Author Topic: Virus Development  (Read 29649 times)

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
Re: Virus Development
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 11:55:18 pm »
I like the trojan that encrypted files and charged cash for the decryption. Any Asian kid can put "^_^_^__^_^_^" in a file and be 'witty'.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2005, 12:00:49 am »
I like the trojan that encrypted files and charged cash for the decryption. Any Asian kid can put "^_^_^__^_^_^" in a file and be 'witty'.

But they don't all exploit a program designed to protect you!

It's all of those reasons together that make it fun :)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2005, 12:03:00 am »
I'd sue him, it works the other way arround. =p

On a side note, guys, I'd apreciate it if you discussed virus development, instead of laughing at funny ones (by no means am I saying that isn't funny).
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2005, 09:12:05 am »
Trojans are so much more fun then viruses, but sadly easier to detect. Really the only fun I'd have with a "virus" would be if it detected when there was a window opened, and suddenly ended the process, but eh, those sorts of things are fun to do to people you dislike.

Or if it disable's control of the users mouse, that would be a hell of a lot of fun.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2005, 02:52:29 pm »
Trojans are so much more fun then viruses, but sadly easier to detect. Really the only fun I'd have with a "virus" would be if it detected when there was a window opened, and suddenly ended the process, but eh, those sorts of things are fun to do to people you dislike.

Or if it disable's control of the users mouse, that would be a hell of a lot of fun.
Do you know the proper definition of a Trojan?  I think what you're talking about is a remote-access-trojan, which is a subclass of Trojans.  A Trojan, like the Horse, is a program that looks nice but has an evil side.  It sneaks in under the guise of an innocent program, then infects the machine. 

Anyways, I was thinking.  Joe, those aren't viruses.  They're just annoyances.  By definition, a virus infects programs or files already on your computer.  Here is a definition from the "Free On-line Dictionary of Computing":
A program or piece of code written by a cracker that "infects"
one or more other programs by embedding a copy of itself in
them, so that they become Trojan horses. When these
programs are executed, the embedded virus is executed too,
thus propagating the "infection". This normally happens
invisibly to the user.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2005, 10:54:07 pm »
Well, I don't know if it qualifies as a program, but this infects your bootsector. =) (the latter examples, I mean)
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2005, 10:57:41 pm »
Manual Override virus is the funniest, it stopped all the fans on your comp and made it calculate pi.
-RoMi

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2005, 11:56:05 pm »
Manual Override virus is the funniest, it stopped all the fans on your comp and made it calculate pi.

I've seen some malicious trojans that overclocked the cpu to the max and have heard stories about it burning holes in the motherboard.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2005, 12:12:16 am »
Those sound like fun.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2005, 09:04:51 am »

Do you know the proper definition of a Trojan?  I think what you're talking about is a remote-access-trojan, which is a subclass of Trojans.  A Trojan, like the Horse, is a program that looks nice but has an evil side.  It sneaks in under the guise of an innocent program, then infects the machine. 

Anyways, I was thinking.  Joe, those aren't viruses.  They're just annoyances.  By definition, a virus infects programs or files already on your computer.  Here is a definition from the "Free On-line Dictionary of Computing":
invisibly to the user.
Still a falling under the definition of a trojan nonetheless.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2005, 10:38:00 am »

invisibly to the user.
But they aren't "trojans" in general, which is what you said.  And they aren't easier to detect; in fact, by the definition of a Trojan, they're harder to detect. 

Joe - you don't "infect" anything, you just overwrite.  There's a difference.

Romi/Quik - eww, user accounts shouldn't even had access to do that kind of thing, and there's a good reason :)

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2005, 11:17:20 am »

invisibly to the user.
But they aren't "trojans" in general, which is what you said.  And they aren't easier to detect; in fact, by the definition of a Trojan, they're harder to detect. 

Joe - you don't "infect" anything, you just overwrite.  There's a difference.

Romi/Quik - eww, user accounts shouldn't even had access to do that kind of thing, and there's a good reason :)
A remote control trojan would however, because it's obviously sending out packets, if you turn off anything else that is needs to connect to the internet to work, you can easily find out. Now if you'd answer my AIMs that would be great.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2005, 01:10:59 pm »
A remote control trojan would however, because it's obviously sending out packets, if you turn off anything else that is needs to connect to the internet to work, you can easily find out. Now if you'd answer my AIMs that would be great.

It's not "remote control trojan", the class of trojans is named "Remote Access Trojan", or "RAT". 

I don't understand what you mean by the next sentence.  I know of very few trojans or viruses (yes, viruses, virii isn't a proper word) that turn off your internet connection since they're usually trying to stay hidden. 

When I got your message you were offline so I closed the Window.  Plus, I haven't answered anybody this morning, I've spent all morning going to the store, eating breakfast, fixing my aunt's computer, helping my mom paint a room, and helping my stepdad clean the swimming pool.  I'm not exactly sitting here waiting for messages. 

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2005, 01:49:06 pm »

It's not "remote control trojan", the class of trojans is named "Remote Access Trojan", or "RAT". 

I don't understand what you mean by the next sentence.  I know of very few trojans or viruses (yes, viruses, virii isn't a proper word) that turn off your internet connection since they're usually trying to stay hidden. 

When I got your message you were offline so I closed the Window.  Plus, I haven't answered anybody this morning, I've spent all morning going to the store, eating breakfast, fixing my aunt's computer, helping my mom paint a room, and helping my stepdad clean the swimming pool.  I'm not exactly sitting here waiting for messages. 

You also never answer any other message I send you.

And, for the remote access trojan thing, it's very easy to tell, as seen in the link below.

http://screend-productions.net/packsk.gif

If you run a packet sniffer throughout the night, with every other program that needs to connect/has the ability to connect to the internet to work (i.e. Steam, AIM, MSN, Firefox, whatever), you can tell if you do have something sending out information about your computer on a regular basis, because chances are it's going to do it atleast once every so and so number of hours, and if it wants to send anything, there's going to be another IP involved, which a good packet sniffer will pick up. (Note: I never said ever it'll get rid of the trojan (remote access, don't get technical on this iago) it'll just give you some way of knowing you have one.)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 02:11:52 pm by Scr33n0r »

Offline Sidoh

• MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2005, 02:15:02 pm »
That's a lot of work for trying to justify an ignorant mistake, Screenor.  Maybe you should just accept iago's right? O_o