Author Topic: Scots may require registration of bicycles  (Read 14633 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Scots may require registration of bicycles
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 06:11:13 pm »
How can they even require registration? Last night, I stripped a bike apart into each of its individual pieces in like 10 minutes. Completely down to the bare frame, so that can go and be powdercoated. If you can completely change every piece on the bike, and then go paint the frame.. the only possible way of "registration" would involve some sort of identification number. And that would not be possible on old bikes, nor would it be easy to enforce with the amount of bikes that are stolen these days.

The idea seems like a decent theory, but if you think about it for a minute, it's preposterous. Do I have to contact the Department of Transportation every time I paint my frame a different color, or change the wheels?
They could just make everybody get a license plates, the same way bike couriers (at least here) have.

Boom, done, next.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 06:45:32 pm »
How can they even require registration? Last night, I stripped a bike apart into each of its individual pieces in like 10 minutes. Completely down to the bare frame, so that can go and be powdercoated. If you can completely change every piece on the bike, and then go paint the frame.. the only possible way of "registration" would involve some sort of identification number. And that would not be possible on old bikes, nor would it be easy to enforce with the amount of bikes that are stolen these days.

The idea seems like a decent theory, but if you think about it for a minute, it's preposterous. Do I have to contact the Department of Transportation every time I paint my frame a different color, or change the wheels?
They could just make everybody get a license plates, the same way bike couriers (at least here) have.

Boom, done, next.

Easy to steal plates / such a hassle if you have multiple bikes / old bikes don't have any sort of mounting or standard for it on the frame. Oh, and it'd be terribly hard to enforce, I'd imagine.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 07:12:58 pm »

Boom, done, next.

Bike messengers in Philly....that's pretty much them.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 07:36:22 pm »

Boom, done, next.

Easy to steal plates / such a hassle if you have multiple bikes / old bikes don't have any sort of mounting or standard for it on the frame. Oh, and it'd be terribly hard to enforce, I'd imagine.

Most of those have the exact same issues with cars, and the same solutions, too.

Offline Camel

• View Profile
    • BNU Bot
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 07:54:57 pm »
He has a point about pedestrians, though. What if a pedestrian walks across the street on a red light, and causes an accident? That's the same situation that was posed, except a pedestrian instead of a bike.

The other issue is, if a cyclist causes an accident, why should it be up to the driver's insurance to cover it? (same with pedestrians)
The issue is the same if you replace the cyclist with an uninsured driver. The bottom line is it's all covered by the same "uninsured whatever" clause in the insurance, and you're only penalized if you're found to be at fault anyways.

Are you suggesting that the pedestrian/cyclist/uninsured driver should have to pay out of pocket to fix your car? If a branch falls off a tree and kills your car, should the tree pay out of pocket?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 07:59:03 pm by Camel »

<Camel> i said what what
<Blaze> in the butt
<Camel> you want to do it in my butt?
<Blaze> in my butt
<Camel> let's do it in the butt
<Blaze> Okay!

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 07:59:30 pm »
That has nothing to do with registration, and everything to do with insurance/you being arrested.

I just made you say bikes don't need insurance. You lose.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 08:22:52 pm »

Boom, done, next.

[img ][ /img]Bike messengers in Philly....that's pretty much them.

You just posted a picture of some random emo-wannabe trendwhore fixed gear rider. What was the point of that, again?

Boom, done, next.

Most of those have the exact same issues with cars, and the same solutions, too.

Heh, not really. How do you expect to make sure a certain plate is registered to the bike it's on? It's not like you can compare with the rider's biking license unless you actually, you know, require people to have a license to ride bikes.

Requiring registration for bikes is like requiring registration for guns. Sure, it may help sometimes, but there's always ways to avoid dealing with it. Get caught up with an illegal bike? Who cares. Leave it somewhere and go get another.. they're cheap and easily available.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 08:25:57 pm by Quik »
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 08:34:33 pm »

Boom, done, next.

[img ][ /img]Bike messengers in Philly....that's pretty much them.

You just posted a picture of some random emo-wannabe trendwhore fixed gear rider. What was the point of that, again?
Because that's what they are all like.  Ever try to get an emo-wannabe trendwhore to "conform" to something like registration?  Not gonna happen.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 09:01:47 pm »
Heh, not really. How do you expect to make sure a certain plate is registered to the bike it's on? It's not like you can compare with the rider's biking license unless you actually, you know, require people to have a license to ride bikes.

Requiring registration for bikes is like requiring registration for guns. Sure, it may help sometimes, but there's always ways to avoid dealing with it. Get caught up with an illegal bike? Who cares. Leave it somewhere and go get another.. they're cheap and easily available.
Would requiring a license to ride a bike be such a bad thing? I mean, if you're on the road, it's assumed you should understand the rules of the road. Requiring a driver license to ride a bike with traffic actually makes sense.

True enough comparing it to gun registration. I think the insurance aspect of it is more important than registering it, really.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 09:26:52 pm »

Would requiring a license to ride a bike be such a bad thing? I mean, if you're on the road, it's assumed you should understand the rules of the road. Requiring a driver license to ride a bike with traffic actually makes sense.

True enough comparing it to gun registration. I think the insurance aspect of it is more important than registering it, really.

Wait until you're a dad, trying to teach your kids how to ride a bike. But first, field trip to the DMV to get your bike license!

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 09:37:08 pm »
Nope!  First is a field trip to the DMV/MVC for a bicycle permit.  Then after ~6 months (depending on the state) span and accumulated 60 hours of riding with someone who's been licensed for 3 years you go on another field trip for your license.  Of course, you can get it a year earlier if you take a course, but then you can only ride at certain times of the day, and then after a year of that you get your full license.  And then you have to go back when you're 21.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 11:07:35 pm »
Same applies to motorcycles

That has nothing to do with registration, and everything to do with insurance/you being arrested.

I just made you say bikes don't need insurance. You lose.
WTF?

I asked why register cars?  You talked about running a bike into a house.  I responded that has to do with insurance.

Bicyclists SHOULD have insurance, because the DO cause damage.  Look at any large campus with bikers.  What happens when the knock someone down (seen it)?  They dont/cant pay for medical treatment.  What about bikes involved in car accidents?  Damage to fenders can happen easily, and be pricey.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 11:16:06 pm »

Wait until you're a dad, trying to teach your kids how to ride a bike. But first, field trip to the DMV to get your bike license!

I think you missed the part where I said "on the road" with "with traffic" -- I assume the junior isn't going to be cruising down the main thoroughfares.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 11:19:28 pm »
I think you missed the part where I said "on the road" with "with traffic" -- I assume the junior isn't going to be cruising down the main thoroughfares.
You'd be surprised how many bad parents there are in this country. I've seen MANY young children and pre-teens biking on streets with no sidewalk and cars going at 55mph.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2009, 01:00:07 am »
so a 5 year old needs insurance.