Author Topic: Who is attacking?  (Read 9416 times)

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
Who is attacking?
« on: December 08, 2010, 01:34:58 am »
The news keeps mentioning DDoS attacks against wikileaks and I've read that there are attacks against PayPal now ...
Has anybody taken the time to figure out who?  Who is orchestrating these attacks from both sides?  Isn't anybody else curious? 

Screw the documents, I'm curious about the attackers.  This isn't your typical anti-Microsoft or anti-copyright case ... this is some political crap.  Who in the heck pulls off attacks like this for crap like that?
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Who is attacking?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 08:27:40 am »
The GOVTs of the world.  World Govts v. citizens is the situation.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 08:42:22 am »
Some random guy, most likely. It only takes one person to DDoS, and there's no way it's government.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 09:24:08 am »
Why?  They have made up false rape charges, and now the US govt is looking to charge Assange with anything it can think of.  Why wouldnt the govt try?  wikileaks.org is completely gone.

Informed citizens are opponents of govt.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 09:33:15 am »
Because a DDoS is temporary and incomplete. In other words, a total waste of time. Additionally, a DDoS requires a large network of bot-infected machines to be effective, and it isn't that likely that the government is putting malware on people's computers.

The thing about a DDoS is that any idiot with a botnet can do one, and they often get cited as proof of Internet warfare. And that's just crap, IMO. It always ends up being some guy in his basement with too much free time on his hands.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 09:35:06 am by iago »

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 10:04:50 am »
How would the govts of the world combat wikileaks?

Why wouldnt the CIA or some black govt entity operate like they were "regular citizens."  Create themselves some of that thar "plausible deniability."
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 10:06:30 am by CrAz3D »

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 10:56:39 am »
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20024966-38.html

This might answer some questions you have.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline truste1

• I haven't visited my profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 11:06:23 am »

Pressuring all avenues of capital infusion to disassociate with the website. Essentially the equivalent of blockading a port.
Ain't Life Grand?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 11:20:32 am »

Pressuring all avenues of capital infusion to disassociate with the website. Essentially the equivalent of blockading a port.
Exactly. So far, they've been abandoned by their DNS providers, Paypal, Amazon, Mastercard, and many other services. Basically, the government is trying to make it impossible for the site to continue.

The favourite thing I read is how hate groups like KKK use Paypal and Mastercard without an issue, but a site that's ostensibly helping people, and that hasn't caused any harm to anybody but has made the government accountable for their actions, is being attacked from all sides.

I find it funny that this is the ultimate government transparency. The government is *supposed* to answer to the people.. finally, it does, and they hate it. :)

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 12:02:28 pm »
The government doesn't need to DDoS ... it can do much more and more effectively.  Look at China, it doesn't DDoS everyone it disagrees with ... it just controls the Internet content.  The US could do much more than China, like weigh in on registrars to turn off service for the domain names.  However, it didn't and it's also not pursuing extradition of Assange from UK. I think Assange has a chance of getting off scot-free.

Of course, CIA might not see to it.  I read that a nuclear physicist Mordechai Vanunu ran off to Italy and was lured and kidnapped by an undercover Mossad agent and returned back to Israel.  Who is to say the CIA wouldn't do something similar?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 12:10:56 pm »
Despite what the media says, Assange has been completely forthright dealing with the police, and hasn't been "hiding". It's not like he got raided or anything to get arrested, he voluntarily went to the police station.

And yeah, in the US he hasn't broken any laws, which is what's causing the problems. The US was founded on the same principles that Assange is supporting, and the modern government doesn't like that.

Another good quote, "Palin demands that Assange be hunted down like Al Qaeda, so he should be fine for at least 10 years"

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 04:03:02 pm »

Exactly. So far, they've been abandoned by their DNS providers, Paypal, Amazon, Mastercard, and many other services. Basically, the government is trying to make it impossible for the site to continue.

The favourite thing I read is how hate groups like KKK use Paypal and Mastercard without an issue, but a site that's ostensibly helping people, and that hasn't caused any harm to anybody but has made the government accountable for their actions, is being attacked from all sides.

I find it funny that this is the ultimate government transparency. The government is *supposed* to answer to the people.. finally, it does, and they hate it. :)

Did the government do that or did these providers get cold feet?  I think the latter.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 04:08:17 pm »
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20024966-38.html

This might answer some questions you have.

ya know, maybe I _SHOULD_ just pull out all my cash, buy bullets and whiskey and go under ground. sheesh.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 04:29:32 pm »

Did the government do that or did these providers get cold feet?  I think the latter.
I'm going to go with both. But I don't think we'll ever know..

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 04:51:52 pm »

I'm going to go with both. But I don't think we'll ever know..

Like I said, if the US really wanted to stop Wikileaks, I believe it really could.  I'm just not seeing any evidence that the US has done anything yet.  The US Government is probably still brainstorming possible courses of action.  If these documents really are a matter of national security, I'd imagine they'd have the authorization to take whatever action they needed under The Patriot Act and/or similar laws.

On the other hand, Paypal cites it's own acceptable use policy (the legality criteria).  However, if Wikileaks hasn't broken any laws then Paypal was wrong to close their account.  This is odd since it would be in their best interest to leave the Wikileaks account active ... especially now.  I think Paypal is just fearful of potential consequences of providing services to Wikileaks.