Author Topic: Health Care Reform  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
Health Care Reform
« on: March 25, 2010, 03:25:40 pm »
Of course everyone knows the bill passed. What are your thoughts on this? I personally am not very informed on the details of the bill, so I am not too qualified to state my opinion on whether it will be effective, however I do believe that insurance companies do some nasty things with health care, and I'm glad that something is being done to remedy this problem.

Also, since I don't think affording health insurance will be a problem for me personally, it doesn't have any bad impact on my life. It can only do good, and in the worst case scenario it is ineffective but it does nothing to really affect me. On the chance that it will be effective, I support it.

That's my reasoning/opinion, what's yours?

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Health Care Reform
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 08:01:32 pm »
Even those who are familiar with the ~2,000 page bill in its entirety can't predict the long term impact of the bill accurately.

While I agree that Healthcare reform is necessary and our system needs fixing, I do not agree with the methods in which our Congress, both sides, approached the issue.

There were lots of good provisions in the healthcare bill that I agree with.  But there are just as many questionable ones that I oppose on ideological grounds.  There were many ideas for improving healthcare in this country that both Democrats and Republicans agreed upon, but it befuddles me why our Congress is so damn adamant on not taking an incremental approach to shaping legislation.  They just couldn't pass a bill that had the undisputed solutions to improving healthcare everyone agreed on, and then work towards building upon that framework.  The Republicans are idiots, the Democrats are idiots.

If software was produced anything like the way Congress produces legislation, this world would be in chaos.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 08:25:23 pm »
Even those who are familiar with the ~2,000 page bill in its entirety can't predict the long term impact of the bill accurately.

While I agree that Healthcare reform is necessary and our system needs fixing, I do not agree with the methods in which our Congress, both sides, approached the issue.

There were lots of good provisions in the healthcare bill that I agree with.  But there are just as many questionable ones that I oppose on ideological grounds.  There were many ideas for improving healthcare in this country that both Democrats and Republicans agreed upon, but it befuddles me why our Congress is so damn adamant on not taking an incremental approach to shaping legislation.  They just couldn't pass a bill that had the undisputed solutions to improving healthcare everyone agreed on, and then work towards building upon that framework.  The Republicans are idiots, the Democrats are idiots.

If software was produced anything like the way Congress produces legislation, this world would be in chaos.

I don't think an incremental solution is practical since it would take so much damn time and energy to implement each of these "incremental bills". If we were to do it in small steps, the resistance would mount with each small step taken. Doing it in one big step means we only have to go through this ordeal once.

Also, I don't think there are any "incremental solutions" that would not produce a lot of dispute and resistance. The radical republicans will always vote against health care reform to keep their seats.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:27:12 pm by Ender »

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 01:51:21 am »
I am really just hoping that my health insurance through whatever grad school I go to isn't taxed. And if it is, I hope it's not excessive. They don't pay graduate students much, and I really don't want to pay even more in taxes.

I have my doubts at how effective this will be. It'll make it illegal for people not to have health insurance, but there's an exemption for those who can't afford it. It seems to be contradictory... everyone is supposed to have insurance. That said, I haven't been able to follow the bill and I'm not really sure what all is in it.
errr... something like that...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 08:31:12 am »
It is, and it is. :)

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 02:49:02 pm »

There were lots of good provisions in the healthcare bill that I agree with.  But there are just as many questionable ones that I oppose on ideological grounds.  There were many ideas for improving healthcare in this country that both Democrats and Republicans agreed upon, but it befuddles me why our Congress is so damn adamant on not taking an incremental approach to shaping legislation.  They just couldn't pass a bill that had the undisputed solutions to improving healthcare everyone agreed on, and then work towards building upon that framework.  The Republicans are idiots, the Democrats are idiots.

I don't think an incremental solution is practical since it would take so much damn time and energy to implement each of these "incremental bills". If we were to do it in small steps, the resistance would mount with each small step taken. Doing it in one big step means we only have to go through this ordeal once.

Also, I don't think there are any "incremental solutions" that would not produce a lot of dispute and resistance. The radical republicans will always vote against health care reform to keep their seats.

While you may be correct that in such incremental solutions, one controversial part of the legislation would simply replace another and result in resistance and ordeal with the only difference being one issue replacing another... I do think that there are many parts of the bill that would largely have bipartisan support had they all been grouped together with the most controversial issues left out... and would not have received as much resistance AND could be passed via traditional, less shady, means (i.e. not through the process of Reconciliation).

You do realize though, that the reason this bill passed is because Democrats did eventually, at least partially, take the "incremental solution" approach I advocate?  This bill is just a bigger, less granular "incremental solution" to the bigger solution that the hardcore liberals want -> single payer system.  It was a compromise within their own party, but a compromise nonetheless.   I just wish they had taken the high road and gone more granular, and if they had, and the Republicans still behave as the party of "No" I think they would have garnered even more support from independents.  There are benefits in the bill that will be enacted this year, immediately, and had the Democrats not wasted so much effort trying to pass a bill with a government option for almost a year, we could have reaped such benefits like the ability to keep dependents on their plan up to 26 y/o sooner I think.

Don't get me wrong, the Republicans get my disdain even more, they had 8 years to pass bipartisan healthcare reform and even smaller solutions to health care reform that may be less drastic but still improve our costly system.  Ironically, the Republicans used a healthcare bill with a government mandate to counter Hillarycare back in 1994.  My disdain is bipartisan.

Only time will tell.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org