Author Topic: The "sissy boy" experiments  (Read 11365 times)

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
Re: The "sissy boy" experiments
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 05:06:39 pm »
Anderson Cooper was just upset that he didn't get that treatment when he was young.
?

Another way to look at it is this: typical straight men are in constant fear of people questioning their sexuality.

A bit of a stretch...  now and then it enters my mind, but it's not an everyday fear.  For some people it might be.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 05:40:24 pm »
Let's mix things up.

My mother is a heterosexual woman. As a child, she enjoyed playing with blocks instead of dolls. In fact, she used to build very elaborate structures with blocks and upon completion, the boys would tattle on her and she would be made to play with dolls (very screwed up era). Amusing that the boys would use her for her creativity!

Her masculine tendencies did not accurately predict her sexuality.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 05:45:54 pm »
Let's mix things up.

My mother is a heterosexual woman. As a child, she enjoyed playing with blocks instead of dolls. In fact, she used to build very elaborate structures with blocks and upon completion, the boys would tattle on her and she would be made to play with dolls (very screwed up era). Amusing that the boys would use her for her creativity!

I know a guy who smoked, and lived to 98 years old. Therefore, smoking doesn't kill.

And what I mean by that is, despite what Mythbusters thinks, you can't use a single datapoint to prove or disprove an argument. And it's not black and white - it never is - just that there's a tendency or a correlation.

Offline nslay

• Giraffe meat, mmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 05:59:15 pm »
Let's mix things up.

I know a guy who smoked, and lived to 98 years old. Therefore, smoking doesn't kill.

And what I mean by that is, despite what Mythbusters thinks, you can't use a single datapoint to prove or disprove an argument. And it's not black and white - it never is - just that there's a tendency or a correlation.

Just pointing out another example.
An adorable giant isopod!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 06:29:47 pm »
Let's mix things up.

Just pointing out another example.
True, and I completely agree - it isn't a 100% deciding factor. But I would still argue that there's a correlation, even a strong one.

What Rule said about gay people intentionally acting more effeminate is also a factor, I think. But like all these examples, they don't really apply to 5 year olds.

What we need is some actual research. I'm leaving for San Francisco for 11 days pretty soon, and I plan to study the local gay population. I'll let you know if I discover anything!

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 09:21:21 pm »
What we need is some actual research. I'm leaving for San Francisco for 11 days pretty soon, and I plan to study the local gay population. I'll let you know if I discover anything!

That's a rather large sample size.  Good luck with that. :)
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 09:27:00 pm »
I once used an anecdote as evidence to support a true claim.

So using anecdotes is fine. no worries.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 10:14:00 pm »
I once used an anecdote as evidence to support a true claim.

So using anecdotes is fine. no worries.
Correlated events tend to be causal. Therefore, correlation IS causation!

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 10:24:01 pm »
This thread makes me remember:

2 plus 2 is four.
2 plus 2 is four.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QamU4-8NUw

I don't know why.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine