Author Topic: There is a non-physical entity (a soul) in all of us!  (Read 8186 times)

Offline c0n

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
Re: There is a non-physical entity (a soul) in all of us!
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2005, 02:24:51 pm »
Think about this:

If a person is made up of nothing more than atoms and electricity, then a sufficiently powerful computer could, in theory, predict what every atom and neuron in your body is going to do.  If that is true, then free will is an illusion. 

Would you rather believe:
a) that we have a non-physical part that is (and always will be) beyond the realm of science
b) that we have no free will, and everything is predetermined

I would personally prefer to believe (a).  I don't want to give up the idea that I am in control of my destiny. 

I agree. This is the type of science that is called quantum physics though, I think. I don't know much about it, but a friend I have is deep into it. Basically, quantum physics says that ANYTHING is possible. Also, anybody at any given time is both dead and alive, if you don't see them. It's quite weird stuff.

For instance, the question... "If you don't see a tree fall down, does it make a noise?" This is a quantum physics question. I know what most of you will say. Let's see what you have to answer with.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2005, 02:47:00 pm »
They are exactly identical, however, when the brain starts up each one would start gathering it's own data.
For example, person A would be standing on the left and person B would be on the right. Now the first thing person A sees is a television, and the first thing that person B sees it a radio. Person A would see person B to his left. Person B would see person A to his right. (Don't get technical with this part, it's the difference in experience that matters) As you can see they have already at this point, gathered different information. The data stored is not the same anymore. It's like with identical twins, they are both the same, but they have different experiences. To further support that, let's say person A and person B has not differed yet. They both go to a party. They would both talk to different people and gather different knowledge/information. And to answer your other question, I agree with rabbit. Person A is not connected to person B physically. So up until you provide life to person B, he will be exactly identical to person A, but person A can't control person B's limbs because person A's brain is not connected to it. Person B's brain is a copy of person A's brain, but it is now a separate entity. It's like backing up your hard drive to another hard drive. The data has been transfered, but afterwards, the connection is lost. The back up hard drive can be stuck into another identical computer, and it'll run. However, when it gets on the internet, it will have a different IP address, will it not? It will recieve attacks from different people than the original computer, and the time that it get information would not be the same a your original computer.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2005, 03:15:10 pm »
I sold my soul for a blowjob.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2005, 03:18:10 pm »
@ Ergot: What determines the events that occur in a person's life? If they are the exact same, they will (according to iago's post, if everybody is made up of atoms and neutrons then a computer could predict what we will do) experience the same events due to predestination.

Also @ identical twins, don't their fingerprints differ? In my case, every last atom and neuron is the same. Fingerprints included.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 03:22:28 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2005, 04:03:21 pm »
No, because memories are not physical. As you said, everything physical is transfered.
From what I learned in my biology class, memories are bumps and indentations on neurons in the brain, which means that memories ARE physically duplicable.  But here is where Newby's question is hazey: are all the atoms duplicated in the same order and position?  If not, then Person B would have a completely different set of memories and experiences (or lack thereof).

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2005, 04:04:27 pm »
But here is where Newby's question is hazey: are all the atoms duplicated in the same order and position?  If not, then Person B would have a completely different set of memories and experiences (or lack thereof).

Yes. It's an exact replication of person A. Nothing is different physically!
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2005, 04:57:48 pm »
But mentally. ;P
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2005, 05:01:03 pm »
How does mentally differ from physically?

If they were the same person, and we are predictable, they would hold the same thoughts at the same time.
- Newby

Offline c0n

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2005, 05:05:06 pm »
No, because memories are not physical. As you said, everything physical is transfered.
From what I learned in my biology class, memories are bumps and indentations on neurons in the brain, which means that memories ARE physically duplicable.  But here is where Newby's question is hazey: are all the atoms duplicated in the same order and position?  If not, then Person B would have a completely different set of memories and experiences (or lack thereof).

I personally don't believe that the actually bumps on the brain are the memories. I believe memories are not physical, but more metaphysical.
Btw, the answer to my question is: Yes and no. When you don't see something, it could both make a noise and not make a noise at the same time, according to quantum physics. In fact, if you don't see someone, that someone could be both dead and alive at the same time. Quantum physics is weird. If you pour a glass of orange juice, there's a chance that it's not orange juice, but the chance that it isn't orange juice is very low. Quantum physics is very confusing and very DIFFERENT than any other science.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 05:07:05 pm by c0n »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2005, 05:18:21 pm »
I'm sorry to break this to you, but you don't understand quantum physics at all, you understand the Hollywood version of quantum physics. 

Offline c0n

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2005, 05:19:28 pm »
I'm sorry to break this to you, but you don't understand quantum physics at all, you understand the Hollywood version of quantum physics. 

...didn't I tell you that I don't understand it? I said my friend understands some of it.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2005, 05:08:23 pm »

I personally don't believe that the actually bumps on the brain are the memories. I believe memories are not physical, but more metaphysical.
I don't mean the big lumps on the surface, I mean on each individual neuron (a few molecules wide, mind you), a series of bumps and dents create memory, much like a trinary system with vally, smooth, and raised as the 3 values.