Author Topic: Mangix > Joe?  (Read 11022 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Mangix > Joe?
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2005, 09:51:34 pm »
Also, I prefer debugging with gdb, which is a separate program, to using an IDE debugger.

Yes, but a good IDE will allow you to use gdb as a plugin, or whatever you want to call it, would it not?

Yeah, but then you aren't interacting directly with the debugger, you're using a layer of abstraction.  Which might be ok, but I like directly using the debugger.

Offline Tuberload

• Neophyte
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2005, 12:50:33 am »
Yeah, but then you aren't interacting directly with the debugger, you're using a layer of abstraction.  Which might be ok, but I like directly using the debugger.

True, but it is still a feature of a good IDE illiminating the need to use a possible built in debugger that the IDE may contain. A layer of abstraction could be a GUI could it not? You now have to push buttons and check check boxes instead of typing out a complicated command on a command prompt (or *nix equivilant). Wether this is beneficial to you or not is not up to me to decide, but it is still beneficial to someone.

--

Combine that with all of the other beneficial features present in IDE's that promote speed, efficiancy, clarity, yada, yada. I do not see how an IDE is for "newbs".
I am prepared to be ridiculed for what I believe, are you?

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2005, 01:09:16 am »
* Joe[x86] salutes Tuberload with respect.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2005, 02:43:54 am »
In PHP for example, I live NotePad2

It bolds the brackes as you mouse over them so you can see which ones relate to which.
Good if you have a ~200 line function and are getting confused while closing.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2005, 08:29:07 am »
I use notepad2 for PHP, X/HTML, CSS, C, C++, and English papers.  It's versatile!

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2005, 08:44:58 am »
I use it for php, css, html, and any file that doesn't have a deault program to open with.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2005, 09:10:14 am »
Tuberload - "complicated commands"?  I don't think "b" for break is complicated, or "bm" for break on memory, or "step" to step, or "go" to go, or "trace" to trace, or "view" to view, and so on.  There's nothing complicated for somebody who's willing to learn it.  Anyway, the option is there.  I have nothing against gui-based ones, I just happen to like my console one.  Both are good. 

Warrior - 2 things.  Your brackets should line up with each other, so it's easy to match them up, and if a function is so long you get brackets mixed up then you can probably break it into sub-functions.  If it is difficult for an average programmer to trace out a function, then your function is too complicated.  That's a good rule of thumb. 

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2005, 10:07:04 am »
They do but since my code is tabbed sometimes when I'm reclosing I have to make it go back to the starting point.
I just get confuse *cry*
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Tuberload

• Neophyte
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2005, 09:07:59 pm »
Tuberload - "complicated commands"?  I don't think "b" for break is complicated, or "bm" for break on memory, or "step" to step, or "go" to go, or "trace" to trace, or "view" to view, and so on.  There's nothing complicated for somebody who's willing to learn it.  Anyway, the option is there.  I have nothing against gui-based ones, I just happen to like my console one.  Both are good. 

The whole point of what I said just established the fact that some people would like to take less time and click a ceck box or a button then hit debug instead of typing out a long command line and that does not make them "newbs"... You said yourself you like IDE's due to the fact that they make it easier for you to remember methods and such because you can't remember and have to look them up. Oh shit I can't remember what I have to type to get the program to do a specific thing I have to look it up. Will you please explain to me the difference? Maybe if you were willing to learn you would not need an IDE to remember all of Java's classes and methods?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2005, 09:37:57 pm »
less time and click a ceck box or a button then hit debug instead of typing out a long command line

Lies!  It's faster to do it from commandline.

There are a lot less debug commands than there are Java classes.  Or C functions. 

I'm not calling anybody a newb.  I'm fine with using a graphical debugger, I do it enough.  But I also use and like the commandline one.  They're all good.

Offline Tuberload

• Neophyte
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2005, 08:00:00 pm »
less time and click a ceck box or a button then hit debug instead of typing out a long command line

There are a lot less debug commands than there are Java classes.  Or C functions. 

I'm not calling anybody a newb.  I'm fine with using a graphical debugger, I do it enough.  But I also use and like the commandline one.  They're all good.

Agreed on everything but; if you saved the setting for the debugger command and then hotkeyed the debugger I think it would be faster than typing it out, would it not?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2005, 07:50:06 am »

Agreed on everything but; if you saved the setting for the debugger command and then hotkeyed the debugger I think it would be faster than typing it out, would it not?

In keeping with the UNIX tradition, most commands are 1 or 2 characters long.  It's faster for me to type, say, "go<enter>" than to hit F9 because my fingers never have to leave home row. :)