Author Topic: Timetravel: what to take?  (Read 7726 times)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: Timetravel: what to take?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 10:22:53 am »
On second thought, I'd cram a doctor with a masters in biology into my suitcase.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 12:09:30 pm »
A few of the practical engineering textbooks (not the ones that explain every ounce of theory, just how to do stuff), a .22 with a bit of ammo, a historical textbook so I could predict major disasters and whatnot. A laser. Dragon repellent. I'll post more as I think about them.
errr... something like that...

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 12:42:09 pm »
I would shrink an enlarging gizmo from Honey I Blew Up the Kid with a shrinking ray from Honey I Shrunk the Kids.  I would also shrink an entire team of scientists, engineers, mathematicians, biologists, physicists, chemists, doctors, and surgeons, along with all of the equipment they'd need (or want).  I'd also bring a few battalions of mercenaries, including a mechanized and air division, plenty of ammo and fuel, plus spare parts.  I'd also bring maps of the entire world, and probably a navy.  I'd then unshrink everything once I got back to the past and proceed to take over the world.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 03:19:00 pm »
I would shrink an enlarging gizmo from Honey I Blew Up the Kid with a shrinking ray from Honey I Shrunk the Kids.  I would also shrink an entire team of scientists, engineers, mathematicians, biologists, physicists, chemists, doctors, and surgeons, along with all of the equipment they'd need (or want).  I'd also bring a few battalions of mercenaries, including a mechanized and air division, plenty of ammo and fuel, plus spare parts.  I'd also bring maps of the entire world, and probably a navy.  I'd then unshrink everything once I got back to the past and proceed to take over the world.
Then, when you get through, the shock of the transition causes you to drop the suitcase, killing them all.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 04:58:39 pm »
Then, when you get through, the shock of the transition causes you to drop the suitcase, killing them all.

Except I've packed them all in stasis pods surrounded by packing peanuts.

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 08:49:40 pm »
Wal-Mart.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline truste1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 08:53:58 pm »
In all seriousness. A gun and ammunition, body armor, a supply of MREs, sleeping bag, a solar powered or crank powered laptop with a collection of howto articles & Wikipedia, medicine, lots of gold, water purifier, clothing, bugspray, soap, toothbrush/toothpaste.

Edit: Scratch the laptop, too heavy. iPod touch with solar charger and relevant apps (navigation, phrases, recipes, first aid, etc.) and wikipedia downloads. Silencer for the gun. Something lightweight to sell...retractable pens maybe. Modern bow.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 09:03:58 pm by truste1 »
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 09:43:00 pm »
Iron Man suit.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 09:54:26 pm »
What about filling your suitcase with drugs (meth, heroin, whatever)? As the only source, you could be rich!

Offline truste1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 11:06:32 pm »
What about filling your suitcase with drugs (meth, heroin, whatever)? As the only source, you could be rich!

Until you run out and then you're chased by fiends.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 11:54:16 pm »

Why not fill it with the seeds to grow the plants for drugs, and knowledge as to how to cultivate them / process them? As long as the process is relatively simple, and the materials can easily be accessed.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2009, 01:16:54 pm »
iPod touch with solar charger and relevant apps (navigation, phrases, recipes, first aid, etc.) and wikipedia downloads.
Just for the record, core location wouldn't work in the past. It'd still be pretty handy to have a digital atlas, though.

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline truste1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2009, 05:56:59 pm »
iPod touch with solar charger and relevant apps (navigation, phrases, recipes, first aid, etc.) and wikipedia downloads.
Just for the record, core location wouldn't work in the past. It'd still be pretty handy to have a digital atlas, though.

star charts
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 02:24:18 pm »
Is there an iTouch app that will tell you your location if you take a picture of the sky?

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2009, 02:18:28 am »
I can't imagine why you would want to time travel at all.  Living in the present while contemplating the future is already quite a lot of effort and work.

Because you're returning from a distant planet on a stolen starship and when you approach Earth, there's an alien probe flying above the ocean, emitting high pitched whalesong and trying to communicate with an extinct species of whales, whilst destroying earth. The only way to stop the probe is to return to Earth of the past, beam two whales aboard your stolen starship and return them to the present time.

Kirk out.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.