Announcements > [x86] Announcements

Router issues...

<< < (8/8)

iago:

--- Quote from: Camel on November 15, 2009, 05:57:33 am ---
--- Quote ---Whether or not WRT54g is running Linux under the hood, it's pretty specialized hardware. Definitely different than what you'd have in a standard desktop/server.
--- End quote ---
What's special about a 125MHz ARM processor connected to a 4-port switch and some LEDs?

--- End quote ---
The difference is, it's designed for one very special purpose in life: networking. When something is specialized, it typically handles weird cases better.

--- Quote ---Whatever the case, I'm not going to take the effort of setting up PPPoE on a gateway machine when the potential consequences outweigh the benefits.
--- End quote ---
I'm not suggesting that you should; I just think the arguments you made are unfounded, because they beg the question.
[/quote]
What I'm saying isn't even an argument.. it's a true story. That happened. You can't really refute that..

Joe:
I think we can conclude this now. Camel obviously wants iago to set up a Linux box as a router, and iago obviously isn't going to do it. Case closed.

Camel:
This is what I was referring to:

--- Quote from: iago on November 09, 2009, 06:55:15 am ---My Linksys router is pretty good at re-establishing the connection quickly, Linux might not be so good. My friend used to use Linux for PPPoE, and he got a lot of nasty crashes.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Joe on November 15, 2009, 02:47:05 pm ---I think we can conclude this now. Camel obviously wants iago to set up a Linux box as a router, and iago obviously isn't going to do it. Case closed.

--- End quote ---
When did I say iago should do this? I was just pointing out that iago was blaming the wrong thing for his friend's kernel panics.

iago:

--- Quote from: Camel on November 15, 2009, 02:48:59 pm ---This is what I was referring to:

--- Quote from: iago on November 09, 2009, 06:55:15 am ---My Linksys router is pretty good at re-establishing the connection quickly, Linux might not be so good. My friend used to use Linux for PPPoE, and he got a lot of nasty crashes.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
And semantics aside, I think it's still valid. :P

--- Quote from: Camel on November 15, 2009, 02:48:59 pm ---
--- Quote from: Joe on November 15, 2009, 02:47:05 pm ---I think we can conclude this now. Camel obviously wants iago to set up a Linux box as a router, and iago obviously isn't going to do it. Case closed.

--- End quote ---
When did I say iago should do this? I was just pointing out that iago was blaming the wrong thing for his friend's kernel panics.

--- End quote ---
Don't get trolled. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version