Author Topic: Data recovery software?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Data recovery software?
« on: May 15, 2009, 03:52:32 am »
I've got a friend that had malware delete his pictures folder. Or something to that extent. Something to the tune of six years worth of pictures gone. His fault for not backing them up, but whatever, no use crying over spilled milk.

I used to know of software that would look for "deleted" files and recover them, but that was before I even started high school. Does anybody know of anything that'll work nowadays? I'm guessing that the data is still on the hard drive, there's just nothing pointing at it.

I seriously doubt the data is completely gone if it's six years worth of photos, so any caliber of software would be good. And whether or not it's open source won't be an issue... if it comes down to it, I'll just steal it. But I'd prefer open source/freeware, as rare of a chance as that would be!

Thanks in advance! Any positive solutions welcome. :)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Data recovery software?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 09:50:09 am »
First of all, tell him not to touch the computer.. if possible, turn it off (by pulling the plug) and slave the disk to another system to do this.

Second, the best free tool I was able to find (albeit from a very quick search)  was WinUndelete. It is free and fast and finds a *ton* of stuff.

Hope that helps!

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 04:26:32 pm »
First of all, tell him not to touch the computer.. if possible, turn it off (by pulling the plug) and slave the disk to another system to do this.

Did that. He kinda just shrugged that off, so a good chunk of the pictures might be gone from being overwritten, but whatever, anything beats nothing at this point. :)

Second, the best free tool I was able to find (albeit from a very quick search)  was WinUndelete. It is free and fast and finds a *ton* of stuff.

Awesome! I'll look into it! :)
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 05:45:32 pm »
Gonna throw this out there: WinUnDelete is not free! If it recovers stuff, it recovers it to an image file that the full version can unlock. That's practically ransom. :(
- Newby

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 05:48:47 pm »
Sounds like a great time to practice your cracking skills!
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 05:59:33 pm »
Try Microsoft Undelete.

(lol dos6.)
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 06:22:48 pm »
Sounds like a great time to practice your cracking skills!

It'll kill time, since I have to wait for the laundry machines to stop being in use so I can do laundry so I can have clothes that aren't dirty. :(
- Newby

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 01:25:13 am »
Heh, that's retarded. I didn't test to the point where I actually opened the file, guess I should have. :)

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 04:55:03 pm »
Heh, that's retarded. I didn't test to the point where I actually opened the file, guess I should have. :)

Oh, and it'd be super evil if it made an image out of the files, then wrote over them a whole bunch of times so it had the only copy!  Heh heh heh...
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...