Author Topic: interesting new concepts for a video game media site?  (Read 2200 times)

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
interesting new concepts for a video game media site?
« on: June 02, 2009, 02:24:54 am »
i've always wanted to maintain some type of video game media site. that goal was kind of what got me into programming in the first place.

with that in mind, what sucks about most of the current big video game media sites? what's good, or do you think is useful? does anyone frequently look for video games news, or anything, and find themselves saying "i wish i could just do this," or "i wish this site had that." it doesn't have to be anything new, or revolutionary - but maybe a compilation of all the good things of various sites into one site.

personally, i've always just wanted some very simple, easy to read and browse site that had general information about a video game but aggregated feed articles of the most recent news about those games. i think a site like this would come in handy during a time like right now with E3 going on.

any ideas?
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
Re: interesting new concepts for a video game media site?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 02:26:41 am »
I know of a site like that, it's called the something awful games forum.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 02:30:14 am »
I know of a site like that, it's called the something awful games forum.

Well, no. That's what I'm trying to get away from. Currently that's what I do. I frequent all of these forums for various upcoming games, really just for any new info.

I was thinking of something a little more centralized and reliable. Maybe, something like gamestop.com, as far as info goes, but without the entire store-front part. Combined with some rss feeds about each game, or something.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 08:57:16 am »
Sort of like eXophase?

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 09:42:56 am »
ign is my go to game web site.

Offline abc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 11:23:51 am »
imo, just stay away with mass media on the website, sites for games like silkroad uses way to many flash objects, the whole site is basically flash and javascript as well as hundreds of images it just takes entirely too long to get any information what-so-ever. Coincidently, I just tried going to silkroad's website and apparently their site isn't fit to be viewed with linux...