Author Topic: OkCupid's gay vs straight stats  (Read 3362 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
OkCupid's gay vs straight stats
« on: October 13, 2010, 04:51:43 pm »
http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/gay-sex-vs-straight-sex/

Very cool. I especially like the map they did that proves that Canada is far gayer than any place in the US. :)

(Naturally, I expect the stats to be more about places where people are willing to admit that they're gay, not so much places where people ARE gay.. the distribution should be roughly even, in reality).

It's also interesting that 12% of guys (44% of girls) have either enjoyed a homosexual encounter or want to have one. That is good evidence that the 10% rate of homosexuality is a good starting point.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: OkCupid's gay vs straight stats
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 05:41:23 pm »
Nah man... we just put all of the gays in the same city.  San Francisco is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much gayer than Canada.

I think this data is pretty questionable... why the fuck is OREGON the gayest state?  Common now.

I really like these OKC reports, though.  Really interesting.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 07:52:48 pm »
Nah man... we just put all of the gays in the same city.  San Francisco is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much gayer than Canada.
Yeah, but one city just doesn't compare to the whole country! :P

I think this data is pretty questionable... why the fuck is OREGON the gayest state?  Common now.
Have you SEEN Brokeback Mountain? The rocky mountains might as well be giant penises!

But seriously, the data is what it is. Oregon has the highest number of gay people looking for partners on okcupid. Why? Who knows? But other places, especially the "south", look the way you'd expect.

I really like these OKC reports, though.  Really interesting.
I agree, they have some really cool graphs/stats. :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 08:58:20 pm »
Yeah, but one city just doesn't compare to the whole country! :P

Dude, San Francisco has enough gay to make up for it.  TRUST ME.

Have you SEEN Brokeback Mountain? The rocky mountains might as well be giant penises!

But seriously, the data is what it is. Oregon has the highest number of gay people looking for partners on okcupid. Why? Who knows? But other places, especially the "south", look the way you'd expect.

I know the data "is what it is" -- that's why I'm suspicious.  I'm not saying it's all wrong, I just think there's possibly something else at work, and it makes me a little hesitant to trust it as an accurate "gay map". ;P

Offline while1

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 08:18:50 am »

It proved my gut all along, Canada is a gay place to live.
I tend to edit my topics and replies frequently.

http://www.operationsmile.org

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 08:54:39 am »
By the way, what are the two dark red spots in the south-west? They look like Arizona?

The stats for Canada are also sketchy because they do it per-province, not per-city/county/whatever. It's odd that Manitoba (where I live) is the darkest of all of them, but I'm okay with that :D

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 08:55:39 am »
You're so gay, they highlighted it further!  ;)
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 01:54:05 pm »
By the way, what are the two dark red spots in the south-west? They look like Arizona?

The stats for Canada are also sketchy because they do it per-province, not per-city/county/whatever. It's odd that Manitoba (where I live) is the darkest of all of them, but I'm okay with that :D

yeah, those are AZ.  the dark spots to the northwest of those are Vegas, I think.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 12:22:45 am »
Why is NM so gay?  Weird.  Its just a bunch of illegals there.