Author Topic: Black Friday anyone?  (Read 7772 times)

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Black Friday anyone?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 11:03:18 pm »
I recently bought a 42" Panasonic Plasma.  I haven't noticed any "burn-ins", but I'll look out for it.  I liked the plasmas I saw better than the LCDs.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 11:12:33 pm by Rule »

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 12:02:13 am »
The Walmart channel should burn in pretty quick. :P
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 01:37:21 am »
It is really that bad? Like is it pretty visible when you're watching something else? Is there like faded colors or like you can actually see the outlines of what was on the screen?

Stare directly at the sun for a few seconds, and then look away. What do you see?

Okay, don't actually do it, but the principle is the same.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 08:37:26 am »
It is really that bad? Like is it pretty visible when you're watching something else? Is there like faded colors or like you can actually see the outlines of what was on the screen?

yeah you can see outlines, for instance on the old xbox live the menus would burn in. I mean it does burn out after a few minutes of watching something else but still, it's a nuisance.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 09:19:09 am »
Mmmmm, work 4am-4pm black friday. BestBuy ftl.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 12:17:00 am »
I recently bought a 42" Panasonic Plasma.  I haven't noticed any "burn-ins", but I'll look out for it.  I liked the plasmas I saw better than the LCDs.
We've (my family) had a 52" Pioneer? plasma TV for over a year now (last October 13th) and have yet to see any burn-in... My friends have had plasmas for even longer and have had zero burn-in. What the hell do you guys do with your TVs to burn them in so much?
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 09:54:31 am »
Back. I ended up just getting a smaller LCD screen instead of the plasma I mentioned previously. It's still nice. I didn't realize how big 50" really was, lol. 42" is fine  :).

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 09:04:23 am »
We've (my family) had a 52" Pioneer? plasma TV for over a year now (last October 13th) and have yet to see any burn-in... My friends have had plasmas for even longer and have had zero burn-in. What the hell do you guys do with your TVs to burn them in so much?

It's big with gamers, that's honestly about it. The menu's tended to burn in from walking away and doing other things while leaving it open.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2008, 03:10:16 pm »
It's big with gamers, that's honestly about it. The menu's tended to burn in from walking away and doing other things while leaving it open.
So then why are they bitching? Stupid user error seems like a piss-poor reason to complain.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2008, 06:51:06 pm »
So then why are they bitching? Stupid user error seems like a piss-poor reason to complain.

It also occurs with logos in the bottom corner on television stations.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 08:50:07 pm »

It also occurs with logos in the bottom corner on television stations.
God, these are expensive TVs, not the kind of ones you can just let sit on the same TV station. What's wrong with you?
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 12:44:26 pm »

Generally speaking, they're only vulnerable during the first 100 hours of use. Obviously, there's no magic number for all displays, or even for one display, but the bottom line is that the problem goes away as the phosphors age. Also, as has already been discussed, the newish ones (yours included) burn the images out from normal use (changing channel once in a great while), so the screen won't be ruined even if you do manage to burn in an image.

[edit] also worth noting that even networks that have logos do not display them during commercials, and that is probably enough to keep a screen >100hrs old burn-free.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!