Author Topic: Will you be raptured (flow chart)?  (Read 2996 times)

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
Will you be raptured (flow chart)?
« on: May 22, 2011, 12:22:32 am »
Found a link to this blog on some news site.

Here's an insensitive but very comical flow chart

Notice how it's impossible to be raptured (by that flow chart).

I think the news stations really ought to explain why numerological predictions are never accurate (except by chance). I like how Camping associates some length of time after crucifixion to [latex](5 \times 10 \times 17)^2[/latex], numbers that are artificially associated to unrelated ideas. Gee, why not [latex](5 + 10 + 17)^2[/latex] or [latex]\log(5 \times 10 \times 17)[/latex]. The Mayan Calendar doomsday is another example loosely associated to numerology (base 20 digits flipping over in their calendar system).

I think news stations should provide a bogus-prediction check list for those gullible who ruined their lives because of Camping's prediction. They should also describe what a well founded prediction is and maybe a check list for that too.

Sure, free speech and all that junk ... but I'd say Camping abused his position as a public figure and should be held accountable somehow.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: Will you be raptured (flow chart)?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 02:25:30 am »
I think the news stations really ought to explain why numerological predictions are never accurate (except by chance). I like how Camping associates some length of time after crucifixion to [latex](5 \times 10 \times 17)^2[/latex], numbers that are artificially associated to unrelated ideas. Gee, why not [latex](5 + 10 + 17)^2[/latex] or [latex]\log(5 \times 10 \times 17)[/latex]. The Mayan Calendar doomsday is another example loosely associated to numerology (base 20 digits flipping over in their calendar system).
Where the fuck do you live where news stations even understand that nonsensical thing that looks like mathematics? Sure as shit is not the grand ol U S of A..
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 05:57:41 am »
I actually got pretty far. Good thing my brother hasn't died, cause anyone who'd marry him is pretty low..
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 09:52:12 am »
Funny, but the grammar/spelling mistakes make me crazy. Tell this guy to put a little effort into his jokes! :P

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 11:10:46 am »
Funny, but the grammar/spelling mistakes make me crazy. Tell this guy to put a little effort into his jokes! :P

Did you just proclaim the almighty Lord's will needs more effort!?  That'll cost you a rapture!
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 07:09:44 pm »
Where the fuck do you live where news stations even understand that nonsensical thing that looks like mathematics? Sure as shit is not the grand ol U S of A..

Yeah, that's true. This guy persuaded people with middle school math and they didn't know any better.

Here is his "infallible proof":
http://www.familyradio.com/graphical/literature/proof/proof.html

This is complete abuse of mathematics!

I still think that the news can make a very simple check list to help people determine if predictions, or claims of any sort, are untrustworthy.

Maybe a K-12 course could be, "Intellectual Defense," with intent to teach the thought processes for detecting fraud, hoaxes, cons, ulterior motives, etc... I guess it would be something like, "Critical Thinking," but specialized for this aspect. It could certainly be a useful skill for children to avoid pedophiles all the way to avoiding malware to dangerous loans to dangerous cults and number play in doomsday predictions in their adult life.
An adorable giant isopod!