex, age, etc.

I'm wondering if it's ever beneficial to fill this out, especially when you're not a minority.  The wording they use to describe "optional" is the following:
Applicant Data (optional)

The section is optional for all candidates. If you decide not to complete this section, it will not impact the assessment of your application.

Offline Lead

• x86
  • Shaman of Sexy.
    • View Profile
Re: "Applicant Data"
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »
I'm filling out an online job application, and there's an "optional" section entitled "Applicant Data".  Not surprisingly, it asks questions pertaining to ethnic background, sex, age, etc.

I'm wondering if it's ever beneficial to fill this out, especially when you're not a minority.  The wording they use to describe "optional" is the following:
Applicant Data (optional)

The section is optional for all candidates. If you decide not to complete this section, it will not impact the assessment of your application.

Here's what you need to say:

I am a 36 year old black army veteran who is on welfare. I have 8 kids (with all different mothers) and don't pay them a dime.

That sentence will guarantee you the job.

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 12:05:47 pm »
Hahaha.  Seriously, though.  I'm under the impression that I'll be better off if I just don't fill it out.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 12:13:49 pm »
In Massachusetts, they're not even allowed to put optional questions like that on job applications. I'd say don't fill it out unless you are a minority - theoretically, it is totally irrelevant, but it only has the potential to help you if you're a minority.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 12:17:43 pm »
In Massachusetts, they're not even allowed to put optional questions like that on job applications. I'd say don't fill it out unless you are a minority - theoretically, it is totally irrelevant, but it only has the potential to help you if you're a minority.

Yeah.  There was an amendment on the CO ballot to ban affirmative action this year, but it didn't pass.  It was a really close call, though.  This is for a government job, though, so I'm not sure if state laws apply?

Alright, that's what I figured.