Author Topic: XKCD: metric conversions  (Read 7314 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: XKCD: metric conversions
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 12:10:06 am »
I could do that. If I was good at physics and all... :o
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 02:23:28 am »
It IS funny, but their temperatures sound like they were written by somebody from CA or FL, they needed a Canadian to go over them and tell them what "Cold" means. :)

QQ
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 03:28:40 pm »
-10 isn't a cold day in Boston (or maybe it is)

That's 14 degrees farenheight, which is pretty god damn cold, but not "as cold as it ever gets" in Boston. That's about how cold Boston has been so far this season.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 04:23:29 pm »
That's 14 degrees farenheight, which is pretty god damn cold, but not "as cold as it ever gets" in Boston. That's about how cold Boston has been so far this season.
With random 50-60 degree days here and there, fun new england weather.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 05:17:59 pm »
its 1 Celsius here and raining. Fuck this.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 10:19:37 pm »
its 1 Celsius here and raining. Fuck this.

Cry more!
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 12:57:05 am »
Just to be somewhat serious, but from the king's foot, to water?  The metric system sure is earthly/humanly to be the logical replacement of the imperial units, which only suffer from painful conversion long remedied by computers (and Google).  Why aren't we using units derived directly from the behavior of the universe like, say, Kelvin?  What's so special about base 10 and water to be the entire basis of a measuring system?  Oddly, people have an extremely easy time doubling things in their head...why not the binary kibi, mebi, gibi, and friends?  I don't really believe the 10-finger argument since history indicates some ancient civilizations used different bases (e.g. like base 60, which still haunts us today).
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 08:36:10 am »
Just because not everybody uses base 10, doesn't mean that base 10 doesn't derive from a natural obsession with fingers (or toes).

But I agree, base 10 is a bunch of nonsense, binary/hex is where it's at. :)

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 09:24:01 am »
Just because not everybody uses base 10, doesn't mean that base 10 doesn't derive from a natural obsession with fingers (or toes).

But I agree, base 10 is a bunch of nonsense, binary/hex is where it's at. :)

All I'm pointing out is that decimal is not intuitive.  If it were, it would have been simultaneously adopted by almost every ancient civilization.  If having 10 fingers was really the intuitive motivation for decimal, it went unnoticed by ancient civilization like Babylon, Egypt and even the Mayans.  But, its a known oddity that people have a very easy time doubling quantities in their head.  I wonder if the human mind is better suited to bases of powers of 2.  It's hard to objectively tell...but I think the fact that people have an easy time doubling quantities should be a good indicator.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 09:41:40 am »
All I'm pointing out is that decimal is not intuitive.  If it were, it would have been simultaneously adopted by almost every ancient civilization.  If having 10 fingers was really the intuitive motivation for decimal, it went unnoticed by ancient civilization like Babylon, Egypt and even the Mayans.  But, its a known oddity that people have a very easy time doubling quantities in their head.  I wonder if the human mind is better suited to bases of powers of 2.  It's hard to objectively tell...but I think the fact that people have an easy time doubling quantities should be a good indicator.
A lot of people miss intuitive stuff. :)

I think people are better at patterns than anything, and doubling follows a pattern.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 09:58:07 am »

I think people are better at patterns than anything, and doubling follows a pattern.

Or maybe ease of doubling is an indication that the brain stores quantities in a binary-like representation.

Offline Explicit

• Hail Bender!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 07:35:08 pm »
All I'm pointing out is that decimal is not intuitive. If it were, it would have been simultaneously adopted by almost every ancient civilization. If having 10 fingers was really the intuitive motivation for decimal, it went unnoticed by ancient civilization like Babylon, Egypt and even the Mayans. But, its a known oddity that people have a very easy time doubling quantities in their head. I wonder if the human mind is better suited to bases of powers of 2. It's hard to objectively tell...but I think the fact that people have an easy time doubling quantities should be a good indicator.

Or maybe ease of doubling is an indication that the brain stores quantities in a binary-like representation.

Neurons do fire in a binary-like manner give or take the inhibitory effect on neighboring neurons. This leads me to believe that the universe would be more accurately depicted by binary-representation.
Like all things in life, pumping is just a primitive, degenerate form of bending.

Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do! ... Bender knows when to use finesse.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.