Poll

Should x86 upgrade the forum software to SMF2?

Yes
9 (0%)
No
65535 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Forum Software  (Read 16041 times)

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
Re: Forum Software
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2009, 01:24:11 am »
65,535 people think myndfyre is wrong.
Nono, I explained this. It's one person who gets 1,000,000,000 votes, most of which weren't counted.

I wonder, if one more person votes 'yes' does it reset to 0?

Only time will tell..
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2009, 01:36:34 am »
Alright. I will host the forum. I bet it'll be generally faster and more stable than the current. Send me all your codes.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2009, 08:33:47 am »
If somebody wants to take over maintaining the server, and is willing to make a longterm commitment (including backups and such -- not a half assed attempt), I'll gladly send them the database and transfer the domain to their ownership.

If everybody prefers that I keep running the server, I'll use the software I like and upgrade when I feel comfortable with upgrading.

If you don't like the way I run the server, volunteer your time/bandwidth to host it yourself, or kindly f*** off.

I'm willing.  :)
Let me know when it's all ready and I'll send you a dump of the database.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2009, 12:01:58 pm »
So, I decided to read the SMF Dev blog today, and the latest post says that, as of about a month ago, there were 123 bugs, a few of them showstoppers, that need to be fixed before SMF2 can go live. They were hoping to have that taken care of by the end of summer.

And for what it's worth, when 2.0RC1 was released, I restored a copy of the forum database and tried to make a test site (test.x86labs.org). It failed, and I didn't bothe troubleshooting why (since it was a RC release, I didn't really see the point). I didn't talk about it at the time because I hate failing. :D

So yeah, I'm still hesitant about the short-term benefits of going to 2.0RC instead of waiting for a proper version to be released.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2009, 02:07:31 pm »
A large portion of the bugs are things with the new templating engine, which we aren't even using :)

I'll setup a test port at x86.chavoland.com and make sure all of the mods can be updated properly and such.  I intend to have it open enough for the clan to help as they desire and then roll it live after everything is in order.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2009, 03:21:42 pm »
I don't really understand what the big rush to get to 2.0 is.. I mean, we've gone 5 years on the 1.x version, and everything more or less works fine (permissions are a pain, but we don't use those much anyways). Why not wait a few more months till they decide that 2.0 is good and ready?

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2009, 05:03:31 pm »
The fact that we continually have arguments about "why can't we do this?" or "this is a pain" is the primary motivation.  You personally haven't had these complaints so it's easy to see how, from your point of view, it's no biggie and there's no rush but others of us (like myself that is used to 2.0), it's a completely unnecessary pain when the solution is there just waiting to be used :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2009, 05:22:30 pm »
I'm not sure exactly what you mean about continually having arguments that I haven't heard. Who's having these continual arguments, and where?

I realize that it'll be a nice change, and I'm looking forward to rolling out the proper 2.0 version when it's released, and when I can feel comfortable that it isn't going to break anything. Till then, why can't we 'suffer' with 1.x for a couple more months? :P

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2009, 07:10:55 pm »
You and I have discussed it (with others sometimes involved) in at least 3-4 different threads over the last few months.  I think Blaze and I had some discussion on it too when we wanted to do something that we couldn't with 1.x permissions.

If I thought that SMF2.0 would release in a few months and that we'd never have an issue again, I'd buy that argument but the reality is that SMF has a very poor track record at adhering to any type of release schedule and 6 months is more likely.  In addition, we can be pretty confident that you'll be just as stubborn with the next release that we may or may not want to adopt sooner. :P

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2009, 07:42:33 pm »
Depends what you mean by 'next release' -- I'll be willing to install 2.0 when it comes out, but not 2.0RC2 or 2.0RC3 or even 2.0RC100. :P

How about we make a deal, then. We'll give them 6 months (till Feb 1/2010). If 2.0 isn't fully released by then, we'll install whatever their latest RC is. Yes? :P

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2009, 10:25:50 pm »
You won't even update to 1.1.9 or 1.1.10.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2009, 11:04:07 pm »
You won't even update to 1.1.9 or 1.1.10.
To be honest, I didn't know those existed. I don't always pay attention to versions. I have no issue installing 1.1.10.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2009, 11:36:14 pm »
Depends what you mean by 'next release' -- I'll be willing to install 2.0 when it comes out, but not 2.0RC2 or 2.0RC3 or even 2.0RC100. :P
I'm talking about 2.1 or 2.5 or 3.0, you'll be slow again :P

How about we make a deal, then. We'll give them 6 months (till Feb 1/2010). If 2.0 isn't fully released by then, we'll install whatever their latest RC is. Yes? :P
Obviously we are going to have to agree to disagree on this point, but I don't see a worthy reason to wait the 6 months.

I didn't know those existed. I don't always pay attention to versions.
yet another reason :)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2009, 11:46:02 pm »
I'm talking about 2.1 or 2.5 or 3.0, you'll be slow again :P
I never have an issue upgrading to stable releases.

Obviously we are going to have to agree to disagree on this point, but I don't see a worthy reason to wait the 6 months.
Because it's a non-released version. It even says on their site to use it for experimentation/testing purposes only, not for production sites.

I didn't know those existed. I don't always pay attention to versions.
yet another reason :)
Another reason to upgrade to a non-released version? That doesn't even make sense -- it should be a reason AGAINST installing a non-release version, if anything. :P

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2009, 12:02:35 am »
I never have an issue upgrading to stable releases.
Right, I'm talking about stable non-releases again

Because it's a non-released version. It even says on their site to use it for experimentation/testing purposes only, not for production sites.
I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here because I've said this a number of times and it's the crux of our disagreement...SMF is abusing the RC label and it's plenty stable.  I've been running it on a production site (forum.chavoland.com) for some time.  The vast majority of bugs pertain to the new themeing/templating system because that's the major new feature of SMF.  We don't care about that, but we do care about other notable features like the improved permissions.  I don't think it's worth my time to debate this in great detail since we've talked about it before and apparently gotten nowhere.

Another reason to upgrade to a non-released version? That doesn't even make sense -- it should be a reason AGAINST installing a non-release version, if anything. :P
It's another reason to migrate the forum.  You acted like you were mad that people were bitching at you to upgrade and gave an ultimatum to either shutup or take over the responsibility.  I'm offering to take over the responsibility.  It's only now, after you've seen that I'm serious about it, that you've made some effort in this particular maintenance aspect (not that you were doing a poor job before..I do appreciate you hosting the site/domain, just that we obviously have had some disagreement regarding the extent of this).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 12:04:23 am by Chavo »