Author Topic: There is a non-physical entity (a soul) in all of us!  (Read 8257 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
There is a non-physical entity (a soul) in all of us!
« on: August 26, 2005, 11:24:13 pm »
Discuss.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

trust

Re: There is a non-physical entity (a soul) in all of us!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 11:28:41 pm »
THERE BE AN INNA GANGSTA IN ALL OF WE

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 11:39:31 pm »
How can we discuss this when we don't know where the hell you're comming from?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 11:43:46 pm by MetaL MilitiA »
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 11:43:26 pm »
Ok. Let's say there is person #1.

Person #1 is put in a duplicating machine of some sorts that copies exactly every atom in the body. This output is exactly the same as person #1. However, how come he is person #2 and not person #1?

Why can't person #1 control person #2. Why can't person #1 see through person #2's eyes? What makes this person and his exact clone different people?

If every part of his physical being was copied exactly, person #2 would technically be person #1. Person #1 would be able to see through person #2's eyes and control person #2. Hell, he would be person #2.

What is different between these two people? There should be nothing different at all...

...unless there is a non-physical part of person #1 that wasn't copied at all, seeing as how if it was physical it would have been copied.

The question begs: What is that non-physical entity that was not copied, yet exists in person #1 and person #2?

I believe the answer is a soul.
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 01:08:20 am »
It's called "Person #2's eyes aren't connected to Person #1's brain".  Try reading data from iago's hard disks without being connected to him in any way.  It has nothing to do with a "spirit" or "soul", they are two disconnected entities.  Person #2 is Person #1, but #2.  It's like..if I loaded an MeBot bot as R.a.B.B.i.T in op x86, and then a MeBot as R.a.B.B.i.T#2 in Op ASODH, even though I'm using the same bot and the same username, they are seperate programs (even though they are identical), and R.a.B.B.i.T can't see what people in Op ASODH are saying, and R.a.B.B.i.T#2 can't see what people in Op x86 are saying.

Although, everyone has a soul anyways ^^

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 02:48:10 am »
But if everything is physically copied, what makes person #2 unique from person #1?
- Newby

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 03:04:22 am »
But if everything is physically copied, what makes person #2 unique from person #1?
Knowing (s)he's been cloned, and is not the original?  That always seems to effect people in movies/tv.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 03:23:56 am »
How do you know you are not a clone of somebody?

Can you prove you aren't a clone?

I know it may sound stupid, but they are the exact same people physically. However, what makes them different if every physical aspect of them is identical?
- Newby

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 03:29:27 am »
THERE BE AN INNA GANGSTA IN ALL OF WE
You are NOT BLACK.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

trust

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 03:39:24 am »
Think what you want.

Offline Vex3

• Rick James Bitch!
  • I am Agarwaen!
    • View Profile
    • Vex3 Solutions
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2005, 08:24:56 am »

I know it may sound stupid, but they are the exact same people physically. However, what makes them different if every physical aspect of them is identical?

Yes Newby,

However Physically I could be George Bush with the help of cloning. However mentally we would be different people. Life does not run on a sound track and continuosly repeat it self. What makes us different is the expierences that we encounter in our day to day life. These expierences are what shapes us as men/woman as we get older. Ex. Learning to Ride a bike, Learning to play hockey.
Wish I had more hands, give those tities four thumbs down!

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2005, 09:36:11 am »
Yes Newby,

However Physically I could be George Bush with the help of cloning. However mentally we would be different people. Life does not run on a sound track and continuosly repeat it self. What makes us different is the expierences that we encounter in our day to day life. These expierences are what shapes us as men/woman as we get older. Ex. Learning to Ride a bike, Learning to play hockey.

What are memories? If they are stored in the brain as they claim to be, wouldn't they transfer over?
- Newby

Offline c0n

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2005, 10:41:56 am »

Suddenly this turned from "There is a non-physical entity (a soul) in all of us!" to "Can you prove you are not a clone?"

Yes Newby,

What are memories? If they are stored in the brain as they claim to be, wouldn't they transfer over?

No, because memories are not physical. As you said, everything physical is transfered.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2005, 11:19:45 am »
But they are stored in a physical manner.  The type of cloning newby is talking about isn't the classic "person reborn again" cloning that we're talking about.

If an exact copy of all elementary particles were made, memories would be transferred as well.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2005, 12:09:01 pm »
Think about this:

If a person is made up of nothing more than atoms and electricity, then a sufficiently powerful computer could, in theory, predict what every atom and neuron in your body is going to do.  If that is true, then free will is an illusion. 

Would you rather believe:
a) that we have a non-physical part that is (and always will be) beyond the realm of science
b) that we have no free will, and everything is predetermined

I would personally prefer to believe (a).  I don't want to give up the idea that I am in control of my destiny.