Author Topic: Thanks for NOT censoring, x86 boards!  (Read 3041 times)

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
Thanks for NOT censoring, x86 boards!
« on: September 13, 2005, 01:40:23 pm »
Hey this might seem stupid but GIVE ME A HELL-FUCKIN-YEAH if you like the fact you can swear on these forums!

I find the censore feature totally stupid on most boards, for example why does a beastiality forum for ADULTS have a no cussing rule, or a forum with abunch of teens-adults ban you for swearing or going around the feature? You must be 13+ anyway, so who gives a fuck if you can cuss or not, I am sick of forum admins letting power goto thier head and play the nanny so much.

Simplified: cussing rules on forum = dumb.
                 Thank you for not censoring.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: Thanks for NOT censoring, x86 boards!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 01:52:08 pm »
Swearing certainly has its place....  Having said so, excessively using it can just make someone look really stupid.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 04:18:08 pm »
We can't pretend that we don't hear certin words because we don't like them.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 08:31:06 pm »
Swearing certainly has its place....  Having said so, excessively using it can just make someone look really stupid.
I agree.  As long as people are mature enough to use them properly, that's fine with me. 

That being said, that reminds me of a funny thought I had. 

Some people are "crusading" against cuss words, and they suggest alternatives.  One lady suggested saying "Santa Vacca!" instead of a swear word.  "Santa Vacca" is Spanish for "Holy Cow", which is making fun of India's beliefs that cows are sacrad..  So basically, instead of swearing, be racist!

But in all that, they have it backwards.  If you want to get rid of swear/"taboo" words, you don't censor them, you encourage them.  The reason why swear words are so powerful is because they are rare(ish).  If they wanted to get rid of swear words, they would force them into common use.  Put them on cartoons, and encourage everybody to use them.  They would lose their magic, and there would no longer BE swear words.  But those people aren't that smart, they just hate the words themselves :)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 08:40:46 pm »
Indeed.

It's like alcohol and cigarettes.

If they weren't illegal to minors, it would probably be less popular to do since it wouldn't have that feeling of "oh man, I'm so cool, watch me break the law." associated with it.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 08:52:19 pm »
Indeed.

If they weren't illegal to minors, it would probably be less popular to do since it wouldn't have that feeling of "oh man, I'm so cool, watch me break the law." associated with it.

Same with drugs! And rape! And murder!!
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 09:19:18 pm »
Ugg, swearing is already part of the language. If anyone still takes them personally, it's kind of sad.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 11:38:48 am »
I wrote this after getting banned for swearing on a board that wasn't even for children (18+)! Thats bullshit! But yeah. Glad you all agree.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 06:51:19 pm »
Indeed.

If they weren't illegal, it wouldn't make much difference. 

If they were acceptable, and not frowned upon, that would be different.  Just like swearing!

If they weren't addicting, that would change things too. 

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 04:13:03 pm »
I have never been on a forum that doesn't allow one to cuss.. That would suck if I got on one. :(

But, if that was the case and you would get banned for using words like that, you could always just not use the word.. It isn't that hard.  It's not like the word is a sign of intelligence, so who cares?
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

trust

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 05:03:38 pm »
Fuck you.

Actually, I like, never, cuss in real life. It's just something I never did, and never saw a real point for. I've noticed that some slip now, especially when I'm frustrated, or sailing, or something like that - but mostly under my breath. I do cuss online sometimes, but I find it to be much less offensive I suppose as it's text. Whateva nigga.