Author Topic: Help me pick my OSes.  (Read 12087 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Help me pick my OSes.
« on: January 20, 2009, 07:30:02 pm »
So I've ordered a data hard drive, and I'd like to redo the operating systems on my desktop before classes start getting too sticky.

1) Which version of Windows should I use?

I'm unsure how often I'll be using Windows, but I'd like to have a working copy of it running my desktop just in case.  I've heard Microsoft likes to do phone interviews using some Windows products.

I'm not very fond of Vista, but if someone gives me an adequate reason to stick with it, I will.  I'm looking at XP or Windows7.  The fact that the Win7 beta runs out in August doesn't matter to me.  I'll likely redo Windows after summer starts anyway.

2) Which Linux distribution should I use? 

I used Ubuntu last year, and really liked it.  However, it seems that 8.04 is way less stable than 7.10 was.  I'm leaning towards just going with Feisty again, but if any of you have had great experiences with other distributions, I'd love to hear your recommendations.  I'm also considering Fedora.

I don't really want to experiment with unfamiliar territory at this point.  I'd love to give the BSD family and other flavors of non-Windows OSes a try, but I just don't want to deal with it at this point.  Any free time I have will probably not be spent tinkering with OSes, hehe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Help me pick my OSes.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 07:36:40 pm »
1) XP. Duh. ;)

2) Have you considered Debian? It's a lot like Ubuntu (same package manager, common history), but it's a little less dumbed down and targeted more towards computer savvy people. I know a lot of people who like Debian a lot.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 07:40:55 pm »
Be a man, go with 7.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 08:32:16 pm »
Go with 7 and give us feedback. For one thing you will be using it "just in case" so I don't think it matters too much, and if you don't like it you can just stick with it for a few months and then change it (or just go back to xp that day). You've had experience with xp, try out 7 :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 09:05:21 pm »
OK, iago's argument isn't very convincing.  Warrior's is extremely compelling, but he's such a badass that I won't take it into consideration.  I think you make a good point, though, Towelie.  I guess it probably won't hurt me much to go with 7.  I'll start the download.

That's a great suggestion, iago.  I'll probably download that too. :)

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 09:06:46 pm »
Yes, my badass-ness is a gift and a curse.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 09:16:07 pm »
OK, iago's argument isn't very convincing.
wtf, I thought mine was the best of them are.

Let me try another...

Windows XP. Come onnnnnnn!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 09:17:47 pm »

Let me try another...

Perhaps another "Come onnnnn" would have convinced me, but I guess you just don't care enough!  I'm still considering it... idk.

Debian sounds pretty good, though.  Any other suggestions from anyone?

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 09:23:34 pm »
If you don't use Windows 7, you'll live life wondering "What if".

Seriously, ew at the thought of Windows XP. I have not used that since like .. 2005.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 09:30:07 pm »

Seriously, ew at the thought of Windows XP. I have not used that since like .. 2005.

Haha, I've liked Vista much less than XP, honestly.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 09:34:40 pm »

Win7 is cool. I just had to get rid of IE8 and I was set. IE8 is such a horrible browser.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 09:36:19 pm »

I don't see why, sure it's pretty loud by default, but that's trivial to turn off.
After the first few months of Vista RTM, everything was ironed out, and it became a much better OS than XP in a lot of areas.

I can't see myself going back from Windows 7 though, the Taskbar is too good for me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 09:40:01 pm »
I've been using Vista for the last several months.  Pretty much since last summer.  I like XP more, lol.  UAC isn't the only thing that bugs me.  How much of a resource hog it is probably concerns me the most.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 10:09:28 pm »
I'm a bit unfamiliar with Debian.  Why does it have 14GB worth of installation DVDs/CDs?  Are all of them necessary?

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 10:13:37 pm »
I've been using Vista for the last several months.  Pretty much since last summer.  I like XP more, lol.  UAC isn't the only thing that bugs me.  How much of a resource hog it is probably concerns me the most.

Do you actually feel a slowdown, or are you just going off of numbers you see in the Task Manager? For me I notice no significant slowdown over XP, and Vista actually outperforms XP by a considerable number once it starts scaling with higher end hardware.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 10:15:35 pm »
I'm a bit unfamiliar with Debian.  Why does it have 14GB worth of installation DVDs/CDs?  Are all of them necessary?
l2read, right on the download page

The first CD/DVD disk contains all the files necessary to install a standard Debian system.
To avoid needless downloads, please do not download other CD or DVD image files unless you know that you need packages on them.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 10:17:35 pm »

Do you actually feel a slowdown, or are you just going off of numbers you see in the Task Manager? For me I notice no significant slowdown over XP, and Vista actually outperforms XP by a considerable number once it starts scaling with higher end hardware.

Yes, there's a significant slowdown.  I had to get more RAM to crank the settings in WoW (pre-3.0.0).  I had them cranked in XP before with no problems.

l2read, right on the download page

The first CD/DVD disk contains all the files necessary to install a standard Debian system.
To avoid needless downloads, please do not download other CD or DVD image files unless you know that you need packages on them.

It's much easier to ask someone who's familiar with the distribution. 

Even so, I looked in a few places, including the "if you only read one document" thing, but I missed it. :P

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 10:26:54 pm »

Yes, there's a significant slowdown.  I had to get more RAM to crank the settings in WoW (pre-3.0.0).  I had them cranked in XP before with no problems.

I would not be so quick to blame it on the RAM, sure it might have been so, but you could have also just made up in raw performance for a bottleneck elsewhere in the system.

Anyhow, were you running SP1? Or at the very least, Vista with the performance and reliability hot fixes applied, were you running latest (or near latest) graphics drivers?

Were you running in fullscreen mode? Windowed mode?

Initially with Windows Vista I lost something like 10-15FPS compared to XP, but after SP1 and various updates to the crappy ATI WDDM Drivers, I got to within reach of Windows XP (2-5FPS difference give or take I'd say), and in Windows 7 with WDDM1.1 I pass Windows XP by 15-25FPS.

I'm very tempted to believe the problem was with something graphics related as opposed to a RAM issue, that sounds like something that would be pretty universal, and others would experience it, where as a graphics issue could be more specific to your hardware configuration.

It's hard to judge this kind of thing though, due to all the potential bottlenecks, before even speaking about the sometimes questionable CPU usage of a few things in Windows Vista.

How much ram were you dealing with? How soon after install did these problems occur? I ask this because there are many CPU intensive things like Indexing going on, and the fact that SuperFetch has not monitored your memory patterns so it's caching is not up to snuff (which actually means fresh Vista installers have a net loss in initial performance when looking at the tradeoff from the increased occupation of memory).

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 10:28:33 pm »

Let me try another...

Perhaps another "Come onnnnn" would have convinced me, but I guess you just don't care enough!  I'm still considering it... idk.

Debian sounds pretty good, though.  Any other suggestions from anyone?
Come onnnnnnnnnnnn!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 10:39:42 pm »
It's extremely unlikely that it wasn't a RAM problem.  I installed 2 GB of additional RAM and it runs smoothly now.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 11:24:11 pm »
It's extremely unlikely that it wasn't a RAM problem.  I installed 2 GB of additional RAM and it runs smoothly now.

It is very possible that propping up the PC with ram (especially 2GB of additional ram, that's pretty overboard.) opened up a bottleneck to hide the failings of another bottleneck in the system. The gain of FPS might have been around the same, or even exceeded what you were lacking when compared to XP.

There are still a lot of unknowns in the story to be able to draw a definitive conclusion, I've had great results on Vista with much less hardware, Windows 7 is just a very nice improvement ontop of that.

While Vista initially had problems, I believe a lot of the criticism it gets recently is largely exaggerated, or the result of something out of the control of Microsoft. Microsoft recently made a point of stating exactly how hard it is to pinpoint bottlenecks in performance, and how hard it is to assess reliably what is causing the slowdown without very specific information.

This is probably most true than in anything else in games where there are many factors that come into play: Resource management/Model/Zone Loading (RAM), AI/Physics/Collision (CPU), and Graphics Rendering (GPU).

Then you can get into old Graphics Drivers, faulty ram modules, immature system caching, outside stresses on the system, and even bugs in the engine itself which can arise from the very significant changes in the Driver Model.

Overall though, Vista outperforms XP on higher end hardware especially with multi-core and 64 Bit setups with lots and lots of RAM. Windows 7 even builds on this by removing the general kernel lock on the scheduler (I believe it's comparable to the BKL in Linux) and replacing it with more granular locks and allowing Windows7 to scale to 256 processors (or cores, same thing really).

On lower end machines, Windows 7 performs just about as well as XP does due to optimizations made as opposed to Vista, and boot times are increased since subsystems/services are done on demand / in parallel (This is probably what most cite as the significant gain over Vista).

Overall, I would not go back to XP for anything. The enhanced networking in Windows 7 (Try deploying it to every PC in the house and using HomeGroup, it's a blast), as well as the usability improvements make it a huge winner.

From a PR standpoint, it's going to be a blockbuster, it's gotten nothing but positive press.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 12:17:01 am »
1. Forget about the features.  If you have any applications that require XP compatibility, stick with it. Compatibility mode and XP in a VM are not good solutions for running MatLab or CATIA :).  I've played with 7 and while nice, I won't be going anywhere until all the critical applications I use are supported on 7 or I can justify sticking another machine on my desk (kvm'd of course) just for XP applications (dual booting is a pain).  I currently run Vista on my laptop which I use infrequently as my testbed and will likely upgrade it to 7 when the mp3 fix is pushed out.

2. I'm a big fan of apt and use Debian on my web server + Ubuntu on my laptop for that reason.  Not having to research and/or debug installing a new application most of the time is very handy when I'd rather be spending my time on more meaningful tasks. Kubuntu/Xubuntu/etc are obviously just as good.  I'm not a big fan of Fedora or OpenSUSE's package managers. Arch's is pretty good but doesn't have quite the application pool as the others.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 12:47:01 am »

It is very possible that propping up the PC with ram (especially 2GB of additional ram, that's pretty overboard.) opened up a bottleneck to hide the failings of another bottleneck in the system. The gain of FPS might have been around the same, or even exceeded what you were lacking when compared to XP.

There are still a lot of unknowns in the story to be able to draw a definitive conclusion, I've had great results on Vista with much less hardware, Windows 7 is just a very nice improvement ontop of that.

While Vista initially had problems, I believe a lot of the criticism it gets recently is largely exaggerated, or the result of something out of the control of Microsoft. Microsoft recently made a point of stating exactly how hard it is to pinpoint bottlenecks in performance, and how hard it is to assess reliably what is causing the slowdown without very specific information.

This is probably most true than in anything else in games where there are many factors that come into play: Resource management/Model/Zone Loading (RAM), AI/Physics/Collision (CPU), and Graphics Rendering (GPU).

Then you can get into old Graphics Drivers, faulty ram modules, immature system caching, outside stresses on the system, and even bugs in the engine itself which can arise from the very significant changes in the Driver Model.

Overall though, Vista outperforms XP on higher end hardware especially with multi-core and 64 Bit setups with lots and lots of RAM. Windows 7 even builds on this by removing the general kernel lock on the scheduler (I believe it's comparable to the BKL in Linux) and replacing it with more granular locks and allowing Windows7 to scale to 256 processors (or cores, same thing really).

On lower end machines, Windows 7 performs just about as well as XP does due to optimizations made as opposed to Vista, and boot times are increased since subsystems/services are done on demand / in parallel (This is probably what most cite as the significant gain over Vista).

Overall, I would not go back to XP for anything. The enhanced networking in Windows 7 (Try deploying it to every PC in the house and using HomeGroup, it's a blast), as well as the usability improvements make it a huge winner.

From a PR standpoint, it's going to be a blockbuster, it's gotten nothing but positive press.

Again, it's extremely unlikely that it wasn't RAM.  When I cranked the settings, the OS started to thrash.  It was out of physical memory -- period.  I put in more memory, and everything runs smoothly.  Running a bunch of random applications right now (no games -- just stuff like Firefox, Thunderbird, media player, putty, etc), it's using 1.86 GB.  Now imagine WoW ontop of that.

It doesn't run pristine, and I'm confident the problem is with my video card.  It's reasonably good, but I'm sure an upgrade is in order over the summer once I get some monies.

Either way, this is no longer an issue.  I have 4 GB of RAM.  Which is not excessive, by the way, especially considering the price of memory these days and the types of projects I work on.  I'd just rather have something more light weight.  I don't intend to do anything fancy with Windows.

1. Forget about the features.  If you have any applications that require XP compatibility, stick with it. Compatibility mode and XP in a VM are not good solutions for running MatLab or CATIA :).  I've played with 7 and while nice, I won't be going anywhere until all the critical applications I use are supported on 7 or I can justify sticking another machine on my desk (kvm'd of course) just for XP applications (dual booting is a pain).  I currently run Vista on my laptop which I use infrequently as my testbed and will likely upgrade it to 7 when the mp3 fix is pushed out.

2. I'm a big fan of apt and use Debian on my web server + Ubuntu on my laptop for that reason.  Not having to research and/or debug installing a new application most of the time is very handy when I'd rather be spending my time on more meaningful tasks. Kubuntu/Xubuntu/etc are obviously just as good.  I'm not a big fan of Fedora or OpenSUSE's package managers. Arch's is pretty good but doesn't have quite the application pool as the others.

Great input. It's not unlikely that I'll wind up using something like mathematica/matlab pretty heavily this semester.  In the past, I've just used the command line interface for Mathematica on my server, though.

Which version of Ubuntu do you use?  Have you had any problems with 8.04?  The sound drivers seem to be the major problem.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 01:02:36 am »
8.10, never had any sound issues

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 06:00:42 am »
Again, it's extremely unlikely that it wasn't RAM.  When I cranked the settings, the OS started to thrash.  It was out of physical memory -- period.  I put in more memory, and everything runs smoothly.  Running a bunch of random applications right now (no games -- just stuff like Firefox, Thunderbird, media player, putty, etc), it's using 1.86 GB.  Now imagine WoW ontop of that.

It doesn't run pristine, and I'm confident the problem is with my video card.  It's reasonably good, but I'm sure an upgrade is in order over the summer once I get some monies.

Either way, this is no longer an issue.  I have 4 GB of RAM.  Which is not excessive, by the way, especially considering the price of memory these days and the types of projects I work on.  I'd just rather have something more light weight.  I don't intend to do anything fancy with Windows.
[/quote]

Vista thrashes the disk periodically since it's constantly rebuilding the index, defragmenting the harddrive, running checks for solutions to problems, possibly running Windows Defender, and the most notorious disk thrasher, SuperFetch.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, nor is it indicative of a high amount of page faults. Memory on Vista is released on demand by SuperFetch, so it is extremely unlikely that Vista was having trouble operating with 2GB of ram initially.

SuperFetch scales up with your memory, since it's possible to store more frequent pages in RAM as opposed to the Disk (Which makes sense considering you've just dumped an additional 2GB for it to work with, and which would explain SuperFetch caching World of Warcraft related memory, therefore explaining the speedup).

Vista's memory manager is world's apart from XPs, it's smarter, which people requested. It takes a much more active role in using caching mechanisms which don't stop with SuperFetch, but which actually extend to more fine internal caching mechanisms (As most modern implementations do, I'd assume).

This is why I alluded to in my second post that judging Vista by the Task Manager's reporting is not accurate because it does not distinguish memory used up by the caching mechanisms in Vista, yet still tallys it up in "Used" memory. That's misleading, and has been the center of a lot of undeserved criticism.

My point with the RAM was, dumping 2GB at the problem was excessive because it was not required to fix the problem, especially when the system already had 2GB of ram installed. That's just ridiculous.

I'd understand if you were dealing with 512MB which you upgraded to 1GB, but the system already working with 2GB? There's no way Vista required anywhere near that much.

Any game, any program, any service, will run more quickly if you dump 2GB of ram at the problem, regardless of what caused the problem.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 10:51:21 am »
Thrashing happens when you're out of memory, so most of what's going on is page faults.  The OS thinks that the processor needs to be used more, so it does more multiprocessing, adding to the problem.

I was out of memory.  Period.  I'm almost positive that this was the problem.  You're lauding praise at Vista's memory management, but I can guarantee you that I was out of memory.  You've failed to give any other reasonable explanation for the symptoms and how they were cured by adding more memory.

I can assure you that 4 GB of memory is far from ridiculous, especially considering the things I do with my computer and how cheap memory is.  I picked up 2 GB (1GBx1GB) at $32 or something.  It's not an expensive upgrade.

Also, look at new mid-range systems.  They almost all have >2GB.  The laptop my dad got for my sister has 4GB.  2GB was more than adequate a year and a half ago when I got this PC, but it's slowly becoming less than adequate.

Duh, but this not a slight performance increase.  Settings-cranked-WoW brought my computer to its knees.  I'm talking super sub-1FPS and it made my computer unusable.  It was thrashing.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 10:52:57 am by Sidoh »

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 08:59:26 pm »
Thrashing happens when you're out of memory, so most of what's going on is page faults.  The OS thinks that the processor needs to be used more, so it does more multiprocessing, adding to the problem.

I was out of memory.  Period.  I'm almost positive that this was the problem.  You're lauding praise at Vista's memory management, but I can guarantee you that I was out of memory.  You've failed to give any other reasonable explanation for the symptoms and how they were cured by adding more memory.

I've given explanations, at least twice already, you speak of disk thrashing from a traditional perspective, but this is not the only time in which a disk will be thrashed, and it is a misconception with Windows Vista that a lot of people have. You can search google for people reporting trashing after bootups, immediately after installs, and during random times of operation.

How is it that memory is fulled up in all of these cases? It's not, it's explained in various articles, by various sources written by various people to be caused by what I outlined in my last point. For the sake of saving myself some typing I will ask you to look back to my post.

My point at any rate, was not that it was one or the other, but that there exists a reasonable amount of doubt so that one cannot be definitively pinpointed as the problem, hence why I went in and talked about how Microsoft considers performance hard to measure. It's very relevant.

I can assure you that 4 GB of memory is far from ridiculous, especially considering the things I do with my computer and how cheap memory is.  I picked up 2 GB (1GBx1GB) at $32 or something.  It's not an expensive upgrade.

I stated 4GB of memory is excessive as a fix to your supposed memory related problems, slow down and read.

This was never about how cheap memory was, but the mere fact that you believe that baseline, 2GB is not enough for Vista. That's ridiculous.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 09:12:46 pm »
No, that's not what was going on.  Thrashing is in no way exclusive to Vista or even Windows.  It's an intrinsic and somewhat unavoidable problem with operating systems in general.  Things don't behave nicely when physical memory is almost completely eaten up.

I'm not really sure you're familiar with the term thrashing.  It's sort of a technical word (similar to the way "frozen" is used in a technical context) -- I'm not saying you aren't familiar with the concept, but I don't think what you're referring to is thrashing.  Thrashing is when you're out of memory, so the OS has to do a lot of paging.  Additionally, and to varying degrees, this results in the entire system waiting on the disk for an unreasonable amount of time, the OS thinks it needs to increase the degree of multiprogramming -- which only adds to the problem.

The reasonable explanations for the circumstances I described are: it somehow managed to use up all of my CPU, or all of my memory.  I don't care how smart Vista is about paging -- it's not going to make a difference if I'm out of memory.

The evidence is undeniable.  Task manager said nearly 100% of physical memory was being used, and my computer was brought to its knees.  Adding more RAM completely fixed the problem.  It runs extremely smoothly now, and I haven't had the same problem again since.

I stated 4GB of memory is excessive as a fix to your supposed memory related problems, slow down and read.

This was never about how cheap memory was, but the mere fact that you believe that baseline, 2GB is not enough for Vista. That's ridiculous.

Lol, they are memory related problems, man.  It's silly to deny that, I think.

2 GB is more than enough for Vista and everyday use, I'm sure, but it sure as hell wasn't enough to run the background programs I do (nothing fancy, mind you -- Firefox, thunderbird, pidgin, etc) plus WoW with cranked graphics.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 09:14:25 pm by Sidoh »

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 09:44:32 pm »
No, that's not what was going on.  Thrashing is in no way exclusive to Vista or even Windows.  It's an intrinsic and somewhat unavoidable problem with operating systems in general.  Things don't behave nicely when physical memory is almost completely eaten up.

I'm not really sure you're familiar with the term thrashing.  It's sort of a technical word (similar to the way "frozen" is used in a technical context) -- I'm not saying you aren't familiar with the concept, but I don't think what you're referring to is thrashing.  Thrashing is when you're out of memory, so the OS has to do a lot of paging.  Additionally, and to varying degrees, this results in the entire system waiting on the disk for an unreasonable amount of time, the OS thinks it needs to increase the degree of multiprogramming -- which only adds to the problem.

The reasonable explanations for the circumstances I described are: it somehow managed to use up all of my CPU, or all of my memory.  I don't care how smart Vista is about paging -- it's not going to make a difference if I'm out of memory.

The evidence is undeniable.  Task manager said nearly 100% of physical memory was being used, and my computer was brought to its knees.  Adding more RAM completely fixed the problem.  It runs extremely smoothly now, and I haven't had the same problem again since.

Actually, Superfetch has been linked to Dish Thrashing. You can find many articles supporting my case with a single search, one of them being this one

As I've stated twice, one time in great detail, there are a lot of factors which come into play when deciding if Vista can and will thrash the disk. For a better explanation than what I can give you, you can search to see people encountering the near-same problem as you.

SuperFetch causes heavy thrashing at certain times, and less intensive thrashing after a while.
That, along with other micro-caching methods, is a very likely explanation for the troubles you were experiencing. At least as likely as anything else, which was the entire point of my posts.

It's one of the most discussed issues with Windows Vista, and I am absolutely right about the scope of Disk thrashing as it's known being enlarged with Windows Vista, because it can happen for more reasons, at more times.

Lol, they are memory related problems, man.  It's silly to deny that, I think.

2 GB is more than enough for Vista and everyday use, I'm sure, but it sure as hell wasn't enough to run the background programs I do (nothing fancy, mind you -- Firefox, thunderbird, pidgin, etc) plus WoW with cranked graphics.

This has nothing to do with the second half of my post.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 09:47:35 pm »
You're such a defensive person, man.  I think you should just take it easy.

I can nearly guarantee you I accurately diagnosed my problem -- it's fixed now.  I no longer care about it, and I don't want to use Vista.  You haven't given me any good reason to stick with it, so I'll probably be using something else.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 10:18:17 pm »
You could have just said you would disregard evidence at the beginning of all this and saved me some time.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 10:37:21 pm »
lol. you're so silly. :)

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 10:54:22 pm »
This is going nowhere, but in the end it can be attributed with the uninformed refusing to inform themselves, and then making even wilder accusations:

(10:45:30 PM) Sidoh (x86): I understand that vista is retarded
(10:45:36 PM) Sidoh (x86): and makes shitty use of the resources

To which I ask all of you who read this post to go and read up on a very simple yet informative article that came out a while ago:

Why does Vista use all my memory?

Pay specific attention to the last sentence. Very relevant :).
Let's break the cycle of ignorance.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 11:04:55 pm »
I understood what SuperFetch does immediately after I took the effort to dig through your crap.  If you ever intend to be helpful, you really should learn to be more succinct.

I spoke poorly there -- I realize that.

What would your recommendation be, then?  Turn superfetch off?  Physical memory being full completely fucks over gaming, regardless of what caused the memory to be full.  I don't care if it's meant to make things better -- in this case, it made things worse.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 11:07:21 pm by Sidoh »

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 11:07:52 pm »
I understood what SuperFetch does immediately after I took the effort to dig through your crap.  If you ever intent to be helpful, you really should learn to be more succinct.

I spoke poorly there -- I realize that.

What would your recommendation be, then?  Turn superfetch off?  Physical memory being full completely fucks over gaming, regardless of what caused the memory to be full.  I don't care if it's meant to make things better -- in this case, it made things worse.

Probably, but it would have been at worst a temporary flaw. Immediately remedied by shutting off SuperFetch, or eventually having fixed itself.

That's assuming it wasn't compounded with other things such as driver issues, abnormal CPU usage, etc.

Gaming performance is so complex, even more so than PC performance, that it's very hard to adequately judge the cause of it.

However, it should be made clear that my point was never to confirm one over the other, but to make a point that there is doubt in the root of the problem.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 11:18:52 pm »
Unless the CPU usage monitor is also inaccurate, that was not the problem.  Driver issues are not consistent with the symptoms.

The cause of the problem was almost certainly physical memory being full. (any better ideas?)

The cause of this problem is unclear, I realize.  I attributed it to a combination of me doing a lot of stuff in the background and Vista taking up more memory for system processes, etc.  You clarified this a bit, suggesting that SuperFetch is a bit notorious for causing this.

So, you suggest that turning SuperFetch off would also fix the problem?  Would it cause any other issues?

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 11:59:10 pm »
Sidoh, I think you found a not-so-surprisingly effective method of trolling Warrior. 

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2009, 12:12:44 am »
Sidoh, I think you found a not-so-surprisingly effective method of trolling Warrior. 

Yes, and this, unlike most of what "Trolls & Co." does, is actually trolling!
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2009, 06:05:31 am »
Unless the CPU usage monitor is also inaccurate, that was not the problem.  Driver issues are not consistent with the symptoms.

Do you read what I type? At all? I never stated that they were singular causes.

The cause of the problem was almost certainly physical memory being full. (any better ideas?)

The cause of this problem is unclear, I realize.  I attributed it to a combination of me doing a lot of stuff in the background and Vista taking up more memory for system processes, etc.  You clarified this a bit, suggesting that SuperFetch is a bit notorious for causing this.

So, you suggest that turning SuperFetch off would also fix the problem?  Would it cause any other issues?

No, well minus the whole you're not using your memory to it's fullest potential thing.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2009, 06:08:14 am »

I'm pretty sure it would be no trouble at all for me to show you first hand what a beautiful disaster we can cause.

However, I'm absolutely positive you don't want this, because we were undeniably effective at what we did.

I would not get into specifics, because I do not want to end up like Zorm, but I suggest you do not forget history so quickly.

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2009, 09:29:29 am »
As far as windows goes, I'd probably say Vista or Win7. You said the possibility of a Microsoft interview is possible, so don't you think they would want you using one of their newer OS's and not being a vista hater?

Linux... personally, Ubuntu 8.10 has amazed me. Sure, it's dumbed down but there's no reason you can't fix it up and personalize it a little. I'd rather everything works out of the box, then pick and choose what I want to remove from there. That's just me, though.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2009, 09:56:09 am »

I'm pretty sure it would be no trouble at all for me to show you first hand what a beautiful disaster we can cause.

However, I'm absolutely positive you don't want this, because we were undeniably effective at what we did.

I would not get into specifics, because I do not want to end up like Zorm, but I suggest you do not forget history so quickly.

What you were doing was worse than trolling, imo, I was just pointing out that it wasn't trolling.  I don't mean anything by it, which I'm sure you know.  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2009, 10:25:46 am »
As far as windows goes, I'd probably say Vista or Win7. You said the possibility of a Microsoft interview is possible, so don't you think they would want you using one of their newer OS's and not being a vista hater?

Linux... personally, Ubuntu 8.10 has amazed me. Sure, it's dumbed down but there's no reason you can't fix it up and personalize it a little. I'd rather everything works out of the box, then pick and choose what I want to remove from there. That's just me, though.

Microsoft has a lot of different teams.  Very few of them develop Vista or products that work exclusively with Vista.  It probably won't matter in that regard.

That's definitely not the reason I didn't like 8.04.  It was just way less stable than 7.10, and that was frustrating.  I'll probably try Debian, and if I don't like it, I'll give 8.10 a try. :)

Warrior, the symptoms and system logs/monitors are not consistent with the other problems you listed.  They'd definitely be reasonable if they were, but they're not.  If they were contributing to the problem, there'd be obvious evidence.  There's not.

If "fucking me over when I play WoW with graphics cranked" is using my memory to its fullest potential, then DO NOT WANT.

I'm tempted to take out the memory I added and experiment. :P
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 10:29:46 am by Sidoh »

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2009, 03:58:29 pm »
Warrior, the symptoms and system logs/monitors are not consistent with the other problems you listed.  They'd definitely be reasonable if they were, but they're not.  If they were contributing to the problem, there'd be obvious evidence.  There's not.

What? Please explain what exactly you mean.

If "fucking me over when I play WoW with graphics cranked" is using my memory to its fullest potential, then DO NOT WANT.

Now who's being silly?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2009, 04:31:32 pm »

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2009, 04:45:18 pm »
errr... something like that...

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2009, 06:07:06 pm »
Well, since you've disregarded all evidence and presented none, I was merely interested in seeing if you had any. Guess not :).

Pretty embarrassing, in my opinion.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2009, 06:44:53 pm »

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2009, 07:05:54 pm »
Lol, wtf is that

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2009, 08:02:20 pm »
Lol, wtf is that
A big fish eating a smaller fish, both of which are on a beach.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2009, 08:34:12 pm »
thx

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2009, 07:47:34 pm »
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2009, 10:36:44 am »
Every time I've tried moving to a version of Kubuntu that's later than 7.04 (Feisty) I've had to go back to Feisty.  Feisty was so much more stable IMO. 
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2009, 11:46:37 pm »
Are you still taking suggestions for OSes?

You should get Windows ME -- just to see if you can do it.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2009, 12:13:29 am »
Are you still taking suggestions for OSes?

You should get Windows ME -- just to see if you can do it.

lol.

I've decided on Win7/Debian for now.  Chavo gave some pretty good reasons to use XP over Win7, but I realized that most of the software I use is for Linux anyway, so the "adventurous" spirit in me took over.