Author Topic: Hacker (by Steve Jackson)  (Read 3300 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Hacker (by Steve Jackson)
« on: November 01, 2008, 02:47:46 pm »
Hacker is a card-based game made by Steve Jackson Games. It was inspired by a raid by the secret service, where the SS took their computers, modems, disks, and a pocket calculator. Allegedly, it was because they thought the rules for GURPS: Cyberpunk was an actual manual for hacking, and, additionally, one of the employees was a member of an actual Hacking group.

In any case, in the couple years after the raid, they got most of the stuff back (with difficulty), although a lot of it had been broken. As a result, Steve Jackson Games had to lay off half their employees and narrowly skirted bankruptcy.

After all was said and done, they decided to make a game out of it. The game is called Hacker. And it rocks.

Basically, you start with a small network in the middle of the table. The computers are connected to it, and some of them are "indials", which means you can call them directly. You have some hardware in front of you that can be upgraded for more or stronger hacks. You can start by attempting to hack any of the indials. When you're in, you have control of it and can connect to computers nearby. Multiple people can hack the same system, but if there are too many on a single box the admin might notice and "clean house" (ie, attempt to kick people off). You can have user access or root access to each box (you get more bonuses with root and it's harder to kick you off).

There are a lot of optional rules, including the introduction of viruses and worms. We haven't played with those yet.

All in all, it's a crazily fun game! We played two rounds yesterday for the first time (me and two buddies) and had a blast!

In the second game, we got right to the end, I was one turn away from winning. Then the guy beside me (who's also on the verge of winning) plays a card that re-structures the network, and he broke my connection between my dialin and the pentagon, which meant I lost access to my accounts (although they were still there, I couldn't use them). Then he decided to narc on me, but he blew his roll (rolled 1 1 on 2d6!) and got raided, which means he lost all his equipment. Luckily, he made his roll not to get busted (which means he got to keep some stuff), until I played a card that forced a bust. Ha!

Then, on his next turn (I naturally didn't win and the third guy was way behind), he pulls a "raid" card, which he plays on me! So I get raided, and lose all my stuff! Gah! So suddenly, me and him are back to almost nothing, and the third guy, who was nowhere close to winning, won!

But yeah, it's so much fun. I couldn't recommend it more! :)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Hacker (by Steve Jackson)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 04:51:18 pm »
If you could post a PDF on how to play it... or explain it in terms of cards... go for it!
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 05:11:49 pm »
It requires cards from the actual game package, not a standard set of cards. Think like Magic: The Gathering or Illuminati, if you're familiar. It's more like modern Illuminati then Magic or old Illuminati because you just buy the full set of cards and you get them all. It's like $40 for the Deluxe set.

The rules and everything can be found here, but you need the set to play:
http://www.sjgames.com/hacker/

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 07:45:14 pm »
The next time I'm in Winnipeg, we shall play a game!
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 08:00:04 pm »
I agree!

I can easily get others to play, the guys I played with love it. :)

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 08:03:36 pm »
I love Magic, but I've never heard of the other one you mentioned.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 08:34:30 pm »
Illuminati is made by the same company as Hacker. It's really cool, and fairly popular among my friends.