Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Router
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005, 10:32:45 pm »
Wireless tends to be very flaky.  If it's going through at least one wall, it could be getting blocked by electrical wiring.  If there's a microwave in the house, or a cordless phone, or your neighbour has wireless, that could affect it too. 

If you need a consistant connection, don't use wireless. 

I share my wireless connection with my brothers and my neighbor and they maintain about the same amount of stability as myself and as for interference, we have a 2.4 ghz cordless phone in the house and there are atleast 4 other wireless networks within range.

I generally have the most problems with the encryption.  I was originally using WPA which, until I upgraded my firmware, dropped the wireless clients every few minutes.  I then later tried out WPA2 when I downloaded a newer firmware upgrade which dropped the wireless clients every few hours and then finally upgraded again and now I have great stability.  What I learned: Don't put too much faith in newly added features.

Be careful if you are (or anybody is) using WPA on Linksys's WRT54G wireless router, which is one of the most common ones.  There was recently disclosed a weakness that allowed anybody to connect to it.  There might be an update, I'm not sure, but you can probably find the advisory by googling it. 

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2005, 11:02:21 pm »
Wireless tends to be very flaky.  If it's going through at least one wall, it could be getting blocked by electrical wiring.  If there's a microwave in the house, or a cordless phone, or your neighbour has wireless, that could affect it too. 

I share my wireless connection with my brothers and my neighbor and they maintain about the same amount of stability as myself and as for interference, we have a 2.4 ghz cordless phone in the house and there are atleast 4 other wireless networks within range.

I generally have the most problems with the encryption.  I was originally using WPA which, until I upgraded my firmware, dropped the wireless clients every few minutes.  I then later tried out WPA2 when I downloaded a newer firmware upgrade which dropped the wireless clients every few hours and then finally upgraded again and now I have great stability.  What I learned: Don't put too much faith in newly added features.

Be careful if you are (or anybody is) using WPA on Linksys's WRT54G wireless router, which is one of the most common ones.  There was recently disclosed a weakness that allowed anybody to connect to it.  There might be an update, I'm not sure, but you can probably find the advisory by googling it. 

I'm always up-to-date on the firmware upgrades, and I'm running WPA2 over IPSec along with MAC address filtering and the wireless clients are not only isolated from each other, but they're isolated from the rest of the internal network as well, so I'm definately being careful.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 11:25:36 pm by LoRd[nK] »

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2005, 12:11:12 am »
Linksys is good, but I lose connection a lot! But, sometimes I gain it back in a few seconds, or even minutes. Mostly just a few seconds. But, other than that Linksys is good from what I have seen.

P.S.
Does anyone know how to stop this problem? And, does anyone else have this problem?

Upgrade your router's firmware.

Wow, leave it to LoRd to ruin my topic!! :'(   :p
My sister's getting a laptop... So, I suppose it'd need wireless.. Any suggestions? I just don't know anything about routers, and I need a not-so-expensive one that works. It doesn't need to be wireless, but it'd make everything easy.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2005, 11:13:42 pm »

I'm always up-to-date on the firmware upgrades, and I'm running WPA2 over IPSec along with MAC address filtering and the wireless clients are not only isolated from each other, but they're isolated from the rest of the internal network as well, so I'm definately being careful.  ;)

I'm unsure whether or not Linksys put out an update.  I remember seeing the original advisory, but I don't remember seeing an update. 

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2005, 11:16:35 pm »
I was looking, and I saw this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833147009 I was wondering if ny of you thought it would work. All I need it for is connecting two desktops (one of which may get linux on it) and a laptop to the internet via my cable modem.