Author Topic: When you're in prison...  (Read 3471 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
When you're in prison...
« on: October 16, 2010, 10:11:42 am »
When you're in prison, don't turn the other way
Keep your back against the wall
When you're in prison, don't turn the other way
Do not bend at all

.. err, sorry, that's an Offspring song. What I really meant to post was this:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=136858

A really interesting read, written by somebody who was in prison for two years for armed robbery. It's about his experiences, the drugs, the killing, and all the other crap that went down. I'd take the whole thing with a grain of salt, because it was originally posted on 99chan, but it's still a great read.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: When you're in prison...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 01:18:17 pm »
Didn't know you visited TL :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 04:14:04 pm »
Interesting read.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 06:29:33 pm »
I don't, it was on boingboing. I'm not sure what teamliquid is, in fact.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 02:52:06 am »
I found this really interesting.  Especially the bit about the white prison guards, and being drug out to see his parents when he was high.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 09:47:30 am »
Taken with a grain of salt...still sounds rough.  I still resent the local county detention center inmates I visited in 4th grade.  They had cable and everything you could want (in jail).  I didnt have all of that shit growing up.  Fuck it.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 10:22:30 am »
The thing is, prisons are *supposed* to rehabilitate people. A lot of people think prisons exist for punishment, but punishment is only an effective way of teaching people not to get caught. Some people think prisons are simply to keep dangerous people off the streets, but if that's the case then they should all be killed (I don't believe that, obviously, but it's the logical followup to keeping people off the streets).

By the sounds of this, and stories I've heard from my uncle (who's a prison guard) and other places, it sounds like prisons make no attempt whatsoever to rehabilitate. In fact, the people who come out seem worse off than when they went in, and *more* likely to commit a violent crime or hurt people. That's an epic failure of the prison system, IMO.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 02:17:58 pm »
I don't, it was on boingboing. I'm not sure what teamliquid is, in fact.

Lame.  TL is all about SC and SC2.  Mostly the professional scene.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 02:36:41 pm »
In fact, the people who come out seem worse off than when they went in, and *more* likely to commit a violent crime or hurt people. That's an epic failure of the prison system, IMO.

Why leave a good thing? They get fed, they get exercise, they get a nice little home... when they're back on the streets, what do they do? Go right back to comfort.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 11:48:59 pm »
In fact, the people who come out seem worse off than when they went in, and *more* likely to commit a violent crime or hurt people. That's an epic failure of the prison system, IMO.

Why leave a good thing? They get fed, they get exercise, they get a nice little home... when they're back on the streets, what do they do? Go right back to comfort.
newby, you're stupid sometimes
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 04:53:00 pm »
The thing is, prisons are *supposed* to rehabilitate people. A lot of people think prisons exist for punishment, but punishment is only an effective way of teaching people not to get caught. Some people think prisons are simply to keep dangerous people off the streets, but if that's the case then they should all be killed (I don't believe that, obviously, but it's the logical followup to keeping people off the streets).

By the sounds of this, and stories I've heard from my uncle (who's a prison guard) and other places, it sounds like prisons make no attempt whatsoever to rehabilitate. In fact, the people who come out seem worse off than when they went in, and *more* likely to commit a violent crime or hurt people. That's an epic failure of the prison system, IMO.

I agree that prisons should be rehab facilities in that they teach inmates marketable skills.  But at the same time, the life one leads in prison should be hell on earth.  So rehab + punishment=learn how to do something (that is hard to translate into another crime), and have them lead a rather shitty life inside as punishment for being a douche to society.  Best of both worlds.