Author Topic: beta irc server changes  (Read 2731 times)

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
beta irc server changes
« on: March 02, 2010, 12:24:46 am »
I know various users check these forums regularly, and might have been afk during today's events.

I was experiencing the world's weirdest internet issue. My verizon fios connection at home was unable to ping or tracert my server's IP address. My server was online and functioning just fine. It was a routing issue on Verizon's end. They were taking weeks to even understand the issue, so I just decided to inquire about getting a new IP for my server. I had asked about getting a new IP for free, and didn't expect them to just give me one. I figured there'd be some kind of final confirmation or something. Well, they didn't give me any notice and changed my server's IP. I was able to change all DNS entries that I have access to, to reflect this change. I do not have access to b3t4.org's, though. So, irc.b3t4.org may come back sometime in the future if it ever gets changed, but immediate action was required and so the beta irc server now has a new "permanent" hostname.

Please use irc.betawarz.com, or beta.tehnet.org to connect to my server. TehUser's server, irc.tehnet.org, also still works.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 12:27:10 am by warz »
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: beta irc server changes
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 01:08:10 am »
Noooo!  b3t4!

:(

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 01:59:46 am »
We need to get more people on here =o

Offline warz

• View Profile
    • chyea.org
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 10:41:40 am »
Noooo!  b3t4!

:(

Yea. :(

Sadly, this change has been on the horizon for a long time. Torque had been trying to let b3t4.org expire, but had the domain on auto-renew for 2 year periods. So, we kind of had 2 years to prepare for this. lol. The domain, b3t4.org itself, expires in a few months anyways. I asked if he'd transfer the domain to me and he said no. He said he'd update the DNS but I don't see that happening.

At least now everything relating to my server, and TehUser's, are all in our control now. So, future proofing isn't as difficult.
http://www.chyea.org/ - web based markup debugger

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 11:43:40 am »
I asked if he'd transfer the domain to me and he said no.
Some sites let you backorder domain names so when they expire, you get them right away. No clue if that's true, though. :)