Announcements > [x86] Announcements

Server maintenance is coming!

<< < (2/4) > >>

deadly7:

--- Quote from: Camel on November 23, 2009, 11:37:25 am ---My harddrives tend to go bad before they get full. Consider yourself lucky!

--- End quote ---
I have yet to have a harddrive fail on me that I didn't do something malicious to. Taking care of your parts really isn't that difficult.

iago:

--- Quote from: Camel on November 23, 2009, 01:31:52 pm ---It it xen, or an application-level VM? I was reading about xen the other day - cool stuff.

--- End quote ---
Full-system VM -- specifically, VMWare Server edition. I'd like to learn Xen, but we use VMWare at work so I'm used to it, and I've gotten accustomed to VMWare Server's stupid little quirks.

MyndFyre:

--- Quote from: deadly7 on November 23, 2009, 01:32:08 pm ---
--- Quote from: Camel on November 23, 2009, 11:37:25 am ---My harddrives tend to go bad before they get full. Consider yourself lucky!

--- End quote ---
I have yet to have a harddrive fail on me that I didn't do something malicious to. Taking care of your parts really isn't that difficult.

--- End quote ---
TWSS

Camel:

--- Quote from: deadly7 on November 23, 2009, 01:32:08 pm ---I have yet to have a harddrive fail on me that I didn't do something malicious to. Taking care of your parts really isn't that difficult.

--- End quote ---
Harddrives have moving parts, and the ferrous material doesn't last forever. I've yet to have a harddrive fail before I moved its data to a fresh drive, but I've had many (at least 5) harddrives that I've owned long enough for them to die of normal wear. These days, I generally only buy WD Black drives, which come with a 5 year warranty, so I imagine those ones will last much longer.

--- Quote from: iago on November 23, 2009, 02:41:13 pm ---I'd like to learn Xen, but we use VMWare at work so I'm used to it, and I've gotten accustomed to VMWare Server's stupid little quirks.

--- End quote ---
I'm using Virtual Box at home because it was free (read: easier to download) and does what I need. If I had the time to screw around with it, and another machine to play around with, I would love to learn Xen. Right now, my 3 machines all have their own purpose - my Linux box has to have 98% uptime, or I'll lose money, so that one's out. My main machine is for gaming, which I'm not willing to sacrifice. I could do it on my Mac, but the harddrive is so slow that backing up takes forever, so I just don't feel like doing it. :D

iago:

--- Quote from: Camel on November 23, 2009, 03:11:15 pm ---
--- Quote from: iago on November 23, 2009, 02:41:13 pm ---I'd like to learn Xen, but we use VMWare at work so I'm used to it, and I've gotten accustomed to VMWare Server's stupid little quirks.

--- End quote ---
I'm using Virtual Box at home because it was free (read: easier to download) and does what I need. If I had the time to screw around with it, and another machine to play around with, I would love to learn Xen. Right now, my 3 machines all have their own purpose - my Linux box has to have 98% uptime, or I'll lose money, so that one's out. My main machine is for gaming, which I'm not willing to sacrifice. I could do it on my Mac, but the harddrive is so slow that backing up takes forever, so I just don't feel like doing it. :D

--- End quote ---
VMWare server is free free, which is nice. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version