Announcements > [x86] Announcements

Downtime tonight

<< < (3/4) > >>

Sidoh:

--- Quote from: iago on October 11, 2010, 06:15:32 pm ---
--- Quote from: Sidoh on October 11, 2010, 03:03:16 pm ---what'd you do? >: (

--- End quote ---
In terms of security features, I enabled suPHP. It basically runs PHP through CGI, and runs the scripts as the other rather than as the apache user. So if somebody compromises one site, they don't automatically get access to others.

--- End quote ---

Ah, yeah.  That's kind of what I figured.  The host I used to be with did that, and it seemed to cause all sorts of performance issues.  Of course, you're not hosting dozens of people on your box, so I'm sure it doesn't matter.  Just a story. :)

--- Quote from: Sidoh on October 11, 2010, 03:03:16 pm ---You totally fucked up my signature, though.  THANKS A LOT!

--- End quote ---
Hmm, that's interesting considering I didn't modify SMF at all. It must be Apache or MySQL doing something different. Is that a unicode/utf8 problem?

--- End quote ---

Yeah -- it's almost definitely an encoding problem.  I'd imagine that it was some sort of unicode.

iago:

--- Quote from: Sidoh on October 11, 2010, 09:24:19 pm ---
--- Quote from: Sidoh on October 11, 2010, 03:03:16 pm ---what'd you do? >: (

--- End quote ---
In terms of security features, I enabled suPHP. It basically runs PHP through CGI, and runs the scripts as the other rather than as the apache user. So if somebody compromises one site, they don't automatically get access to others.

--- End quote ---

Ah, yeah.  That's kind of what I figured.  The host I used to be with did that, and it seemed to cause all sorts of performance issues.  Of course, you're not hosting dozens of people on your box, so I'm sure it doesn't matter.  Just a story. :)

--- End quote ---
When I enabled it before, it caused issues on the higher traffic sites, so I only enabled it on the smaller ones. This time, I enabled it on everything except skullsecurity.org, because that's the one that gets Slashdotted on occasion. :)

It is significantly worse than straight php, though, because everything goes through cgi which is ass slow.

--- Quote from: Sidoh on October 11, 2010, 09:24:19 pm ---
--- Quote from: Sidoh on October 11, 2010, 03:03:16 pm ---You totally fucked up my signature, though.  THANKS A LOT!

--- End quote ---
Hmm, that's interesting considering I didn't modify SMF at all. It must be Apache or MySQL doing something different. Is that a unicode/utf8 problem?

--- End quote ---

Yeah -- it's almost definitely an encoding problem.  I'd imagine that it was some sort of unicode.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, dunno. If you edit the signature, can you put the characters back?

I don't know if it's Apache, MySQL, the OS, SMF, or something else breaking it, and I'm not sure how I'd troubleshoot that.

Sidoh:
Haha, I don't care man.  I had to search pretty hard for something to bitch about.

grats on the new hardware :)

iago:

--- Quote from: Sidoh on October 11, 2010, 11:24:19 pm ---Haha, I don't care man.  I had to search pretty hard for something to bitch about.

--- End quote ---
It's still gonna bug me. :P

--- Quote from: Sidoh on October 11, 2010, 11:24:19 pm ---grats on the new hardware :)

--- End quote ---
Thanks! :)

Sidoh:
Weird... it's like you don't support Unicode anymore or something!  I re-entered both my title and Alfr?d R?nyi (supposed to appear this way: http://grab.by/6RWV), and neither are showing up correctly.  Non-ASCII characters are replaced with '?'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version