Author Topic: Typing Tutor  (Read 10593 times)

Offline Maddi

• View Profile
Re: Typing Tutor
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 06:41:35 pm »
Yeah, my highest score on that one is 135 I think.

First try on a laptop with a keyboard I'm unfarmilar with (CTRL+BACKSPACE doesn't work like that on a Mac!) in which I took probably close to a second to drag my mousepad to the "stop timer" button. So eh I'm not really impressed. :/

And iago: I never use the right shift key. :)

1 mistake = try again
Has to be perfect. :)

It's actually really easy to fake your score in this.
Can get like 8000 wpm.

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 06:50:03 pm »
170 wpm is a world record???!  I can sustain about 230 WPM with QWERTY.  And I haven't been trying to break any records...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 06:52:35 pm »
170 wpm is a world record???!  I can sustain about 230 WPM with QWERTY.  And I haven't been trying to break any records...

lol, what the hell?  What do you get on the typing test that someone linked earlier in this thread?

http://www.speedye.com/archives/2004/05/worlds_fastest.html

Offline Maddi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 06:58:30 pm »

Yeah I'm sure you do.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 06:58:57 pm »
I honestly thought the record was 150 for an hour straight. But I guess I am misinformed.

Maddi, you miss my point:

How come I could barely get 135 on that last test which took maybe three quarters of a minute, and I take this one for three minutes straight and get nearly 10wpm higher?

Free internet typing tests may make you feel good, but they're in no way, shape or form very accurate or useful as a test of your abilities. What if I type faster when I am thinking of what I am going to type? What if these types of tests (ones where you write what you read) I do poorly at?
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Maddi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 07:03:07 pm »
I honestly thought the record was 150 for an hour straight. But I guess I am misinformed.

Maddi, you miss my point:

How come I could barely get 135 on that last test which took maybe three quarters of a minute, and I take this one for three minutes straight and get nearly 10wpm higher?

Free internet typing tests may make you feel good, but they're in no way, shape or form very accurate or useful as a test of your abilities. What if I type faster when I am thinking of what I am going to type? What if these types of tests (ones where you write what you read) I do poorly at?

Yes I'm aware.
I do know that I can type the alphabet abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz in 1.9 seconds. :)
http://www.addictinggames.com/fingerfrenzy.html

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 07:12:35 pm »
sorry guys, but my epeen is still way bigger.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 08:37:44 pm »
There's definitely a huge difference between transcribing and writing. But it's hard to measure how fast you think + type.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 08:39:23 pm »
Isn't slower typing speeds a side-effect of this?  If you have to move around the keyboard more often (which you do if you want to satisfy the property you gave), isn't it the case that you'll be typing slower than if you didn't have to move around as much?

I bet there's a simple study you could do to see if this is the case.  The rough frequency of appearances of characters in English is common knowledge.  If you do something to compute the offsets of each key from every other key, then multiply by its frequency and average that, it seems like it'd be a good rough measure of how "efficient" a keyboard layout is.
It may be a side effect, but it wasn't an intention. The idea that it was intended to slow people down is a common myth/misconception/whatever.

And it's sort of hard to test, because I find that I can type words faster when I switch hands every other letter. So when my left hand is hitting one letter, my right hand has the next one queued up. The downside is that it's a lot easier to get letters out of order. :)

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 10:25:29 am »
I can type like 10wpm. But this is on my phone. Stupid thing. Btw wtf is home row?
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 10:59:42 am »
I can type like 10wpm. But this is on my phone. Stupid thing. Btw wtf is home row?
:( i can only write 50 wpm and i am on my laptop. wow you guys are amazing good at typing.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 11:41:38 am »
I just did the orange one and I noticed that I pretty much use only my index finger on my right hand when I type.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 12:07:38 pm »
Isn't slower typing speeds a side-effect of this?  If you have to move around the keyboard more often (which you do if you want to satisfy the property you gave), isn't it the case that you'll be typing slower than if you didn't have to move around as much?

I bet there's a simple study you could do to see if this is the case.  The rough frequency of appearances of characters in English is common knowledge.  If you do something to compute the offsets of each key from every other key, then multiply by its frequency and average that, it seems like it'd be a good rough measure of how "efficient" a keyboard layout is.
It may be a side effect, but it wasn't an intention. The idea that it was intended to slow people down is a common myth/misconception/whatever.

And it's sort of hard to test, because I find that I can type words faster when I switch hands every other letter. So when my left hand is hitting one letter, my right hand has the next one queued up. The downside is that it's a lot easier to get letters out of order. :)

Oh, that's good to know.  Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a source?

Hehe.  Well, it might be more beneficial to measure the keys' offset from homerow or something, then.  It might also make sense to weight which key on homerow it's closest too, since, for example, pinkies are typically less agile than index fingers.

lol, I bet my sister was up to 30+ WPM on a phone without a qwerty keyboard.  She says she sends like 2000 texts a month though, heh.

I'm not sure if that was a serious question, but home row is the "starting place" for your fingers on the keyboard.  On qwerty, it's asdf jlk;.  On dvorak, it's aoeu dhtn
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 12:11:10 pm by Sidoh »

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2008, 01:15:58 pm »
It was a serious question. Ive never heard that before. But i learned how to type with my fingers and a keyboard not in some class or with a weird program
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2008, 02:14:27 pm »
I definitely have some bad typing habits, all of which stem from my complete non-use of the left-shift key. So, if I have to type, say, "<", (or even the quotation marks themselves), I have to remove my hands from home row.

I am the opposite; I don't use the right shift key.

In middle school, we had typing class, and I got a lot of grief for that - but I never broken the habit. Other than that, though, I type "normally."

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!