Author Topic: t.e.d. have you met him?  (Read 2469 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
t.e.d. have you met him?
« on: May 14, 2009, 01:14:09 pm »
Howdy y'all.

I'm sure many of you have welcomed the internet due to it's time shifting capabilities.

What?

The ability to be in more places at once.

C'mon now, everyone knows time travel is impossible.

Well, if you watch television, and can't be home when your favorite shows are on or if you have favorite shows that are broadcast simultaneously, my new friend Ted can help you out.

Ted is short for "television episode downloader".  Ted goes out and searches for torrents from your favorite television shows and passes those torrents off to your bittorrent client.  Ted is not a bittorrent client, but more of a torrent bird dog.

Ted is a java app, so it runs on all platforms (OS X, linux, bsd, Solaris, BeOS, Amiga, some cell phones and even windows).

It has many settings, and it won't take you long to figure out what settings work best for you.

There is a list of programs that comes with Ted, and the list is continually changing, because Ted is an open source app, and the community that supports it adds new shows and prunes old one regularly.  If Ted doesn't have your favorite show, you can easily add it.  I watch some rather esoteric foreign television shows and after I added them,  Ted finds them easily.

Here, you can see the list area on the left side, and the review of the selected program on the right side.  Ted gets all it's info from TV (dot) com

In the next shot, we see Ted checking the various torrent sites for a torrent matching your criteria.  Some of these criteria are "number of seeders", "filetype", "compressed files" (some sorry bastidges like to slip trojans and other nasties inside zip or rar files, so my Ted was told not to download any torrents that are associated with those types of file.  You can tell your Ted the same.)

Isn't this illegal?!?  You're on your way to jail, sonny!

It's no more illegal than using a Tivo or other DVR (or VCR, for you old school folk) to save and watch your shows when you have time.

Ted has saved me a lot of time spent hunting tv torrents.  If you do your TV watching via the internet, Ted can save you time, too.

P.S. This isn't a copyrighted movie or music download aid - downloading copyrighted movies or music is considered illegal and you shouldn't do it.  Ted just grabs television torrents.

-------Seems cool.  I just need to hook up a machine to my TV now
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 04:17:19 pm by Hitmen »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: t.e.d. have you met him?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 02:20:59 pm »
Wtf, you do spam now?

due to it's time shifting capabilities.
No, wait, it's CrAz3d! :)

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 02:33:14 pm »
The biggest problem with TED is that the filters don't actually work.  I tried using it to automatically grab and download shows, but about 25% of the time it would grab a bad/fake/.wmv torrent that was useless to me.  I tried a number of methods to get their filters working but with no luck.  The feed aggregation is also less complete than I would like, often never finding a certain episode at all when I can manually find it on a number of sites easily.  I think you can manually add feeds to remedy this, but I haven't the desire because of the larger first issue.  For the most part, all the shows I want to watch are on Hulu the next day anyway.  I only download the few ones that the producer's are ridiculous about, like House.  There are a couple exceptions, such as ABC episiodes that I have to watch on my windows box since their episode player doesn't work on linux (soon to be a non-issue as Disney is going to license everything to Hulu) and some other random shows on CBS or smaller networks that require loading a different webpage (also not a big deal, still available the next day).

It would be nice to have everything 'just there' with automatic episode downloading feeding a media center application like Boxee or Elisa (my two favorites so far), but the tech is still too imperfect and I haven't found a media center application yet that works seamlessly enough to run full-screen 24/7.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 03:15:04 pm »
Wtf, you do spam now?

due to it's time shifting capabilities.
No, wait, it's CrAz3d! :)

pssht, I didnt write that...copy/paste ftw.

The biggest problem with TED is that the filters don't actually work.  I tried using it to automatically grab and download shows, but about 25% of the time it would grab a bad/fake/.wmv torrent that was useless to me.  I tried a number of methods to get their filters working but with no luck.  The feed aggregation is also less complete than I would like, often never finding a certain episode at all when I can manually find it on a number of sites easily.  I think you can manually add feeds to remedy this, but I haven't the desire because of the larger first issue.  For the most part, all the shows I want to watch are on Hulu the next day anyway.  I only download the few ones that the producer's are ridiculous about, like House.  There are a couple exceptions, such as ABC episiodes that I have to watch on my windows box since their episode player doesn't work on linux (soon to be a non-issue as Disney is going to license everything to Hulu) and some other random shows on CBS or smaller networks that require loading a different webpage (also not a big deal, still available the next day).

It would be nice to have everything 'just there' with automatic episode downloading feeding a media center application like Boxee or Elisa (my two favorites so far), but the tech is still too imperfect and I haven't found a media center application yet that works seamlessly enough to run full-screen 24/7.

hmm, ok.  I guess I wont bother installing it then.

What were you saying about House/producers/hulu?  I tried to watch an episode of house on hulu, but when I went full screen on my tv (40"), it fucked up big.  Nothing else does that (youtube, dvds, filecabi, etc)

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 03:47:54 pm »
I was referring to Fox shows being posted 8 days after original broadcast instead of 1 day after meaning you can't use it to catchup on a missed episode.  Very silly decision by the network IMO.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 04:19:04 pm »
fixed horrendous formatting
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 04:43:35 pm »
Vuze has better filters than TED, and it's also better made.  Fuck TED.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 06:32:15 pm »
isnt azureus/vuze supposed to be fairly whory when it comes to resource consumption?

and this does similar to ted?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 08:00:20 pm »
so elisa doesnt work on win7 :(.  weak

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 12:54:03 am »
Wtf, you do spam now?

/signed.

Wtf?!
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 01:53:20 am »
CrAz3D's account has been compromised.

Warrior's has been too. Obama is the l33t h4x.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 01:55:18 am »
CrAz3D's account has been compromised.

"GEORGE BUSH CAUGHT NAKED!! CLICK TO VIEW PIX!!"

Warrior's has been too. Obama is the l33t h4x.

"BARACK OBAMA FUCKS MICHELLE! CLICK TO VIEW PIX!!"
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT.