Author Topic: Excerpt from "Against Meat"  (Read 33526 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Excerpt from "Against Meat"
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2009, 01:40:55 pm »
It's crazy to think that morality is relative?  I don't think you should be so sure about that.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2009, 02:04:10 pm »
It's crazy to think that morality is relative?  I don't think you should be so sure about that.
Yes, it is.

But discussing the reasoning is well beyond the scope.. plus, it's been a few years since I got my philosophy degree. I assure you, at the time, I had great reasons. :)

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2009, 03:41:07 pm »
Yes, it is.

But discussing the reasoning is well beyond the scope.. plus, it's been a few years since I got my philosophy degree. I assure you, at the time, I had great reasons. :)

How do you explain the different morals between cultures? This could be comparing our culture to another culture in any time period

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2009, 04:07:03 pm »
Yes, it is.

How do you explain the different morals between cultures? This could be comparing our culture to another culture in any time period
Simple! [You're|They're|We're] doing it wrong. :)

I submit that there's a universal right/wrong, and that no culture necessarily follows it. Feel free to disagree :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2009, 06:41:47 pm »
Many people with PhDs in philosophy support moral relativity.

Until you demonstrate morality is objective, your argument is practically useless. :)

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2009, 07:54:53 pm »
So much easier to get my protein from meat and dairy products... and kill two birds with one stone by also satiating my craving for meat!  It also fills me faster.  And I have an good appetite for my size.

I could eat nuts for protein, but they're a snack food for me... something I munch on in between meals.

I'm an ends justifies the means kind of guy.  So if eating meat makes me happy, then the ends justify the means!  gg

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 08:18:50 pm by while1 »
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2009, 08:20:46 pm »
I could eat nuts for protein, but they're a snack food for me... something I munch on in between meals.
Congratulations you just proved your ignorance. Nuts are nowhere near exclusively the only method by which to get essential proteins, and definitely not something a regular vegetarian or vegan would consider as a large portion of his or her meals.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2009, 09:03:27 pm »
Congratulations you just proved your ignorance. Nuts are nowhere near exclusively the only method by which to get essential proteins, and definitely not something a regular vegetarian or vegan would consider as a large portion of his or her meals.
Yeah. The average human gets WAY too much protein (and it isn't good for you -- it promotes things like osteoperosis). I get plenty of vegetable protein, which is better for you.

Many people with PhDs in philosophy support moral relativity.

Until you demonstrate morality is objective, your argument is practically useless. :)
The problem is, if you take that road, there's no way to come to any kind of agreement on a moral issue, whether it's vegetarianism, abortion, murder, etc.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2009, 10:24:08 pm »
The problem is, if you take that road, there's no way to come to any kind of agreement on a moral issue, whether it's vegetarianism, abortion, murder, etc.

I realize this.  That doesn't demonstrate anything, however.  It's completely true, but it only highlights an inconvenient truth if morality is relative.

There are far better arguments against moral relativity.

I'm pretty much a utilitarian, but this is a gaping hole in your argument.  Until you provide a definition of morality, and give (or cite) an argument for why it's accurate, any argument you base on morality is completely meaningless to anyone thoughtful enough to see that almost all of your argument hinges on how you define morality (which isn't very thoughtful).

Even with utilitarianism, the consideration as to which 'beings' should be included in the set of things we calculate utility on is completely arbitrary.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2009, 11:17:41 pm »

I realize this.  That doesn't demonstrate anything, however.  It's completely true, but it only highlights an inconvenient truth if morality is relative.

There are far better arguments against moral relativity.

I'm pretty much a utilitarian, but this is a gaping hole in your argument.  Until you provide a definition of morality, and give (or cite) an argument for why it's accurate, any argument you base on morality is completely meaningless to anyone thoughtful enough to see that almost all of your argument hinges on how you define morality (which isn't very thoughtful).

Even with utilitarianism, the consideration as to which 'beings' should be included in the set of things we calculate utility on is completely arbitrary.
It is arbitrary indeed, but I think it makes sense to calculate utility, at the very least, for anything that thinks, has emotions, and feels pain. Also, even if you only include them as a minor point, there are FAR more of them than us, and their losses far exceed our gains, so it makes a difference. :)

If you don't agree, then we've found the core issue where our opinions diverge.. the rest is all just noise. :)

Also, utilitarianism is fundamentally broken. Any system where you can justify genocide is bad!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 11:20:05 pm by iago »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2009, 11:45:09 pm »
It is arbitrary indeed, but I think it makes sense to calculate utility, at the very least, for anything that thinks, has emotions, and feels pain. Also, even if you only include them as a minor point, there are FAR more of them than us, and their losses far exceed our gains, so it makes a difference. :)

If you don't agree, then we've found the core issue where our opinions diverge.. the rest is all just noise. :)

I've been saying this in a less abstract form for several pages of posts. :P

Also, utilitarianism is fundamentally broken. Any system where you can justify genocide is bad!

Why?

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2009, 11:48:00 pm »

Why? Because it doesn't work within your system of morality? I don't know enough about various philosophies or logic to know if they're sufficiently rigorous to be expressed arithmetically, but extending Godel's theorem(s), wouldn't that mean that its impossible to show that your system of morality is consistent? That is, you can't prove the validity of your moral system by using morals derived therein. Would that make all moral discourse moot? Am I just rambling? These are all questions, but this is a statement.
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2009, 11:51:22 pm »
iago, may I suggest you become a Fruitarian?
That way you don't kill plants, because they are alive too.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2009, 07:49:57 am »
But by being a Fruitarian he's essentially aborting all the new plants that could be born.  That is morally wrong for some reason.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2009, 08:05:57 am »
Fuck. iago, maybe you should be a seedless fruitarian?