Author Topic: One space or two spaces after a period?  (Read 11270 times)

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: One space or two spaces after a period?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 05:52:18 pm »
MLA and CMS disagree with you. APA is the only style guide I've seen that advocates the archaic method of 2 spaces after a period.
Since I did all of my college writing in APA, I guess that makes sense, then.  :)
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 07:21:18 pm »
It really doesn't matter to me.  I've never stopped and criticized someone's post/blog/paper/etc. for using differing conventions. A lot of time it's not even that noticeable.

What about indentation vs. an extra blank line for new paragraphs?
errr... something like that...

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 07:23:23 pm »
"archaic"?  I don't think that's a good word for this situation.

I use two.  The choice is completely arbitrary, and there are advantages to both ways.
From my understanding, two spaces after a period spawned from the typewriter generation. The monospaced font used was not very clear in what was a broad space (eg those found at the end of sentences) and a regular space, so two spaces were adopted for ease-of-reading. In the modern day, it's font-face dependent. Most fonts that people use on a day-to-day basis don't need to be adjusted.

And, of course, the typewriter generation taught OUR generation how to use computers/write, so they passed down the legacy of double-spacing.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 07:34:11 pm »
"archaic"?  I don't think that's a good word for this situation.

I use two.  The choice is completely arbitrary, and there are advantages to both ways.
From my understanding, two spaces after a period spawned from the typewriter generation. The monospaced font used was not very clear in what was a broad space (eg those found at the end of sentences) and a regular space, so two spaces were adopted for ease-of-reading. In the modern day, it's font-face dependent. Most fonts that people use on a day-to-day basis don't need to be adjusted.

And, of course, the typewriter generation taught OUR generation how to use computers/write, so they passed down the legacy of double-spacing.

So.. what you're saying is that the single space is older?  'archaic' isn't the right word!  :P
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Ender

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 07:35:26 pm »
I always do one space.

It's interesting to note that the concept of a single unit of whitespace (colloquially, a "space") doesn't make any sense in a hand-written letter. Thus, whatever standards exist for this issue are pretty "young" so to speak - much more recent than other standards pertaining to writing. So perhaps it's understandable there isn't a wide consensus on this issue.

Also: this thread deserves a poll.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 07:39:29 pm by Ender »

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 08:10:40 pm »
While units of space don't make sense, the size of a space does exist in writing (indentations, for example, have to be of a noticeable size).  You can translate that to amount of spaces quite easily.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 10:40:37 pm »
So.. what you're saying is that the single space is older?  'archaic' isn't the right word!  :P
Age does not correlate to relevance. From dictionary.com (I'm sure the OED has a similar definiton, I'm too lazy to look it up there though):
marked by the characteristics of an earlier period; antiquated: an archaic manner; an archaic notion.
The use of double spaces in regular typeset is due largely to the use of double spaces in monotype. Since 99% of text is not monotype, I say that double-spacing is archaic.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 08:44:02 am »
It really doesn't matter to me.  I've never stopped and criticized someone's post/blog/paper/etc. for using differing conventions. A lot of time it's not even that noticeable.
You've clearly never been an editor. :)

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 11:27:20 am »
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 11:29:02 am by Rule »

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 11:40:47 am »
The use of double spaces in regular typeset is due largely to the use of double spaces in monotype. Since 99% of text is not monotype, I say that double-spacing is archaic.
I disagree.  I find the extra space, even in situations in which I'm typing or reading in an adaptively-spaced font, to make it easier to find the ends of sentences and such.  It provides an extra visual clue to your brain even if you're not cognitively aware of it.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 01:48:14 pm »

That is where I am coming from.  I read an OPED in Texas Tech's student paper where some pretentious douche was whining about this shit, so I decided to post this to my more educated forum people.  And honestly, I'm 24 and learned to type on a typewriter...not a computer...like a fucking mechanical non-electric typewriter.

I noticed in my case books that the authors only have one space between sentences.  Also, recent Supreme Court decisions use only one space.  I guess I should attempt to switch.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 02:33:14 pm »
I disagree.  I find the extra space, even in situations in which I'm typing or reading in an adaptively-spaced font, to make it easier to find the ends of sentences and such.  It provides an extra visual clue to your brain even if you're not cognitively aware of it.
I'd say it depends on the medium you are reading. If I'm reading printed things, it makes no difference or the two spaces are sometimes enough to actually slightly disrupt my reading flow. I'm reading x86 on a screen that's ~20" wide. There double spaces makes a slight difference, but I still see it "sticking out" like a sore thumb. Fonts are typically autokerned now to make a single space after a period appear larger, anyway.

That is where I am coming from.  I read an OPED in Texas Tech's student paper where some pretentious douche was whining about this shit, so I decided to post this to my more educated forum people.  And honestly, I'm 24 and learned to type on a typewriter...not a computer...like a fucking mechanical non-electric typewriter.

I noticed in my case books that the authors only have one space between sentences.  Also, recent Supreme Court decisions use only one space.  I guess I should attempt to switch.
A link to that oped would be for the lulz. College op-eds are a true societal gem.

It really depends. Most law style guides I've seen say to single space, but YMMV.

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 02:20:27 pm »
ah!  this "issue" has come up in a group project.  2 of us are from the law school (where it just depends on who you work for whether 1 or 2 spaces), and one is from main campus (we're all in a personal financial planning class), and she is used to 1 space.

I've decided that since I'm basically leading the project, we will use 2 spaces, so I'm going back through everything and adding spaces.  sigh,

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 05:46:45 pm »
I'd replace all ".{space}" with ".{space}{space" and then replace all "{space}{space}{space}" with "{space}{space}"