Announcements > [x86] Announcements

Spambots

(1/3) > >>

iago:
Lately, we've been getting several registrations/day from spambots. We already had "require approval" enabled, so they haven't gotten through, but it also means that it's difficult to tell real people from bots. So, if you know somebody who's legitimately registering, either send me a PM or post on the forum or get them to email me or something.

Skywing:
Can you just enable email validation instead of require approval, or are they actually wiring up enough logic to follow the activation links in the validation emails now?

iago:
I've seen software that can follow the activation links, so it might. It'd definitely solving the most difficult CAPTCHA that a human can read (I tried the "hard" CAPTCHA but couldn't solve it), so I assume it's at least a decent bot. I'd rather not clean up spam. :)

Newby:
We should write some sort of delayed activation. Randomly between 1 and 5 minutes after you register, it'll activate your account. Bots won't know how long to wait around, and I doubt they'd come back.

Camel:
Years ago, I solved a problem like this by modifying the captcha to add moderately thick black bars over the letters. You certainly will have results that are not human readable with that approach, but most of them will be.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version