Author Topic: windows7  (Read 9691 times)

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
Re: windows7
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 03:04:43 am »
I'm on Windows 7 now, and right away Ventrilo doesn't work properly. It also comes with IE8 which is pretty crappy. My sound board drivers don't work on Windows 7, either. (Not related to the Ventrilo issues) Other than that, it's pretty bad ass.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 01:44:33 pm »
The students at work installed this, and I was watching them for awhile (like, struggling to get a static ip :) ) -- it looks to me like all the things that annoyed me about Vista are still there.

Of course, I'm different from most people -- the things that annoy me aren't the same that annoyed most.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 02:13:01 pm »
Installing now.

If I don't post again for several weeks, it's most likely because I didn't survive.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 02:28:40 pm »
The students at work installed this, and I was watching them for awhile (like, struggling to get a static ip :) ) -- it looks to me like all the things that annoyed me about Vista are still there.
I think one would struggle to 'get' a static ip on any operating system :P

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 02:46:15 pm »
Wtf @ removing quicklaunch? I live by quicklaunch! I have ~30 icons on my quicklaunch on this workstation (I have a full row on my taskbar dedicated to it), that's my favourite way to launch programs. :-o

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 04:29:31 pm »
Wtf @ removing quicklaunch? I live by quicklaunch! I have ~30 icons on my quicklaunch on this workstation (I have a full row on my taskbar dedicated to it), that's my favourite way to launch programs. :-o

holy fuck... one of my friends freshman year did the same thing... weirdos.

I only use it for programs I constantly use and require a maximized window most of the time...
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 04:49:01 pm »
Don't worry, it's easy to get back!

Just...
  • Right-click the taskbar, choose Toolbars / New Toolbar
  • In the folder selection dialog, enter the following string and hit OK:
          %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
  • Turn off the “lock the taskbar” setting, and right-click on the divider. Make sure that “Show text” and “Show title” are disabled and the view is set to “small icons”.

Windows makes things simple!
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 05:13:52 pm »

Just...
  • Turn off the “lock the taskbar” setting, and right-click on the divider. Make sure that “Show text” and “Show title” are disabled and the view is set to “small icons”.

Microsoft really is a model of efficiency.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 05:20:56 pm »

Just...

* deadly7 waits for warrior to explain why this is ultimately the best way of doing things, and why Microsoft is, once again, a God for having thought of it.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 06:03:14 pm »
holy fuck... one of my friends freshman year did the same thing... weirdos.

I only use it for programs I constantly use and require a maximized window most of the time...
Haha, I use it for programs I don't use often, because programs I DO use often are normally running already. It's mostly a habit -- I've always done it and it's worked well. :)

That being said, Windows isn't my primary OS and hasn't been for a lot of years. I only use it for short periods (except at work).

Just...

I sense sarcasm, but that sounds to me like a perfectly reasonable way of doing something, bearing in mind that I'm a Slackware guy! :)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 06:10:30 pm »
In Windows 7, the Quick Launch functionality has been merged with the Task bar functionality.

Think about it, with prior versions, you had a set area for Quick Launch, then a set area for running Tasks, the space was being competed for by two answers to the same problem which could be condensed into one, and by having useless verbosity in the Taskbar (Text labels).

With Windows 7, all this is alleviated, and the Quick Launch functionality has even been extended to the point where you can pin types of Documents (Or Folders, or whatever) opened by the pinned Application, to the Application itself.

One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 06:12:17 pm »

Just...

Microsoft really is a model of efficiency.

I don't see anything wrong with it, the functionality has been built into the Superbar. If you want UI redundancy, you will have to work for it.

Unless of course, you can name me how Quick Launch has some functionality that is lacking in the Superbar.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 06:13:36 pm »

Just...

* deadly7 waits for warrior to explain why this is ultimately the best way of doing things, and why Microsoft is, once again, a God for having thought of it.

Your statement does not make much sense to me, then again that's to be expected from statements made by people who have no idea what they're talking about. Whatsoever.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2009, 06:16:40 pm »
It seems there is a great deal of confusion surrounding the Superbar, and it's to be expected.

To get more information about it, though it's hard to judge without using it first hand, you can go here.

A video showing the Superbar and a lot of it's functionality can be found here

After reading the article and watching the video, I'll be interesting to read your comments/criticisms about how the new Taskbar works. It's an interesting discussion.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2009, 06:35:19 pm »
In Windows 7, the Quick Launch functionality has been merged with the Task bar functionality.

Think about it, with prior versions, you had a set area for Quick Launch, then a set area for running Tasks, the space was being competed for by two answers to the same problem which could be condensed into one, and by having useless verbosity in the Taskbar (Text labels).

With Windows 7, all this is alleviated, and the Quick Launch functionality has even been extended to the point where you can pin types of Documents (Or Folders, or whatever) opened by the pinned Application, to the Application itself.

It seems to have the same annoying functionality as Mac, where the running/non-running icons share the same space. Is that always the case, or is it configurable? I have trouble telling which is running and which isn't (both on OS X and 7) -- I don't do well with shading and stuff like that.

Personally, I'd much prefer having a space reserved for running stuff, and another space reserved for programs I can run. As I said, I normally have 30+ icons on my quicklaunch, but I rarely have more than 2-3 programs running at once (I hate having a lot of stuff running, it makes me feel cluttered). It'd be incredibly annoying if running/stopped programs had to share the same space, I'd probably go back to putting all my programs on the desktop so I wouldn't have to look at them.

On a somewhat related note, what they ought to do is decouple Windows's interface from the OS itself, like Linux, and let people rip and replace the interface entirely. If I could replace the Vista/7 interface with XP's, I'd be far happier to use them. Better yet if I could use a stripped down theme like I do on Linux. I realize that it's possible to do this to some extent, but I don't think there's any good way.

And also, while idle with no programs open, and on a totally fresh install, ~300 - 400mb of RAM were in use. Is that normal?