Author Topic: School was stupid  (Read 6130 times)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
School was stupid
« on: September 08, 2005, 07:07:40 pm »
Right, so today school was stupid.  Seniors register at 3:00pm, so I got to sleep in, right?  No.  My school was retarded and made us get there by 11:30 for a retarded "Computer Training Session", which taught us all how to login to our webmail with our school logins...omg...I learned that....IN SEVENTH GRADE!  Everything else was a review of bullshit in the school handbook (nothing school unrelated, no games, blah blah).  The good news?  Well, it has nothing to do with school, so I'll get to it later.

BLARG!  3:00pm, I go in for registration.  I stand in line for 45 minutes waiting to get my ID photo taken, which takes all of FIVE SECONDS if you do it right (which, of course, nobody did).  Then I went to pick up my (2) loaned books: Physics and Computer Science.  *sigh*  The loaned Computer Science book is different from the one I actually need to have, and, quoth my teacher: "it really really really sucks...it's just so bad...".  Great....  Well, everything's done!  BUT O FUCK!!  That's not all!  My bus stop is 2 blocks away, but there's construction out front of my school so it takes longer to get there.  For those of you who don't know, my bus arrives every hour (12:12, 1:12, 2:12, etc...) supposedly.  I got out of registration at 4:11, so, yeah, I missed my bus.  JOY!  I get to wait an hour for the next one to come in the nasty bus stop.

"What about that gap from 12:00 to 3:00 though?" is probably what you're asking.  I went with my friends Jamie, Skyler, and Razler to Taco Bell in suburban, hopped over to Borders to pick up new manga/comics, then over to FYE to browse their (overpriced) selection (we bought nothing!).  After that we went over to 8th & Chestnut where there's this little game shop.  For $3 each we got to play any game they had on their plasma screen until we left.  Pwntastic!  We played Naruto 3 Import for almost 2 hours (and that game ROCKS!).  It was so badass ^^.

Anyways, school is stupid, and that store owns.  End of story.

PS: I'm on page 674 of 789, including 6 appendicies and a glossary, and have yet to learn anything new about Java.  *sigh*

[edit]
This book does suck!  It's teachings, in order, are:
Introduction to OOP
Java Syntax & Semantics (with classes)
Math operations
Selection/Encapsulation
Files
OOP Design/Implementation
Inheritance, Polymorphism, Scope
Event Driven IO
Exceptions and Control Structs
1D Arrays
Array lists
MD Arrays/Number Computating
Recursion
For-Loops (WTF?!)
Applets

It's seriously fucked up.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 07:11:06 pm by rabbit »

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: School was stupid
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 07:14:13 pm »
/trash

Awesome @ the TV.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Ryan Marcus

• Cross Platform.
  • I'm Bono.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 04:29:50 pm »
I teach a REALbasic class at my school (kinda sad, huh?) and he had a crappy text book that went somthing like this:

1. What is REALbasic
2. Example Code
3. Polymorphizim (I can't spell it.. Its where the class figures out which methods where called based on parameters...)
4. What is a class?
5. What is a module?
6. Laying out a program
7. Advance Functions
8. Ifs, Whiles, and Fors

Now, here I am, trying to explain teach out of this book, and everybody just stares at be blankly, I get premission from the school to not use the book, and do it myself. Everything worked out.
Thanks, Ryan Marcus

<OG-Trust> I BET YOU GOT A CAR!
<OG-Trust> A JAPANESE CAR!
deadly: Big blue fatass to the rescue!
496620796F75722072656164696E6720746869732C20796F75722061206E6572642E00

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 01:37:15 am »
I teach a REALbasic class at my school (kinda sad, huh?) and he had a crappy text book that went somthing like this:

1. What is REALbasic
2. Example Code
3. Polymorphizim (I can't spell it.. Its where the class figures out which methods where called based on parameters...)
4. What is a class?
5. What is a module?
6. Laying out a program
7. Advance Functions
8. Ifs, Whiles, and Fors

Now, here I am, trying to explain teach out of this book, and everybody just stares at be blankly, I get premission from the school to not use the book, and do it myself. Everything worked out.
How big is your school?

Offline Ryan Marcus

• Cross Platform.
  • I'm Bono.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 07:42:01 am »
I don't quite now what you mean, nor do I have anything to compare it to.

Its a K - 12 school, which I know is strange..

It has about 40 people per grade, so 520 people.

We think school should be open, so anybody who thinks they can teach a class (and can prove it) is allowed to submit an applicatioin. Its either a way to get better and more specific classes, or an evil scheme to not higher more teachers ;)
Thanks, Ryan Marcus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 01:15:03 pm »

We think school should be open, so anybody who thinks they can teach a class (and can prove it) is allowed to submit an applicatioin. Its either a way to get better and more specific classes, or an evil scheme to not higher more teachers ;)
Probably the latter.  School districts that are small are generally poor.

This sounds like a very strange public school?  Is this a private school?

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 04:37:53 pm »
40 people per grade...

Not bad, my school has about 800-900 people per grade, more for the younger grades.  :P
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 08:57:42 pm »
40 people per grade...

Not bad, my school has about 800-900 people per grade, more for the younger grades.  :P
Mine has less than 40 per grade.  My graduating Senior class has 25 kids in it.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 09:02:55 pm »

Probably the latter.  School districts that are small are generally poor.

This sounds like a very strange public school?  Is this a private school?
Mine is the same way, though students can't teach classes, and it's private (for the record).

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 09:06:23 pm »
Mine is the same way, though students can't teach classes, and it's private (for the record).
Obviously.  It offers Number Theory.  :P

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 09:11:07 pm »
I think my school has something like 1000~.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Ryan Marcus

• Cross Platform.
  • I'm Bono.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 09:32:19 pm »
Its a public school, and its phisicaly quite big... it takes me about 10 minutes to walk from point to point, but maybe thats not big...

(Just a note: Students can't teach "core" classes, like math, science, social studies, and language arts, but they can be aids.)

I like the idea of students teaching the class below them... The student teaching can connect well to the students.. I bet I have one of the few classes where a teacher greats me by saying "What's up?" and actualy sounding normal...
Thanks, Ryan Marcus

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 10:07:36 pm »
Its a public school, and its phisicaly quite big... it takes me about 10 minutes to walk from point to point, but maybe thats not big...

(Just a note: Students can't teach "core" classes, like math, science, social studies, and language arts, but they can be aids.)

I like the idea of students teaching the class below them... The student teaching can connect well to the students.. I bet I have one of the few classes where a teacher greats me by saying "What's up?" and actualy sounding normal...
I'm not saying it's a bad idea.  I actually think it's an awesome idea.  You retain ~30% of the information you learn.  You retain over 90% of the material you teach.  If you think about it, it's very true.

Also, my boss seriously says "What's up man?" to me all the time.  He's 36, has a 148 IQ, but he's a kid at heart.  :)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 10:07:59 pm »

A teacher? Or a student teacher?

I actually had a teacher who was young enough that she didn't sound like a retard saying "What's up?"

Otherwise, uh, I'm out of luck. They all are like "HOW ARE YOU" or "HELLO" or "WELCOME" or even "GREETINGS" :/
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 10:09:59 pm »
A teacher? Or a student teacher?

I actually had a teacher who was young enough that she didn't sound like a retard saying "What's up?"

Otherwise, uh, I'm out of luck. They all are like "HOW ARE YOU" or "HELLO" or "WELCOME" or even "GREETINGS" :/

Most of my teachers are very cool.  There's a few exceptions (like my LA teacher who is an old lesbian... :( -- She's actually not that bad, but that fact about her bothers me).