Author Topic: Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving!  (Read 5657 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving!
« on: October 12, 2008, 11:10:06 am »
Time to celebrate the conquering and destruction of another civilization by eating defenseless birds! Woo!

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
Re: Happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 12:06:35 pm »
Yep.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 12:57:15 pm »
Time to celebrate the conquering and destruction of another civilization by eating delicious defenseless birds! Woo!

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 02:05:09 pm »
I think the spirit of thanksgiving is pretty decent. :P

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 09:12:34 am »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 10:44:13 am »
lol, I was about to post that.  Damn you. :P

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 10:54:45 am »
LOL

Though, I'm not sure that Canadia's Thanksgiving is really any different than our own.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 12:13:47 pm »
Yeah, that comic doesn't make sense.

The history of Thanksgiving in Canada goes back to an explorer, Martin Frobisher, who had been trying to find a northern passage to the Orient. In the year 1578, he held a formal ceremony, in what is now the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, to give thanks for surviving the long journey.

The first recorded Thanksgiving ceremony was on September 8, 1565 in what is now Saint Augustine, Florida. Six hundred Spaniard settlers under the leadership of Pedro Menéndez de Avilés landed at what would become the city and immediately held a Mass of Thanksgiving for their safe delivery to the New World, followed by a feast and celebration.

They were initially created by different people for different reasons. :P

<edit> -- and incidentally, it was celebrated long before our countries even existed! :P

Plus, ours is a simple holiday to eat food and celebrate, not a insanely commercialized shopping day!

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 12:20:41 pm by iago »

Offline Lead

• x86
  • Shaman of Sexy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 12:43:28 pm »

The history of Thanksgiving in Canada goes back to an explorer, Martin Frobisher, who had been trying to find a northern passage to the Orient. In the year 1578, he held a formal ceremony, in what is now the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, to give thanks for surviving the long journey.

The first recorded Thanksgiving ceremony was on September 8, 1565 in what is now Saint Augustine, Florida. Six hundred Spaniard settlers under the leadership of Pedro Menéndez de Avilés landed at what would become the city and immediately held a Mass of Thanksgiving for their safe delivery to the New World, followed by a feast and celebration.

<edit> -- and incidentally, it was celebrated long before our countries even existed! :P

Plus, ours is a simple holiday to eat food and celebrate, not a insanely commercialized shopping day!

The insane shopping day is the day after thanksgiving, which is black friday. I will never go out on this day again.

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 01:12:33 pm »
Incidentally, I just finished my Christmas shopping!

Additionally, this is the first time I've ever started before mid-December, lol.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 01:25:44 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke

Offline Lead

• x86
  • Shaman of Sexy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 01:31:31 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 01:39:46 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIAF_Lead

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 01:48:31 pm »

This is one of those times that keeping the nested quote would have been beneficial, since you were referencing both it and my post. :P

Anyways, it may be a joke, but it's a joke at the expense of my country for something that isn't even true. I can't just let that slide! :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 02:13:54 pm »

This is one of those times that keeping the nested quote would have been beneficial, since you were referencing both it and my post. :P

Anyways, it may be a joke, but it's a joke at the expense of my country for something that isn't even true. I can't just let that slide! :P

Whatever, you crazy Canuck!