Author Topic: Help me pick my OSes.  (Read 12111 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: Help me pick my OSes.
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2009, 10:18:17 pm »
You could have just said you would disregard evidence at the beginning of all this and saved me some time.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2009, 10:37:21 pm »
lol. you're so silly. :)

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 10:54:22 pm »
This is going nowhere, but in the end it can be attributed with the uninformed refusing to inform themselves, and then making even wilder accusations:

(10:45:30 PM) Sidoh (x86): I understand that vista is retarded
(10:45:36 PM) Sidoh (x86): and makes shitty use of the resources

To which I ask all of you who read this post to go and read up on a very simple yet informative article that came out a while ago:

Why does Vista use all my memory?

Pay specific attention to the last sentence. Very relevant :).
Let's break the cycle of ignorance.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 11:04:55 pm »
I understood what SuperFetch does immediately after I took the effort to dig through your crap.  If you ever intend to be helpful, you really should learn to be more succinct.

I spoke poorly there -- I realize that.

What would your recommendation be, then?  Turn superfetch off?  Physical memory being full completely fucks over gaming, regardless of what caused the memory to be full.  I don't care if it's meant to make things better -- in this case, it made things worse.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 11:07:21 pm by Sidoh »

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 11:07:52 pm »
I understood what SuperFetch does immediately after I took the effort to dig through your crap.  If you ever intent to be helpful, you really should learn to be more succinct.

I spoke poorly there -- I realize that.

What would your recommendation be, then?  Turn superfetch off?  Physical memory being full completely fucks over gaming, regardless of what caused the memory to be full.  I don't care if it's meant to make things better -- in this case, it made things worse.

Probably, but it would have been at worst a temporary flaw. Immediately remedied by shutting off SuperFetch, or eventually having fixed itself.

That's assuming it wasn't compounded with other things such as driver issues, abnormal CPU usage, etc.

Gaming performance is so complex, even more so than PC performance, that it's very hard to adequately judge the cause of it.

However, it should be made clear that my point was never to confirm one over the other, but to make a point that there is doubt in the root of the problem.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 11:18:52 pm »
Unless the CPU usage monitor is also inaccurate, that was not the problem.  Driver issues are not consistent with the symptoms.

The cause of the problem was almost certainly physical memory being full. (any better ideas?)

The cause of this problem is unclear, I realize.  I attributed it to a combination of me doing a lot of stuff in the background and Vista taking up more memory for system processes, etc.  You clarified this a bit, suggesting that SuperFetch is a bit notorious for causing this.

So, you suggest that turning SuperFetch off would also fix the problem?  Would it cause any other issues?

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 11:59:10 pm »
Sidoh, I think you found a not-so-surprisingly effective method of trolling Warrior. 

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2009, 12:12:44 am »
Sidoh, I think you found a not-so-surprisingly effective method of trolling Warrior. 

Yes, and this, unlike most of what "Trolls & Co." does, is actually trolling!
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2009, 06:05:31 am »
Unless the CPU usage monitor is also inaccurate, that was not the problem.  Driver issues are not consistent with the symptoms.

Do you read what I type? At all? I never stated that they were singular causes.

The cause of the problem was almost certainly physical memory being full. (any better ideas?)

The cause of this problem is unclear, I realize.  I attributed it to a combination of me doing a lot of stuff in the background and Vista taking up more memory for system processes, etc.  You clarified this a bit, suggesting that SuperFetch is a bit notorious for causing this.

So, you suggest that turning SuperFetch off would also fix the problem?  Would it cause any other issues?

No, well minus the whole you're not using your memory to it's fullest potential thing.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2009, 06:08:14 am »

I'm pretty sure it would be no trouble at all for me to show you first hand what a beautiful disaster we can cause.

However, I'm absolutely positive you don't want this, because we were undeniably effective at what we did.

I would not get into specifics, because I do not want to end up like Zorm, but I suggest you do not forget history so quickly.

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2009, 09:29:29 am »
As far as windows goes, I'd probably say Vista or Win7. You said the possibility of a Microsoft interview is possible, so don't you think they would want you using one of their newer OS's and not being a vista hater?

Linux... personally, Ubuntu 8.10 has amazed me. Sure, it's dumbed down but there's no reason you can't fix it up and personalize it a little. I'd rather everything works out of the box, then pick and choose what I want to remove from there. That's just me, though.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2009, 09:56:09 am »

I'm pretty sure it would be no trouble at all for me to show you first hand what a beautiful disaster we can cause.

However, I'm absolutely positive you don't want this, because we were undeniably effective at what we did.

I would not get into specifics, because I do not want to end up like Zorm, but I suggest you do not forget history so quickly.

What you were doing was worse than trolling, imo, I was just pointing out that it wasn't trolling.  I don't mean anything by it, which I'm sure you know.  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2009, 10:25:46 am »
As far as windows goes, I'd probably say Vista or Win7. You said the possibility of a Microsoft interview is possible, so don't you think they would want you using one of their newer OS's and not being a vista hater?

Linux... personally, Ubuntu 8.10 has amazed me. Sure, it's dumbed down but there's no reason you can't fix it up and personalize it a little. I'd rather everything works out of the box, then pick and choose what I want to remove from there. That's just me, though.

Microsoft has a lot of different teams.  Very few of them develop Vista or products that work exclusively with Vista.  It probably won't matter in that regard.

That's definitely not the reason I didn't like 8.04.  It was just way less stable than 7.10, and that was frustrating.  I'll probably try Debian, and if I don't like it, I'll give 8.10 a try. :)

Warrior, the symptoms and system logs/monitors are not consistent with the other problems you listed.  They'd definitely be reasonable if they were, but they're not.  If they were contributing to the problem, there'd be obvious evidence.  There's not.

If "fucking me over when I play WoW with graphics cranked" is using my memory to its fullest potential, then DO NOT WANT.

I'm tempted to take out the memory I added and experiment. :P
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 10:29:46 am by Sidoh »

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2009, 03:58:29 pm »
Warrior, the symptoms and system logs/monitors are not consistent with the other problems you listed.  They'd definitely be reasonable if they were, but they're not.  If they were contributing to the problem, there'd be obvious evidence.  There's not.

What? Please explain what exactly you mean.

If "fucking me over when I play WoW with graphics cranked" is using my memory to its fullest potential, then DO NOT WANT.

Now who's being silly?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2009, 04:31:32 pm »