Author Topic: Sound driver: Overall gain?  (Read 1321 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Sound driver: Overall gain?
« on: March 02, 2009, 01:54:52 pm »
Weird title, I know.

Okay, to the point: My laptop speakers are decent, but Windows doesn't want to push them enough. In Foobar2000 I found an option to apply an overall +12dB to it's output and this was enough to hear my laptop in the car (read: minivan on the interstate, I wasn't driving) with minimal (some) distortion, with no sign of the speakers getting upset.

Is there a way to do this to overall sound with stock sound drivers, or does anyone know of a place where I could obtain modded drivers with a +/-dB option? It doesn't bug me enough to make it a DIY project, but it'd be neat if anyone knows.

(It'd bug me if it's a driver hacked to a static +10dB or whatever, cause that'll cause it to be too loud at home at my desk.)
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: Sound driver: Overall gain?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 10:02:56 am »
(It'd bug me if it's a driver hacked to a static +10dB or whatever, cause that'll cause it to be too loud at home at my desk.)
*Notes that you could simply use the volume control to turn it down then.... Duhhhh*

There's probably a convenient way to do this by writing an upper device filter in the kernel.  One might already exist in fact.  But I don't have any more specifics.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.