Author Topic: TeamSpeak 2 server, MySQL and Linux question...  (Read 2800 times)

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
TeamSpeak 2 server, MySQL and Linux question...
« on: February 21, 2009, 10:13:47 pm »
Well, Team Speak 2 is pretty damn old. Their server software sucks, their client software sucks. It's free, though.

I'm really just kind of messing around, but I'm trying to get a Linux Team Speak 2 server running using MySQL rather than the default SQLite. Their forum has several topics related to this but no great solutions.

I had run into an issue with the server not being able to load and use the newer mysql client library, so I reverted back to an older version. Now, I'm stuck with the Team Speak server not being able to properly log into the MySQL server.

Has anyone else got this to work, before?
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
Re: TeamSpeak 2 server, MySQL and Linux question...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 02:11:44 am »
Forget it. Team Speak 2 is a horrible, horrible piece of software - both the server and the client. This has sparked my re-interest in writing a much better server and client of my own!

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 02:56:21 am »
TS2 was simple to install and simple in its features. It's primitive and if something popped up in its place, it would take off. That's for sure.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 03:19:38 am »
mumble?
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 03:34:35 am »
Forget it. Team Speak 2 is a horrible, horrible piece of software - both the server and the client. This has sparked my re-interest in writing a much better server and client of my own!

Sounds like a pretty fun project.  You serious about this?

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 04:10:17 am »
Well everyone uses ventrilo, but the server isn't free. The obvious solution: reverse engineer ventrilo and write your own server! Though I guess blizzard set a nasty precedent in that area, and the people who make vent seem like dicks, so I don't think that would go over very well :)
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 05:12:13 am »
The several people that run Ventrilo know that they basically have the monopoly on the voice chat servers and client for gamers. I'm sure Ventrilo does plenty of sales for other users too, though. I could see a lot of the "average" users just using something that comes with Windows, or something, though. Anyways, the Ventrilo guys stopped giving out server licenses a while back and upped the restrictions for people that held licenses. They're doing this to ramp up prices for the licenses and to make it a competitive thing for resellers. They're probably making a fortune doing this. This is what I've been told by the guys that run darkstarllc.com, anyways - they're a Ventrilo reseller.

There's no real competitor out there when it comes to gamers. Ventrilo is just what they use. I find this sad because to me Ventrilo is far from being perfect. It's hardly even a great piece of software when it comes to the client. There's several things that I run into basically during regular usage of the client that I always wish it could do. Ventrilo isn't really in a position that requires them to make any changes, though.

I've been putting together just some very simple proof of concept software today. I wrote a simple echo server, and have been transmitting encoded data to clients. I'm just working on turning that decoded data into actual sound. haha.

Edit: I've also been using Java because of how easy it makes exchanging serializable Java Objects. Not to mention the cross-platform pwnage. The Netty framework is pretty 2legit2quit, too.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 05:19:30 am by warz »

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 06:53:05 am »
You can use the JMF to handle sound input/output, I think.

See sip-communicator.org.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 08:24:10 am »
mumble?

What Ergot said.  Mumble is open-source (free), and better than Ventrilo/Teamspeak.  :D
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 02:02:53 am »
I've been making some progress. It's actually a lot more difficult and in-depth than I thought. There's a lot to do before you even get to the part when encoding is necessary. Java makes a lot of this pretty simple, thankfully.