Author Topic: Timetravel: what to take?  (Read 7710 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Timetravel: what to take?
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2009, 09:18:57 am »
I can't imagine why you would want to time travel at all.  Living in the present while contemplating the future is already quite a lot of effort and work.

Because you're returning from a distant planet on a stolen starship and when you approach Earth, there's an alien probe flying above the ocean, emitting high pitched whalesong and trying to communicate with an extinct species of whales, whilst destroying earth. The only way to stop the probe is to return to Earth of the past, beam two whales aboard your stolen starship and return them to the present time.

Kirk out.
You're assuming you have the ability to use the sun's gravitational pull to go fast enough that you end up back in time, somehow.

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2009, 12:09:09 pm »

I can't imagine why you would want to time travel at all.  Living in the present while contemplating the future is already quite a lot of effort and work.

Well if you did go back in time it would be less effort! You could live in the present while knowing the future already, and also knowing what would happen in the present and what has already happened in the past. The only bad part is you'd still want to contemplate the future only it'd be hundreds of years further into the future.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2009, 07:03:16 pm »

Because you're returning from a distant planet on a stolen starship and when you approach Earth, there's an alien probe flying above the ocean, emitting high pitched whalesong and trying to communicate with an extinct species of whales, whilst destroying earth. The only way to stop the probe is to return to Earth of the past, beam two whales aboard your stolen starship and return them to the present time.

Kirk out.
You're assuming you have the ability to use the sun's gravitational pull to go fast enough that you end up back in time, somehow.

The starship in question is presumed to be able to travel at warp 10.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2009, 07:29:53 pm »
There's no such thing as Warp 10, on the scale they use Warp 10 = infinite velocity.

(Actually, Tom Paris and Janeway did Warp 10 once, they were everywhere in the universe simultaneously. But if messed them up.)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2009, 08:15:02 pm »
"Several episodes of the original series placed the Enterprise in peril by having it travel at high warp factors; at one point in "That Which Survives" the Enterprise traveled at a warp factor of 14.1."
Original series doesn't count, they just made up things. The four newer serieses actually had some consistency. :P

In 24th century warp theory, a warp factor of 10 corresponds to an infinite velocity. Theoretically, a vessel traveling at warp 10 would occupy all points in the universe simultaneously. Warp 10 was the transwarp threshold, representing infinite velocity. (VOY: "Threshold")

In theory, it was possible to travel backwards in time by surpassing warp 10. (TNG: "Time Squared")

Although considered a theoretical impossibility at the time, Tom Paris of the USS Voyager reached the warp 10 threshold in 2372, using shuttlecraft Cochrane which was equipped with an extraordinarily rare form of dilithium discovered earlier that year. After it was discovered that such travel induces hyper-evolution, this technology was discontinued after the initial test. (VOY: "Threshold")

Kathryn Janeway made the observation in 2376 that rumors travel fast on board Voyager. Chakotay agreed with Janeway, quipping at "warp 10." (VOY: "The Voyager Conspiracy")

I suppose if you go faster than Warp 10, you go to infinite velocity then out the other side, or something. :)

.. although if you keep reading Memory Alpha's section on Warp Speed, there seems to be a lot of inconsistencies.. :)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2009, 07:02:21 pm »
Well then I'll just say that the starship.. oh, a Klingon Bird-of-Prey, can travel at warp 9.8. :)
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.