Author Topic: Help, my neighbour turned off their wifi!  (Read 7696 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Help, my neighbour turned off their wifi!
« on: March 03, 2010, 11:21:19 am »
http://mashable.com/2010/02/22/stolen-wifi-confusion/

Too funny. A woman calls a tech support show when he neighbour turns off his wifi that she's been using for over a year :)

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
Re: Help, my neighbour turned off their wifi!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 11:25:48 am »
I like that tech show.  Leo Laporte is awesome.  :)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 11:26:23 am »
Hahaha.  I forget who linked that to me, but I think it was someone here

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 12:42:16 pm »
I like how he compares it to stealing groceries because you think they're too expensive. People are idiots-- especially the guy who didn't turn encryption on

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 01:05:19 pm »
I like how he compares it to stealing groceries because you think they're too expensive. People are idiots-- especially the guy who didn't turn encryption on

I think there's a difference between using open wifi and stealing: as long as you're not being an ass, you're not hurting the person you're "borrowing" from at all.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 02:19:19 pm »

I think there's a difference between using open wifi and stealing: as long as you're not being an ass, you're not hurting the person you're "borrowing" from at all.

Well, you have to trust that they aren't evil (and they have to trust that you aren't).

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 03:11:19 pm »

Well, you have to trust that they aren't evil (and they have to trust that you aren't).

That's irrelevant.  I'm addressing a hypothetical.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 03:41:49 pm »

I completely agree, it isn't really harming the person (unless you completely whore their bandwidth). But, it still is stealing.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 04:23:33 pm »

I don't disagree, I've used people's wifi before too, especially when I'm travelling and lost. :) I always encrypt my connection, though, because I don't trust people.

My point is, though, that even though neither is likely going to hurt the other, either one of them can be malicious and the other would never ever know.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 07:25:58 pm »

I completely agree, it isn't really harming the person (unless you completely whore their bandwidth). But, it still is stealing.

I'm objecting to the claim that "it's stealing".  In countries where bandwidth limits are more relevant, I might have to agree.  Here in the states, though, you're not really taking anything away anything.

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 09:16:23 pm »
I'm objecting to the claim that "it's stealing".  In countries where bandwidth limits are more relevant, I might have to agree.  Here in the states, though, you're not really taking anything away anything.
What if I used it to torrent?

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 09:53:46 pm »
You're not the person that's paying for it. You didn't even *ASK* to use it. It's not your property and it's not a communal right. If you keep your keys in your car (unsecured wifi) and someone drives it off and brings it back, you'd be fully right to press charges against him.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 09:58:20 pm »
You're not the person that's paying for it. You didn't even *ASK* to use it. It's not your property and it's not a communal right. If you keep your keys in your car (unsecured wifi) and someone drives it off and brings it back, you'd be fully right to press charges against him.

I don't agree that your analogy accurately describes using an unsecured wireless connection.  If you take someone's car, you're depriving them of the chance to use it for the period in which you borrow it.

If you use an unsecured connection in the correct manner, you deprive the owner of nothing.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 10:50:30 pm »

I don't agree that your analogy accurately describes using an unsecured wireless connection.  If you take someone's car, you're depriving them of the chance to use it for the period in which you borrow it.

If you use an unsecured connection in the correct manner, you deprive the owner of nothing.
I don't disagree with your argument.

What I'm saying is, it's a bad idea. :)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 11:00:33 pm »

On a legal standpoint, that doesn't really matter. You could be a 90-year old granny that just e-mails once a month. If you paid for it, you can use your Internet all you want. If you're piggybacking, there is a fine precedent that, too fucking bad it's your ass.
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelessfaqs/f/legal_free_wifi.htm
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine