Announcements > [x86] Announcements

Router issues...

<< < (6/8) > >>

iago:

--- Quote from: Joe on November 08, 2009, 08:02:43 pm ---When you restructure your Virtual Machines, I'd recommend (on no educational basis) using the host operating system for two functions: A router, and a VM host. That way, next time something bad happens, SSH into the host machine, issue a "reboot now", and then cleverly written boot scripts restart all your VMs and whatnot.

Opinion?

--- End quote ---
I used to do that. The problem is, my current connection is PPPoE, and drops pretty regularly. My Linksys router is pretty good at re-establishing the connection quickly, Linux might not be so good. My friend used to use Linux for PPPoE, and he got a lot of nasty crashes.

Sidoh:
whatever it is, it needs fixing.  FIX IT.

how do I recommend you do that?  it's a simple, three step plam:

1) FIX IT
2) FIX IT
and finally, 3) FIX IT.

Lead:

--- Quote from: Sidoh on November 11, 2009, 10:28:37 am ---whatever it is, it needs fixing.  FIX IT.

1) FIX IT
2) FIX IT
and finally, 3) FIX IT.

--- End quote ---

You forgot 4) ????? and 5) Profit.

Blaze:

--- Quote from: Sidoh on November 11, 2009, 10:28:37 am ---whatever it is, it needs fixing.  FIX IT.

1) FIX IT
2) FIX IT
and finally, 3) FIX IT.

--- End quote ---

I have a simple 1 step plan:

1) Succeed.

If you follow the plan, you're golden.

Camel:

--- Quote from: iago on November 09, 2009, 06:55:15 am ---My Linksys router is pretty good at re-establishing the connection quickly, Linux might not be so good. My friend used to use Linux for PPPoE, and he got a lot of nasty crashes.

--- End quote ---
WRT-54G is Linux, so that's a pretty bad argument :)

When I lived in the Fraternity house, I set up a Gentoo box to serve as a gateway/NATing router. Before we spent the money on the dedicated machine, I tried several different flavors of firmware for WRT-54G (we got three of these so we could get WiFi almost everywhere in the house), and none of them could scale to the ~50 computers on the network. They simply didn't have enough ram to persist that many connections.

We also bought two 20-something-port 100MBit/2-port gigabit switches, which we planted in the attic. It took about a month for me and one other person to finish wiring every room (2 singles, 14 doubles, 2 triples). It's been 4 years, and the system only gone down once in that entire time, due to the power going out.

In going with this solution, I realized how crippled these little boxes really are. As switches, they are fine, but the minute you start relying on a limited-RAM machine to perform NAT, you're pretty screwed. Aside from the obvious benefit of not having to reboot the WRTs six times a day, the internet-bound latency dropped significantly, and WiFi connections stopped dropping.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version