Author Topic: I wonder how much it'd cost to start up a bar...  (Read 3660 times)

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
I wonder how much it'd cost to start up a bar...
« on: February 25, 2009, 05:57:32 pm »
The town I live in has a very popular and busy "bar district." It's just a street where all the popular bars reside. They're all pretty popular and are packed every weekend and on certain weekday nights. The thing is, most of the bars are shitty. I transferred here from another university where the bars all had their own personal feel and atmosphere. At my other univ. people went to these different bars partially for the "place to be" aspect, and the other part to get shitfaced. None of the bars here really have that atmosphere that you are able to identify with and enjoy. It really sucks - I hate the bars here.

I've got a great idea for a bar concept (it has been done before. i've seen one in Austin, TX like it) where each table has its own tap on it and serves a certain kind of beer each day. People can either buy an 'all you can drink' type thing and fill up off the tap at their table or go to the actual bar and purchase shots, etc. As for the atmosphere of the bar, I don't really know yet. I think this tap concept though would be big enough to warrant the bar being cool, though. Throw in some TVs, maybe a spot for a live band, I don't know.

I wonder how much this would cost, though? I bet rent on a property down by the bars wouldn't be too bad compared to other "higher class" places around here. This town is a pretty big shit hole compared to all the surrounding areas like Dallas, Addison, Arlington, Ft. Worth, etc. Liquor licenses are probably a ton and there's probably something you'd have to do special to allow people to serve themselves. Anyways, I'm jacked up on red bull and bored waiting for my next class. These are my current thoughts.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: I wonder how much it'd cost to start up a bar...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 06:04:28 pm »
Liquor licenses are probably a ton and there's probably something you'd have to do special to allow people to serve themselves.
That was my first thought -- liquor control can make it difficult. Other than that, sounds interesting. :)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 06:15:34 pm »
Liquor licenses are probably a ton and there's probably something you'd have to do special to allow people to serve themselves.
That was my first thought -- liquor control can make it difficult. Other than that, sounds interesting. :)

Here, a serving license can cost about $200,000.00  :(.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 06:53:09 pm »
That sucks. A non-liquor, beer/wine only (on-site) retailer permit is only $380 every two years. Liquor permits are around $6,512 for a two year period and get significantly cheaper with each renewal... all the way down to $2,012. Like I said, though... this town is a pretty craptastic place compared to the surrounding areas and also much more liberal in terms of zoning and licensing fees. (and the people)

I think the major costs would come in the form of insurance, leasing commercial real estate, remodeling the bar (initially). I'm not sure how much I'd want to apply for a small business loan right now though... if it doesn't take off I'd be bankrupt.

Edit: I just got a response from a real estate broker in the area that said she has a location right off of I35 (100,000 cars a day location), 2000 sf, needs some interior work because it was just listed... for $3000/mo, if I take care of the interior work.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 07:01:38 pm by warz »

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 06:59:05 pm »
do it. it's risky, but the other bars were also taking a risk when they started. You have a better idea, might attract a better crowd of people, and might be the #1 bar in the city. Then you expand, start another themed bar, or buy the competition. The gain is worth the risk. Plus you're probably more in tune with the wants and needs of your target market because you fit that demographic, and you're surrounded by them everyday in classes.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 07:05:34 pm »
do it. it's risky, but the other bars were also taking a risk when they started. You have a better idea, might attract a better crowd of people, and might be the #1 bar in the city. Then you expand, start another themed bar, or buy the competition. The gain is worth the risk. Plus you're probably more in tune with the wants and needs of your target market because you fit that demographic, and you're surrounded by them everyday in classes.

The owner of one of the most popular bars here is like 35 or older, and he's Indian. He's also an asshole and told me not to learn against the pool tables. (wtf?)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 07:08:00 pm »
I think what Trust says is probably true.  It sounds like you've found a pretty sweet opportunity.

Then again -- it sounds like you'd be pretty screwed if it didn't take off.  However, from the few discussions I've had with you, you seem like a very driven person who has a lot of entrepreneurial talent.  I'd think that if you played your cards right, you could kick Apu's bar's ass.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 07:09:12 pm »
The thing is, to be successful, you have to take risks and, likely, get screwed. A lot of good businessmen have declared bankruptcy in the past, but no risk no gain.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 07:14:49 pm »
The thing is, to be successful, you have to take risks and, likely, get screwed. A lot of good businessmen have declared bankruptcy in the past, but no risk no gain.

Yes, of course.  I definitely agree.

I guess my hesitation comes from my assumption that he's in a position that's relatively similar to mine.  I'd be terrified to screw up if I didn't have some money to fall back on at this point.

Offline truste1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 07:25:09 pm »
There is also no better time to take risks. You don't have any (huge) responsibilities. If you have to file for bankruptcy...yeah that's going to set you back some and it's going to suck...but you have tons of time to climb out of it, and you don't have a mortgage to pay, you don't have a family to support, etc.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 09:07:32 pm »

Yes, of course.  I definitely agree.

I guess my hesitation comes from my assumption that he's in a position that's relatively similar to mine.  I'd be terrified to screw up if I didn't have some money to fall back on at this point.

meh, we're all rather young.  fall and you've got plenty of time to get back up

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 09:09:04 pm »
haha, yea. if i had something to back up the business loan with i'd think more seriously about it.

Offline truste1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 08:01:23 am »
btw, something to keep in mind:

Why not just start a bar or a surfing school?

Converting your own passions into a job is the fastest method for eliminating any passion you once had. Let's say you surf two or three hours every Saturday morning to decompress and it's the highlight of your week. Now you decide you want to do that fulltime. You'll find very quickly that once surfing is placed under the heading of "job," you'll no longer want to surf.

http://www.inc.com/articles/2009/02/timothy-ferriss-QA.html
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 08:24:50 am »
well, bars and drinking aren't a passion of mine. i don't even particularly enjoy going to them unless it's like kind of a big planned deal with a bunch of friends. i can say that i definitely stopped programming in my free time once i had a job that involved it.