Author Topic: Scots may require registration of bicycles  (Read 14629 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: Scots may require registration of bicycles
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009, 01:17:13 am »
If someone bikes into you hard enough to dent your fender it should be a matter of law, not insurance.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 01:44:20 am »
If someone bikes into you hard enough to dent your fender it should be a matter of law, not insurance.
I agree.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 03:16:54 am »
so a 5 year old needs insurance.
Honestly, I'd much rather a few five year olds get hit and parents realize they suck at life.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 04:55:49 am »
I think you missed the part where I said "on the road" with "with traffic" -- I assume the junior isn't going to be cruising down the main thoroughfares.
You'd be surprised how many bad parents there are in this country. I've seen MANY young children and pre-teens biking on streets with no sidewalk and cars going at 55mph.

Heh, guess nobody here had any sort of childhood. You're trying to tell me that you never cruised around with your friends on the streets with your bike as your only mode of transportation when you were in middle and early high school? Don't blame the parents..

Oh, and it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk. Stick to the bike lane.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 07:45:40 am »
In my hometown, there are no bike lanes. I don't think there's a single bike lane in the whole city.

In Madison, bike lanes are scary enough to make me crap myself. The bus lane doubles as the right-turn lane, and to get into it you need to cross the bike lane. That's right, you're now a moving target.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 08:25:17 am »
I think you missed the part where I said "on the road" with "with traffic" -- I assume the junior isn't going to be cruising down the main thoroughfares.
You'd be surprised how many bad parents there are in this country. I've seen MANY young children and pre-teens biking on streets with no sidewalk and cars going at 55mph.

Heh, guess nobody here had any sort of childhood. You're trying to tell me that you never cruised around with your friends on the streets with your bike as your only mode of transportation when you were in middle and early high school? Don't blame the parents..

By the time you're old enough to be in middle/high school, it isn't unreasonable to earn a license of some sort, even if it's specifically a cyclist license. And who's blaming the parents?

I'm not sure about the US, but here it's legal to ride on the sidewalk until you have wheels of a certain size (I forget how big). So it's legal for kids to ride on the street, but not adults (typically).

<edit> For what it's worth, you bounced between "you're a dad, trying to teach your kids how to ride a bike" and being in middle school/highschool and using your bike to commute. You're going to have to pick some arguments and stick with them, otherwise it's impossible to discuss. :P
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 10:25:20 am by iago »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 10:39:01 am »

It is a matter of law.  But, can you afford $700 tomorrow if you crash a bicycle into someone's car?  Probably not.  Hence having insurance

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 02:31:21 pm »

By the time you're old enough to be in middle/high school, it isn't unreasonable to earn a license of some sort, even if it's specifically a cyclist license. And who's blaming the parents?

I'm not sure about the US, but here it's legal to ride on the sidewalk until you have wheels of a certain size (I forget how big). So it's legal for kids to ride on the street, but not adults (typically).

<edit> For what it's worth, you bounced between "you're a dad, trying to teach your kids how to ride a bike" and being in middle school/highschool and using your bike to commute. You're going to have to pick some arguments and stick with them, otherwise it's impossible to discuss. :P

I just referenced riding around in middle school because many people were talking about never seeing "kids" in the streets. Hell, we did it during elementary school. How young are you defining "kids"? I don't think it's much of a difference between the two age groups I was mentioning.. I don't expect any 12 year olds to go get a biking license, even if it is required by law. It's just not happening.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 02:48:45 pm »

No I've done all of that. But there's a difference between doing that and being smart about it. And when there's a five to ten then year old driving a bike against traffic going 55mph, I have every right to be pissed off at the idiot parent that didn't teach them how to not be a dipshit.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2009, 09:36:15 pm »

It is a matter of law.  But, can you afford $700 tomorrow if you crash a bicycle into someone's car?  Probably not.  Hence having insurance

I think you missed my point. I was kinda vague. I mean that if someone bikes into a fender hard enough to damage it, they meant to do it.

And no, I don't have $700 to fix someone's fender tomorrow. I'm not planning on biking anywhere tomorrow (or in the foreseeable future), and even if I were, I wouldn't bike straight into someone's fender.

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2009, 10:09:37 pm »
They might not have meant to do it, but odds are either they were jacking around or it was a pretty hilarious mistake to watch.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2009, 04:37:09 pm »

I think you missed my point. I was kinda vague. I mean that if someone bikes into a fender hard enough to damage it, they meant to do it.
Not necessarily.  What about when a bike runs a stop sign?  Kid nails fender, lands on hood.  Right there is hundreds in damage.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2009, 05:19:34 pm »
Not if you have this:

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2009, 01:17:26 am »
side story: My dad was waiting at a stop light. He was a couple feet into the crosswalk, and some fat bitch on a bike slammed into him; dented the hood pretty bad.

She asked for $100,000 from our insurance company, and got $50,000.

By law my dad was in fault, but the fat bitch should be able to control her bike better.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2009, 02:03:29 am »
Not necessarily.  What about when a bike runs a stop sign?  Kid nails fender, lands on hood.  Right there is hundreds in damage.

I didn't know they made F150's out of cardboard.