Author Topic: Get human cheese in NYC!  (Read 12591 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Get human cheese in NYC!
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2010, 01:00:04 am »
Well, if you argue that human-created inventions are "natural", then I have to rule your definition of "natural" wrong/perverted and dismiss any arguments predicated on that concept. :)

Wrong?  Why is wrong or perverted?  I think it makes a lot more sense than your definition.  It might not be as uh... useful for your purposes, but that doesn't mean crap.

also, consider Ender's point.  It was a very good one, I think.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2010, 10:58:39 pm »
The thing is, in the left few years I've tried to deconstruct my socialized biases and look at the world for what, for lack of definition, it really is. Basically, trying to look past the things I was taught as a kid and look at how things are outside of what humans have turned the world into.

That idea, however, goes exactly against what you and Ender are saying, that man-created society can be considered natural.

The way I see it, we are approaching this from fundamentally different directions and hitting different natural conclusions. We'd have to dig a lot deeper to really discuss it, and I don't think a forum is the proper, err, forum for that.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2010, 11:10:41 pm »
The assumption that humans are not a part of nature requires asserting that we're special.  We're not.  We're assholes and we fuck lots of shit up, but that doesn't mean we aren't part of nature.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2010, 11:51:48 pm »
The way I see it, we are approaching this from fundamentally different directions and hitting different natural conclusions.
But then again, I don't think there are any "natural conclusions" being hit.  So there.

Anyway, there was a video I watched a while back where a guy explained (rather well) how everything is natural...I've been trying to find it, but I can't :(
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 11:57:20 pm by rabbit »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2010, 12:04:30 am »
I'm pretty sure I heard TJ (The Amazing Atheist) make this argument.  I think I've thought the same thing for a long time, but his video certainly reinforced my beliefs.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2010, 07:05:05 am »
I'm pretty sure I heard TJ (The Amazing Atheist) make this argument.
That's the video I'm thinking of :O

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2010, 08:52:59 am »
The assumption that humans are not a part of nature requires asserting that we're special.  We're not.  We're assholes and we fuck lots of shit up, but that doesn't mean we aren't part of nature.
I'm not sure which post you're replying to, but that doesn't appear to bear any relationship to the post right above it...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2010, 10:55:16 am »
I'm not sure which post you're replying to, but that doesn't appear to bear any relationship to the post right above it...

read fail? :)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2010, 12:00:25 pm »
The way I see it, we are approaching this from fundamentally different directions and hitting different natural conclusions.
But then again, I don't think there are any "natural conclusions" being hit.  So there.

Anyway, there was a video I watched a while back where a guy explained (rather well) how everything is natural...I've been trying to find it, but I can't :(

It's true. Everything is natural. Earth is 4 billion years old. 2 billion years ago, there was no life. Earth was just a molten rock without any significant atmosphere, oxygen, water, etc. At one point, we didn't even have a magnetic field. This snapshot of the Earth in the first half of its lifespan, without life, shows that it was a much worse place then than it is now that we have life and humans.

It was life that turned the Earth from a molten rock to a green paradise. It was life that led to humans. You can't take any process in motion without all of its consequences.

The way I see it, we are approaching this from fundamentally different directions and hitting different natural conclusions. We'd have to dig a lot deeper to really discuss it, and I don't think a forum is the proper, err, forum for that.

Why is this not the proper medium for this discussion? On a contrary it seems like a very effective medium for this discussion.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:02:15 pm by Ender »

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2010, 03:29:04 pm »
Ok so everything humans do is natural. Some guy made human cheese, so now human cheese is natural right?
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2010, 01:49:36 pm »
Ok so everything humans do is natural. Some guy made human cheese, so now human cheese is natural right?

Yes.  That doesn't mean I can't think it's gross, though.

I'd actually be interested in trying it.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2010, 04:58:00 pm »

Why is this not the proper medium for this discussion? On a contrary it seems like a very effective medium for this discussion.

Because it's large and complicated and you could probably write books on the subject. Forums give information in short snippits, pretty much always end up off topic, and rarely follow logical debate patterns.

Offline rabbit

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2010, 01:04:19 am »
Purple monkey dishwasher.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2010, 02:59:00 am »
I don't think so, honestly.  I don't think the subject is that complex.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2010, 02:39:32 pm »
Quote from: the Article
She speculated that much of the criticism appears to be down to "the combination of sex and cheese" clearly a taboo pairing amongst New York diners.
ROFL.
If I'm getting my milk from a human breast, I'd prefer to do the milking myself. Just saying..