Author Topic: DDo$ attacks  (Read 1686 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
DDo$ attacks
« on: May 11, 2009, 07:55:07 pm »
http://dizzythinks.net/2009/05/pirate-bay-founders-invent-ddo-attack.html

:D lol.

Gotta love the internet and the imagination of some dudes!

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: DDo$ attacks
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 05:18:27 am »
Not much of an imagination, to be honest. He really didn't think that one through.

All the law firm has to do is go, "Hey, all these $1 payments are false. Please do not process them" and the bank goes "Oh, ok, yeah, thousands of $1 payments is pretty fishy. We won't process them."

And it just makes TPB look like assholes, and makes their possible re-trial even more pointless. It is a juvenile stunt and reflects poorly. :/
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 08:54:54 am »
Not much of an imagination, to be honest. He really didn't think that one through.

All the law firm has to do is go, "Hey, all these $1 payments are false. Please do not process them" and the bank goes "Oh, ok, yeah, thousands of $1 payments is pretty fishy. We won't process them."

And it just makes TPB look like assholes, and makes their possible re-trial even more pointless. It is a juvenile stunt and reflects poorly. :/

Not even $1...13 cents!  That's even more fishy, who decides, "Hmm, yeah, I want to donate exactly 13 cents to the cause", let alone an angry crowd of pirates?  In all honesty, that article shouldn't have been written...not yet at least.  They should have just encouraged everyone to donate in small amounts.  Only after the law firm/bank discovers the cost, then they should explain what they did.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 09:24:31 am »
We saw that kind of thing a couple years ago with Red Cross when I was at Symantec -- we observed people testing stolen credit cards against Red Cross's donation page, by donating a few cents or a dollar from every stolen card. People wrote news stories like "Credit card thieves turn into robin hood", but Red Cross came back and pointed out that that type of thing was costing them more money than they were making from them.

Another related thing is a free music site I used to use (I forget what it's called now) would let you download music either for free, or if you donate $2 or more. They argued that donations of less than $2 would cost them more money (in processing charges) than they make.

Those aren't directly related to the story, but they're very similar. :)

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 03:43:47 pm »

They are legally obligated to receive money from the court settlement.  They can't reject the money the court says TPB has to give them.  You're just giving money on behalf of TPB. 

Personally, I think this is stupid, but whatever.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...