Author Topic: Theoretically longest sentence  (Read 7160 times)

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretically longest sentence
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 09:50:23 pm »
When I wrote this question, I was thinking of non-trivial sentences, but unfortunately, I can't really define what non-trivial means, and although there is a book that is entirely one sentence with 400,000 words, I was certain that grammar prohibited infinite ramblings since it provides the framework with which to convey thoughts, since most people have structured thought, not endless ramblings.

I mean, an infinite sentence to me is like a persistent thought on one subject, like imagine thinking about a dog at every minute, of every hour, of every day, of every year, for the rest of your life, you think about that very dog uninterrupted in an infinite sentence, and that's not really practical except by way of subtle technicalities that permit it to exist in books that are a single sentence composed of 400,000 words.

FTFY.

That's comma splicing.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 09:54:28 pm »
It's only comma splicing if I don't connect them properly, I think. I added conjunctions so I think it works. *shrug*
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 10:00:02 pm »
It's only comma splicing if I don't connect them properly, I think. I added conjunctions so I think it works. *shrug*

Ok, but you understand what I'm trying to convey right? Or do you want to contradict me some more?

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 12:46:52 am »

Ok, but you understand what I'm trying to convey right? Or do you want to contradict me some more?

No, I absolutely don't understand what you're trying to convey. I'm not trying to contradict you. I'm not a language major. I went to wikipedia to look up comma splicing and it described that comma splicing is not what I did, so I decided to ask you about it.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 01:20:45 am »

No, I absolutely don't understand what you're trying to convey. I'm not trying to contradict you. I'm not a language major. I went to wikipedia to look up comma splicing and it described that comma splicing is not what I did, so I decided to ask you about it.
I'm not a language major either. I just can't imagine anyone writing one extremely long sentence, especially one as long as a book. The fact that you can make extremely long sentences through lists, redundancies, etc... doesn't necessarily mean people will. I guess this is more a question about an average length instead of a longest length because that's obviously unbounded.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 10:38:00 am »
It sounds like you're trying to find a non-existent answer to a poorly defined problem. :)