Member Forums > Joe's Bunker of Pie

New stuffs

(1/6) > >>

Joe:
First, iago's server is a psychopath.

Second, I got a job tutoring at school. My life just went from eat, sleep, homework and school to eat, tutor, homework and school.

Third, I've started playing WarCraft III on Battle.net extremely casually. I joined Clan BoT (Bitches of Thunder) on Azeroth. /f a joe[x86].

Fourth, I forgot what's fourth.

Sidoh:
Ugh.  Tutoring is painful.  I've been doing private tutoring since last semester.  It pays well, but jesus it's frustrating.

oh well.  it's work, right? :)

Joe:
$8.95 / hour to sit in the computer lab and answer peoples quick questions 17 hours a week. I was convinced by the lab director (the referee type guy) considering that's all I do anyhow.

Sidoh:

--- Quote from: Joe on February 10, 2010, 12:01:09 am ---$8.95 / hour to sit in the computer lab and answer peoples quick questions 17 hours a week. I was convinced by the lab director (the referee type guy) considering that's all I do anyhow.

--- End quote ---

I guess it depends on the type of classes you're tutoring for.  The lab monitors in the CS lab here get caught up in hour-long questions fairly regularly, and they're recognized by the students, so even when they're not on duty, they're attacked by rabid stupids.

The private tutoring thing is a pretty good deal.  I charge $30-$40/hr.  My students are typically foreign students who are sponsored by groups who are more than willing to shell out some cash for a private tutor.  My friend does the same thing, but he was a lot more available last semester, so got a lot more students.  He's tutoring 10-15 hours a week making $40/hr.  Fucking bank.

Anyway, good luck with all of that.  Patience is a virtue, and in my experience, tutoring does its damnedest to prove to you that you don't have it.

Joe:
I'd feel like a dick to charge $30 / hr to help people, especially students paying their own way through school. The reason they went to a tech college over UW-Madison was probably because they can't afford it anyhow. :(.

But I'm anticipating the being attacked by people wherever I go, which is really fine because 80% of my time on campus but outside of class is free time anyhow. I really like the level of professionalism that they offer so far though -- if I need to talk to a teacher about school business, it's on the clock. If I need a book to review something so I can tutor better, the school pays for it. Of course, it's owned by the IT lab and not me, but that's basically my "home" on campus, so that's cool with me. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version