Author Topic: 8 arrested in Phelps-pot ordeal  (Read 11840 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: 8 arrested in Phelps-pot ordeal
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 07:47:44 pm »
However, there's always the money saved from releasing inmates held on possession and trafficking, since that costs a ton from the federal budget a year, not to mention it breeds true criminals.
Sure, go raise the unemployment rate! ;)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 07:51:13 pm »
Guess I got owned there :/.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 07:53:41 pm »
Legalize it, regulate it, tax it, create jobs.
This is a progressive issue, glad to see Craz3d is aboard with the Dems :).
erything has to be political with you.. :(

I just enjoy pointing out when progressive issues manifest themselves in everyday situations. It's strange to me how conservatives are against Government intervention in this case :).

This is fun to me.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 07:55:48 pm »

It would decrease jobs, think about how many law enforcement (DEA especially) agents are employed because of the massive-scale war on drugs, marijuana being at the forefront. It's all political.

Legalization would save the government a lot of money though, so perhaps they could still employ these agents and shift the focus to synthetic drugs that are tearing families apart --- or alcohol abuse, which is an even worse and more widespread issue.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline truste1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 07:57:38 pm »
erything has to be political with you.. :(

I just enjoy pointing out when progressive issues manifest themselves in everyday situations. It's strange to me how conservatives are against Government intervention in this case :).

This is fun to me.

Conservatives should be against Government intervention. Conservatives are for small government. Drugs are a states issue, although they shouldn't be an issue at all because of the Constitution. But definitely liberals would be more pro-government intervention than conservatives.

Please note that I'm not using "Conservative" and "Liberal" to refer to "Republicans" or "Democrats".
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 07:58:31 pm »

It would decrease jobs, think about how many law enforcement (DEA especially) agents are employed because of the massive-scale war on drugs, marijuana being at the forefront. It's all political.

Legalization would save the government a lot of money though, so perhaps they could still employ these agents and shift the focus to synthetic drugs that are tearing families apart --- or alcohol abuse, which is an even worse and more widespread issue.

True, I never thought of it from that point of view. Hmm.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 07:59:44 pm »
Conservatives should be against Government intervention. Conservatives are for small government. Drugs are a states issue, although they shouldn't be an issue at all because of the Constitution. But definitely liberals would be more pro-government intervention than conservatives.

Please note that I'm not using "Conservative" and "Liberal" to refer to "Republicans" or "Democrats".

Oops, I meant it's interesting how they're for government intervention (Ban on Marijuana) when they're usually against Government intervention.

One would think they'd be falling over themselves to have less Government telling them what to do with their bodies.

Offline truste1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 08:03:07 pm »
And this Sheriff is doing his job, there's nothing wrong with that. Unfortunately he's doing it in a biased and unfair way. There was no need to charge anybody in this incident aside form self-gain sought by the sheriff. He'll get his 15 minutes in the spotlight while potentially tarnishing the records of otherwise (to our knowledge) good citizens.

In my opinion the worst part about pot is where it comes from and what it funds. If government-regulated marijuana were legal, I'm not even saying all marijuana was legal (i.e. ban privately grown plants), it would cut out funding for criminal organizations. But if we stop funding criminal organizations, then there's no criminal organizations for the government to fight. If the government has nobody to fight...
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline truste1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 08:07:20 pm »

Oops, I meant it's interesting how they're for government intervention (Ban on Marijuana) when they're usually against Government intervention.

One would think they'd be falling over themselves to have less Government telling them what to do with their bodies.

You're exactly right, that's how conservatives should be. Unfortunately, the Republican party has lost touch with its Conservative roots. I'm definitely watching the slow rise of the third parties (mainly the Constitution Party), something that could be augmented by Obama's election and the collapse/restructuring of the Republican party.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline truste1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 08:08:36 pm »
However, there's always the money saved from releasing inmates held on possession and trafficking, since that costs a ton from the federal budget a year, not to mention it breeds true criminals.
Sure, go raise the unemployment rate! ;)

If marijuana's legalized, cultivators, distributors, and traffickers could be employed. People aren't really held for possession that much I don't think, but they're probably already employed since they bought it.

Edit: Sorry for the triple post, I replied as I read them. Feel free to consolidate.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 08:10:42 pm by truste1 »
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 09:57:06 pm »
Triple posting while talking to different posts is perfectly fine!
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 10:24:42 pm »
Oh, I almost forgot: foxnews

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 10:35:15 pm »
Guys, you seen foxnews today? Sean Hannity drank a beer. He's my hero. Maybe I'll convince him that Miller High Life is the best.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 10:46:59 pm »
Sean Hannity should be on comedy central

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2009, 07:28:23 am »
lol, I thought of every argument in here before I read them. How am I supposed to contribute to this thread if you voice my opinions before I get here?

A note about less DEA-- I don't believe legalizing marijuana will remove jobs from it. I just think that they will be able to spend their resources catching other things... like meth :P